The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Been out today and helped a neighbor check on his lock up. He’s had it nearly 30 years but not been inside for the last 4 or 5 years!

He’s thinking about clearing it out and getting rid of the lock up but wanted to see what, if anything was still inside. He’d been putting it off as someone had told him it’d been broken into and the locks changed. Got there and it was just as he’d left it fortunately.

Aside from the years old tools and bits & bobs, we found a really old belt driven air compressor, pre 80 Yamaha RD250 (couldn’t find the number plate but keys still in the ignition!), and an old stripped down pre 63 registration Triumph motorbike of some sort. It’s frame is still sat there and the engine was on the floor at the back, the engine has been stripped and rebuilt but never been used!

Always interesting to see what’s been sat in garages for years.

Nowt so queer as folk, though! Think if I had an old Trumpet and RD stashed away and someone said "break-in" I might have gone and had a look.....!

He knew the Triumph was in there but there’s so much clutter in there you couldnt see the Yamaha. It was only when we started sorting through stuff it became visible. He didn’t even know he had it!

It’s complete and in reasonable state too for something that’s sat for ages. There’s still ok smelling petrol in the tank.

God knows why he didn’t go check for so long though.

The Triumph engine I lifted out for him and took it back to his house. It’s complete too, even still got its tiny carb still. It’s clearly been rebuilt and it’s spotless inside.

post-4771-0-01633500-1519493439_thumb.jpg

Serviced the passat. Looks like it had not been touched for a while - air filter was crosland and fuel filter an unknown make so I sumise somebody did'nt want to spend much. Air and oil filter were bosch and the fuel filter was mann.

Tomrrow I need to do something with intercooler pipes as they are dripping oil as well as the undertray - held on with cable ties. Forgotten how much easier things are with the car on ramps.

Looks like teh SOUTH (OK most of the eastern seaboard) is going to get some OMGSNOKAOS. I hope you've stocked up on tins...

attachicon.gif28166278_1661878410571365_2823336450225275562_n.png

I may put the studded tyres back on the bicycle tomorrow then. I’m planning on going to Walton bridge breakfast car meeting in the morning. Anyone else local going?

Seems the Micra is getting 25mpg or worse... a heavy foot on the moors may not be helping, getting a Fuelly account and going to keep closer tabs on my fuel usage.

try using 5th gear , I keep saying that to my wife when hers is screaming along the bypass at 65 in 4th , learnt to drive in a 4 speed car !!!

What I thought was just a perished hose on the Chrysler Graf Zeppelin looks more and more like omghgf. Which is annoying with little money for garage repairs in the kitty, and winter supposed to be making a reappearance. It doesn't owe us anything though tbh, having been decidedly undemanding for nearly 3 years. Head gaskets ain't supposed to be expensive for these so I may be popping my head off cherry in the near future. On the other hand, Mrs CW greeted the unhappy news with musings about a stealth camper to replace it, so it's not all bad.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Feckin' battery in the CX had discharged over the course of the week. Gave it a quick charge, gave the suspension a bit of exercise:

post-23014-0-17735500-1519498291_thumb.jpg

post-23014-0-32521800-1519498464_thumb.jpg

Not much wrong with suspension. New H3 bulbs in inner high beams. They work!

CX started up. Going well, I thought. Then noticed small spot of oil underneath engine. There must be a leak....but where!? Definitely not LHM.

Must have dislodged something when connecting the battery charger - horn doesn't feckin' work now *facepalm*

Feckin' battery in the CX had discharged over the course of the week. Gave it a quick charge, gave the suspension a bit of exercise:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180224_174513.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180224_174531.jpg

Not much wrong with suspension. New H3 bulbs in inner high beams. They work!

CX started up. Going well, I thought. Then noticed small spot of oil underneath engine. There must be a leak....but where!? Definitely not LHM.

Must have dislodged something when connecting the battery charger - horn doesn't feckin' work now *facepalm*

Fiamm air horns? Loads of connections next to the battery. Just clean everything with contact cleaner and Vaseline them.

It’s a 25gti auto? Not one I’ve had, but I cleaned everything on my cars with autoglym engine cleaner and then saw what leaked fresh oil.