The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Maybe a bit too soon just right now, but it might be worth writing to Hendrys father to let him know of this place. Not for him, his mother or his ex, but for his little girl. The daughter who will grow up without knowing really what her father was like. When she gets older, and if this place is still around, she may want to revisit his old posts to understand who what he liked, what interested him and who her father was.

Its a shame, his daughter would have had the best fucking example of a 2003 Corsa C Sri ever for her first car. Original tax disc holder and dealer plates and all.

Maybe a bit too soon just right now, but it might be worth writing to Hendrys father to let him know of this place. Not for him, his mother or his ex, but for his little girl. The daughter who will grow up without knowing really what her father was like. When she gets older, and if this place is still around, she may want to revisit his old posts to understand who what he liked, what interested him and who her father was.

Good idea.

Print all his posts out. Maybe edit a few, but get them sent to his daughter when she is older. Am sure someone local could organise that.

Also, I really hope the hearse will be on local plates

Good idea.

Print all his posts out. Maybe edit a few, but get them sent to his daughter when she is older. Am sure someone local could organise that.

Also, I really hope the hearse will be on local plates

With enough time spent with his old posts we could create the most comprehensive vauxhall wiki ever!

Today started well :(

Had a message about 20 minutes ago, I'm very sorry to say that Hendry of this parish took his own life yesterday evening at the age of 30.

Some of his more recent struggles were documented on here, none of which were good - I can only hope he is now at peace.

I did have the pleasure of meeting him a few times and a nicer bloke you could not hope to meet.

All of you - it is never as bad as you think. PLEASE talk to someone if you're having a time of it, it will help.

R.I.P. Greg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oh shit I'm sorry for him and those close to him

I wonder if a tiny bit of good could come of this?

So many shiters with mental health issues. Could we have a pinned thread somewhere with links to possible ways of getting support - NHS, charities, other shiters (I believe we have some who have worked in the field) etc. Just an idea.

I'm sorry to hear about Hendry. I am another shiter who suffers from depression and fortunately I am on the mend and currently trying to get off the medication I am on and get back to normal, as in being a normal human being. I look back and see that my depression was a long term thing but not an intense, deep hole. I am hopefully within a few months of giving up medication entirely as little bits of my life start picking up in small steps. There is nothing though that says this can't change for the worse again at some point in the future but I feel better equipped to spot the signs and do something about it.

We have a predominately male environment here, and men are reputedly notorious for not asking for help when they should and at a time when it would be appropriate. Any help we can offer or direct fellow shiters towards should be part of our legacy from now onward.

I've returned to this thread a few times today in shock, hoping that I'd read it wrong and it wasn't true.

I never met Greg, but like many, enjoyed his contributions here.

So sad for his loved ones left behind.

Like Mo, I feel guilty for not having reached out.

I hope he is at peace now at least.

Sad news. I saw the comment about "non suicidal" and did wonder whether the opposite might be true. Would be lovely if someone who knew him well could contact the father and make him aware, at the appropriate time, of this place.

We have a predominately male environment here, and men are reputedly notorious for not asking for help when they should and at a time when it would be appropriate. Any help we can offer or direct fellow shiters towards should be part of our legacy from now onward.

YES.

Seriously chaps. Open your mouths/type on keyboard, just let it all out. Too scared? A bit embarrassed? Send me a private PM. If I can help even just a little bit, I will.

This is terrible news. Poor lad and all the people who knew him.

I saw one of his posts the other day and did think that reading between the lines that he sounded desperate but just moved on as had other unimportant shit to be getting on with. Obviously now, reading this I feel terrible for fecking off and playing trains with me lad or making a friggin sandwich or whatever I ended up doing, despite the fact that there was probably nowt I could've done as he almost certainly wouldn't listen to some twat he's never spoken to anyway as he had more important stuff going off in his head. But still I feel like a right bastard now though.

I've been in some pretty shitty low times like a lot of people, I'm not sure if they were worse or better than anyone else its all subjective I guess. Its probably because I am shallow or a psycho or something but I have got through it by taking comfort in the fact that I look at people getting on with shit in war torn Syria or some shit and put it into perspective to my own shizzle but not everyone can rationalise like that I guess, that's just my way of dealing with it and if that helps someone else I may as well put it out there.   

To anyone ever thinking like that, things can get better. They can get worse too though but if you can hold on to find out, I'd recommend it. 99 times out of 100 its probably worth it.

Shocked to read this, very sad. RIP Hendry.

Having been through a very messy divorce and losing contact with a 5 year old and 1 year old I know how demoralising it can be. Court cases for more or less two years before it was sorted. Regular access, holidays and ended up with them now grown up and me having two grand children. The idea of them being turned against me or losing them at the time never came to be.

Plenty of people told me it would sort itself out in time but it didn't feel like it at the time. Just mentioning so anyone else finding themselves in that position, don't despair, be there for them and time will work it out. As others say, don't keep problems to yourself, just someone to listen to your woes can help. Doctors are also far more receptive to MH problems these days so never be afraid to mention it to the Doctor either.

Wonder if we could do a card.

So get a big card, those who wish to contribute will sign a sticker and send to the card holder. Then we can create a card from those of us who wish to be part of it.

Hendry Card thread now open -http://autoshite.com/topic/31158-hendry-card-thread/

Raising a glass to him tonight. I’m still absolutely in a state of disbelief.

I went out and fitted the repro dealer plates on my Shuma last night, in the cold. Thought of him and and grandfather. Silly but felt a good time to do it. Shame i fell over the recycling bucket after but there you go.

I'm shocked, absolutely awful news. His knowledge of Scottish car dealers and cars was tremendous, we must not lose what he has had the good grace to share with us on here. His Flickr stream was a treasure trove and should also be presrved

Everybody with whom we cross paths is fighting a battle we know nothing about. Be kind, always.

Only met Greg the once....... thoroughly nice chap. The amount of info he could recite as just phenomenal - gobsmacking.

I know a lot of us on here and around us in real life have the 'real' life things to deal with and some of it isn't pretty. We get to low points sometimes - it's human. I hope that I'm never too proud or in such a situation that I see only one way out. As has been said before - my line is (almost) always open one way or another.

Sleep easy Greg - I hope they do Corsa SRis up there as runabouts. Far too young........