The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Driving along a road just round the corner from the house and some arsehole waiting to turn into a side street inexplicably trys to turn into it before I pass, had to slam the anchors on and swerve almost onto the pavement on the other side of the road to avoid him by inches. Still fucking shaking. He got out to apologise to me and I couldn't even say anything, just shook my head and drove off. The positive point of the story is the Merc's brakes work very fucking well

Good car that one. Well done for not spoiling it (!)

I'm in Bulgaria skiing. Not much shite seen so far.

Haven't skied for 23 years. My 15 year old son went with his school last year. Been out for over 5 hours today-10 mins on nursery slopes, then green now on blue. I'm absoloutely bollocksed. He'll have to carry me to dinner and then the bar.

I,ll keep my eyes open for shite.

Steve

Rr

Entirely unsurprised, my commute around Glasgow is a bumpy, uncomfortable one where dense traffic and narrow lanes means pothole avoidance often isn't possible, there are also area of road which are constantly flooded and reduce 2-lanes of traffic into one.

My street is a quiet residential example, one way with cars parked down either side. It also features massive potholes and large chunks of street that have cracked and started to collapse. Just before Christmas the council came around and "fixed" this by pouring asphalt into the holes and... Erm, that was it. Naturally the winter weather means that freeze thaw action made this fail pretty much instanty leaving an even worse road surface which is now covered in loose bits of pavement which get pinged all over the place by passing traffic (including peppering my cars with stone chips) and have collected in gutters blocking the street's drainage...

The fact that the money is being put into trains is slightly boggling given the frequency with which they are late, cancelled or simply broken down at which point your end up using a bus which is back on the shit roads again.

Just checked the MOT site to see how my old Dot’s Mercedes fared. It’s a 2007 220CDI with 70k on the clock, so should be little to concern.

Anyway, four days to go and Dad hasn’t put it in yet. Knowing him, he was waiting for someone to pay him first before spending.

Nope.

Got this from Mum an hour ago.

75b3f3448316bdf69e0a8459a152ca31.jpg

She isn’t even joking. She’s ignoring my calls too!

Fair play. 68 this week and not averse to being rash. Her own Mum didn’t make it to 68, and that’s always in the back of my mind. I’ll be delighted for her if she spaffs my inheritance on one. Especially if it’s a GT.

Big love, Ma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well emergency shuffling today for me after hitting a massive fuckoff pothole in the Volvo & breaking it. Two wheels knackered, two tyres knackered and suspension damage. FUN!

Thing is I need a car to get me to work for 5:30 every morning this week. So the 75 has had to come out of hibernation - I was a bit concerned after not even opening the garage door since the beginning of November, however a quick check of the fluids, new battery and fired up as if it was a warm start - no tappets, nothing.

Will be nice wafting about in this while the Volvo gets fettled!

post-18062-0-66509000-1518971844_thumb.jpg

Was gonna roll the sleeves up and crack on with the Streetwise this afternoon (round two of SCU removal) but PTSD decided to throw a spanner into the works. Hoping I'll get some pointers off the PTSD crowd. To be fair, Tom did warn me about keeping the car going as the battery may* fail.

Five weeks into ownership and I have my first fail to proceed. Think it's down to lack of use and cold weather. Been stood outside the house (on the road) for a week. Went to start it yesterday as had to jiggle my cars around as I'm taking the Streetwise off the road for a few days to sort out the electrics, so need the PT for my commute. Started first time, reversed it, moved the Streetwise, back to the PT, started first time, moved it about 10 metres. Switched off. 

This morning, failed to start. All dash lights on as normal, but limited crank, and then nothing. Tried again, just get the starter relay clicking but not cranking at all. 

Voltage off the battery around 11.5 according to one of those Chinese FM transmitter thingies - is that the problem ? Not enough juice ? 

Tried a jump start off the Streetwise, but still no dice, still the clicking.

Ludicrous location for the batteries on these - under the passenger seat with very little room indeed. Battery wedged in solid, can't get at terminals. You jump start under the bonnet by using a jump post for the +ve, and engine block for -ve. Looks like the seat will have to come out. Bumshitbollox

Have had to make Streetwise match fit again - SCU still jammed behind evap unit, put sound deadening material and mats back - shouldn't be a problem.

Just checked the MOT site to see how my old Dot’s Mercedes fared. It’s a 2007 220CDI with 70k on the clock, so should be little to concern.

Anyway, four days to go and Dad hasn’t put it in yet. Knowing him, he was waiting for someone to pay him first before spending.

Nope.

Got this from Mum an hour ago.

75b3f3448316bdf69e0a8459a152ca31.jpg

She isn’t even joking. She’s ignoring my calls too!

Fair play. 68 this week and not averse to being rash. Her own Mum didn’t make it to 68, and that’s always in the back of my mind. I’ll be delighted for her if she spaffs my inheritance on one. Especially if it’s a GT.

