Father Ted

The new news 24 thread

New today, i made an 8mm square drive to change the GB oil on my car from an old extension and my bench grinder.

Fits a treat.

I ground a 'square end' onto a cap bolt, for the Renault (my Savvy) drain plug.

I put the hex bit out of my impact driver into the cap socket & a ring spanner on the hex bit = sounds a faff, but nice easy leverage Gudd Gudd ;)

TS

I’ve a feeling it was mentioned by dollywobbler, but mark Williams has just sent me a copy of the classic motoring review.

http://www.classicmotoringreview.uk

It’s an a5 sized smartly printed booklet. Not a magazine really. There are a couple of articles on the 2cv which is why I’ve been sent a copy. But also......

ISSUE NO 2 – WINTER 2018

Published early January, the contents include an account of driving a Daimler 30-40 from London to Spain – in 1906!, the fascinating if chequered history of glassfibre cars, Nuvolari’s most extraordinary grand prix races, one woman’s 35 year love affair with her Morris Traveler, Douglas Blain’s affectionate obituary for the Lamborghini Miura, John Simister in praise of the much-underrated Hillman Imp, the legendary engineer-racer Bill Milliken and his assault on Pikes Peak in a Bugatti, Steve Cropley on the last gasp of Citroen’s 2CV and three owners love affair with la petite escargot, Richard Bremner on the Argyll – a lesser known Scottish supercar, Colin Goodwin’s attempt to cross the Channel in an aquatic Ford Fiesta and so much more…

I’m impressed so far, and will take it to work tomorrow to read.

post-8687-0-40771600-1519328801_thumb.jpeg

post-8687-0-61839500-1519328882_thumb.jpeg

So, Dome, what did you do on your final night of your thirties?

I went and bought a broken, shit car of course.

Sounds perfectly reasonable! On the last night of my twenties I sat in six_cylinders field with Heidel_Kakao and his dog using a citroen visa as a beer table!

Ohhhhh .. 320 sold you a clio then ...

I've not quite reached that level of depravity...

It's 40 miles from home and broken, need to work out how to get it home. I shall update my thread in due course. Don't get excited, it's an 11 year old jap hatchback so the only thing that's Autoshite is the price...

Civic broken itself.

This bright red light made itself known today. At least I've never noticed it in over 6 years of ownership.

[Video]

Doing a code scan brings up the code B1029 - No Communication with Ultrasonic Sensor. I have found German cars tend to make a big song and dance if something like this fails, with it giving big warnings on the dash. French cars just pretend the alarm didn't exist in the first place. But very typical of Honda i find is that they'll let you know, but very subtle and cryptic.

So as I don't want to risk the alarm going off at night, this had to happen for now.

0c048375ce19566d133ab0e47cf9b739.jpg

3d5dfa0c9f0fd81477da6149c04f3b93.jpg

b40ac3b6c65b10f7745e10ea6bbf9b3f.jpg

290976d12aa098769a98c6b0829b67cb.jpg

I suspect I can just leave disconnected which ever connector is the ultrasonic sensors. Might have to pull apart this plastic bit to know for sure.

Ideally I'd disable the alarm entirely, but I have no idea how to do that on Honda's. I guess it'll require a trip to somewhere with a Honda Diagnostic System tool.

Guest Hooli

Yes. It was the one I picked you up in the station in when you bought my 9-5. ;)

I was referring to DodgeRover's XT500 story.