The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Ohhhhh .. 320 sold you a clio then ...

I've not quite reached that level of depravity...

It's 40 miles from home and broken, need to work out how to get it home. I shall update my thread in due course. Don't get excited, it's an 11 year old jap hatchback so the only thing that's Autoshite is the price...

Civic broken itself.

This bright red light made itself known today. At least I've never noticed it in over 6 years of ownership.

[Video]

Doing a code scan brings up the code B1029 - No Communication with Ultrasonic Sensor. I have found German cars tend to make a big song and dance if something like this fails, with it giving big warnings on the dash. French cars just pretend the alarm didn't exist in the first place. But very typical of Honda i find is that they'll let you know, but very subtle and cryptic.

So as I don't want to risk the alarm going off at night, this had to happen for now.

0c048375ce19566d133ab0e47cf9b739.jpg

3d5dfa0c9f0fd81477da6149c04f3b93.jpg

b40ac3b6c65b10f7745e10ea6bbf9b3f.jpg

290976d12aa098769a98c6b0829b67cb.jpg

I suspect I can just leave disconnected which ever connector is the ultrasonic sensors. Might have to pull apart this plastic bit to know for sure.

Ideally I'd disable the alarm entirely, but I have no idea how to do that on Honda's. I guess it'll require a trip to somewhere with a Honda Diagnostic System tool.

With the civic alarm there is a way of locking it without enabling the ultra sonics . Can’t remember it for the life of me now but I used to show customers with dogs how to do it

According to the manual you pull the outside handle and lock the inside drivers door lock. Like you would on a car where you want to lock the drivers door without using the door key.

What really annoys me on the Civic alarm is that there is no way to turn off the alarm system except with the remote key fob. If you unlock the doors with the door keys, the alarm will go off. Starting the engine doesn't cancel the alarm like most cars do and will continue to sound. As one of my keys remote fob is very temperamental (seems to be the battery contacts - despite resoldering it), I'm currently down to one key as I can't use it.

I get the feeling that the car is getting to the age where a lot of stuff is starting to fail and be end of life. But while it carries on being only niggly things that break, I'm just going to keep on truckin'.

Where's the alarm horn? Can you remove that!

I have considered that but the hazards will probably still flash away. On Renault if you disconnect the siren the whole alarm system is disabled. Unfortunately I don't think it works that way with Honda as it's factory fit into the body computer.

Not sure where the siren is either!

Pretty sure I've tried that but it didn't work and the alarm set itself as normal. I'll give it another go though as I may have remembered the wrong car.

Yeah, the Omega was like that. No way to lock it and NOT set the alarm. Then the alarm would randomly go off. Car alarms give me many angers, and the standard fitment of them just makes me want to scream and invoke my own Junkman-esque cut-off point when all cars turned to shit.

Had a road rage incident with a bloke in a Nissan Juke this morning.  Obstructed, narrow road.  He came super fast around a narrow, blind corner so I pulled into a gap to let him past.  He winds down his window and starts shouting about right of way.  I told him that I couldn't have seem him because he was 'screaming around the corner' and then told him to 'fuck off and go to work'.

Not like me at all.  Nevertheless the discussion ended on my terms...

Suprisingly shaken up by it...

Alarm is still engaging even when locked with the key in the door. I have two keys but only one working keyfob. So if this buggers up too, then the car is buggered with no way of turning off the alarm.

[Video]

Weirdly the red alarm warning light has stopped lighting up when turning the ignition on and off like it was doing yesterday. Maybe it's given up trying to talk to the ultrasonic sensors?

If I can't disable the alarm, it could well be the thing that sends this car off to the scrapyard.

......there is no way to turn off the alarm system except with the remote key fob. If you unlock the doors with the door keys, the alarm will go off. Starting the engine doesn't cancel the alarm like most cars do....

Lot of cars do that - I had to drive an old Audi A6 20 miles with the alarm going off because I didn’t have tools to disable it and the key broke :D

The remote sensor on the diesel Borat failed about two years ago, but the system is designed to give you about 20 seconds' grace to unlock the driver's door with the key, and then get the key into the ignition and turn it to "run", which disarms the alarm. The remote fob still works, but is useless if the sensor no longer detects it.