Big love, Ma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nnngggghhh

Only car I’d seriously consider getting ticked up for has to be a ‘stang

I've seriously considered it too. I'm waiting for the 2018 model to hit the shores here. With its 10 speed auto, improved safety and revised styling, I'm hoping the current ones will finally drop in value. All they've done since being released is stay at the same value but just the mileage on the second hand examples has gone up.

Was gonna roll the sleeves up and crack on with the Streetwise this afternoon (round two of SCU removal) but PTSD decided to throw a spanner into the works. Hoping I'll get some pointers off the PTSD crowd. To be fair, Tom did warn me about keeping the car going as the battery may* fail.

Five weeks into ownership and I have my first fail to proceed. Think it's down to lack of use and cold weather. Been stood outside the house (on the road) for a week. Went to start it yesterday as had to jiggle my cars around as I'm taking the Streetwise off the road for a few days to sort out the electrics, so need the PT for my commute. Started first time, reversed it, moved the Streetwise, back to the PT, started first time, moved it about 10 metres. Switched off. This morning, failed to start. All dash lights on as normal, but limited crank, and then nothing. Tried again, just get the starter relay clicking but not cranking at all. Voltage off the battery around 11.5 according to one of those Chinese FM transmitter thingies - is that the problem ? Not enough juice ? Tried a jump start off the Streetwise, but still no dice, still the clicking.

Ludicrous location for the batteries on these - under the passenger seat with very little room indeed. Battery wedged in solid, can't get at terminals. You jump start under the bonnet by using a jump post for the +ve, and engine block for -ve. Looks like the seat will have to come out. Bumshitbollox

Have had to make Streetwise match fit again - SCU still jammed behind evap unit, put sound deadening material and mats back - shouldn't be a problem.

Battery is off a Fiesta. Starting the PT sucks all its juice out. Needs a few miles to recharge. Battery will pull out with enough force. I shoved it in there by hand so it should come out without removing the seat! Ideally I would have looked for PT Cruiser being broken and bought the battery off one as a new one is £160

Entirely unsurprised, my commute around Glasgow is a bumpy, uncomfortable one where dense traffic and narrow lanes means pothole avoidance often isn't possible, there are also area of road which are constantly flooded and reduce 2-lanes of traffic into one.

My street is a quiet residential example, one way with cars parked down either side. It also features massive potholes and large chunks of street that have cracked and started to collapse. Just before Christmas the council came around and "fixed" this by pouring asphalt into the holes and... Erm, that was it. Naturally the winter weather means that freeze thaw action made this fail pretty much instanty leaving an even worse road surface which is now covered in loose bits of pavement which get pinged all over the place by passing traffic (including peppering my cars with stone chips) and have collected in gutters blocking the street's drainage...

The fact that the money is being put into trains is slightly boggling given the frequency with which they are late, cancelled or simply broken down at which point your end up using a bus which is back on the shit roads again.

All part of the government's amazing 'Nationalise the railway*' scheme.

*nationalise in the sense of giving it to the Dutch National Railway to run. It's making me nostalgic for the efficiency* and competence* of First Bus who had the franchise previously.

Sorry for the source (Daily Snail), but bloody heck at this:

[Video]

Thank goodness the other, innocent party was in a modern car. Sounds like the car tried automatically phoned the emergency services too. Still, I bet they're still suffering from neck and spine injuries still.

Battery is off a Fiesta. Starting the PT sucks all its juice out. Needs a few miles to recharge. Battery will pull out with enough force. I shoved it in there by hand so it should come out without removing the seat! Ideally I would have looked for PT Cruiser being broken and bought the battery off one as a new one is £160

Cheers Tom - yeah. guessed by the shape it was a 'normal' battery. Thanks for the heads up - I'll grab meself three shredded wheat at the weekend and MTFU. That'll learn me to want to drive the Streetwise more.

Got a look at the Burd's Clio exclusive - it had done itself a mischief and pissed out all it's gearbox oil..

post-17572-0-33033900-1519044404_thumb.jpg

This was partially down to a failure to reseat the shaft properly, but also due to

A BLOODY GREAT BIG TEAR in the gaiter.

post-17572-0-85130200-1519044535_thumb.jpg

Looks like the most simple solution is a new driveshaft.

#funweekendthen

Got a look at the Burd's Clio exclusive - it had done itself a mischief and pissed out all it's gearbox oil..

attachicon.gifIMG_20180218_132202.jpg

This was partially down to a failure to reseat the shaft properly, but also due to

A BLOODY GREAT BIG TEAR in the gaiter.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180218_135645.jpg

Looks like the most simple solution is a new driveshaft.

#funweekendthen

Good news on having found a fault, at least it pissed out the oil while parked so it was noticed!

Stock car almost finished, just needs sign writing.

Start it up............no.......no spark. Change Coil pack..no. Change flywheel sensor..no.

Take ECU and loom to my mates, put this on your car see if it works... "Can't starters knackered.

I'll take my loom and ECU off, go and try it on yours."

Thanks.....Brumm, Brumm.

It was the loom at fault, £70. Could have been worse ECU is £400.

Suspect wire broken inside plug, but not supposed to mess with them because rules.

Ordered loom, just got to take his back now, 1 hr each way.