Reginald Nutsack's K-series Kapers - ROVER 623 MOT GUFF

Mr_Bo11ox

Anyhow, I have a gearbox for you, from that 1994 MPi 214.

It's still "in" a front cut I have stashed in the field. It's been there for about three years, but it's had a bonnet over the engine bay, so it's not like it's been in a hedge for yonks or owt.

Feck.

If we'd known two weeks ago, I could have delivered it (Testes lives about 12 miles from me).

Time machine, anyone...?

;)

I was thinking to suggest removing the cable and trying it but that's gotta be in the gearbox.

I do wonder if it's worth disconnecting the cable, then trying to start it in gear to see if it then drives. I find it odd that a gearbox fault could cause just a bit of drive. I would have thought it'd either drive or sound like a Simca with no oil in it.

I do wonder if it's worth disconnecting the cable, then trying to start it in gear to see if it then drives. I find it odd that a gearbox fault could cause just a bit of drive. I would have thought it'd either drive or sound like a Simca with no oil in it.

This. Disconnect and start in gear dude. You need to discount the clutch operation system first. If it bites grand,adjustment is odd.

Mr.B, I suspect that your box has suffered the usual PSA box crownwheel failure. The crownwheel and diff are not bolted together, they are a press fit (with some fairly minute teeth machined between them to prevent them from moving in relation to each other).

That's absolutely fine for a 1100cc TU in a lightweight AX, but with larger engines in heavier bodies, the assembly isn't beefy enough and the crownwheel begins spinning independently of the diff.

The result is complete lack of forward motion (in the earlier stages, you can have forward motion if the car is moving down a slope but a pronounced clutch slipping effect when on the flat or going uphill).

So I reckon the fault is in your gearbox. One option is to dismantle the whole lot and MIG the two bits back together. Back in the day, hot 106/Saxo owners would do this in advance, to prevent the problem. Another option is a new gearbox, should be less hassle in the short term but nothing tells you the new gearbox won't develop the same problem in the future. My old BX14 went through two replacement boxes in 20K miles...

Hey thats very interesting, cheers SF

If the broken gearbox can be repaired with a MIG that sounds mega (I.e. total cost £0) although I would have a fear of loads of springs and ballbearings falling out as I opened up the box. Are you aware of any online guides for this?

If it's possible to do without removing the crownwheel from the pinion then maybe it's worth a try with the MIG.  If you've got to set up the backlash again that's a more skilled job, although maybe worth a try with your local yellow pages to see if they can do it?  Then at least it'll be a known good gearbox.

You're far more likely to find a guide for the MA box than the R65, so minor details will be slightly different.

There used to be a couple of guides in the 106/Saxo forums, but I couldn't find anything with a quick google.

I did find a suggestion that the old 205 Haynes manual had a proper MA box rebuild section, rather than the "just take it to a garage" recommendation of the later version. There's a couple of them on the 'bay for under £5 :

$_57.JPG

It's 161cm wide at the sills.

Length is about 170 to that cut around the gear lever, which could be removed and cut shorter.

post-1381-0-94868100-1425824357_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-32007800-1425824744_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-33627200-1425824825_thumb.jpg

We have a choice of trailers you could borrow, but that would be a pain returning it.

post-1381-0-84714800-1425825089_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-69166100-1423607822.jpg

Or do you want me to ask Will if fancies doing a veg-powered delivery for £beer?

We're at BD23.

Hey Kruj!!!!

If there is any resonable way for Will to veg it down to me that would be amazing cos i am gonna have to borrow a trailer from someone and lose a day coming to get it and I'm not sure when I'm gonna have time to do that. Obv I would pay for such a service. I'm at DE6 (home) and/or CW5 (workshop)

Years ago I had to fix a similar issue with a slipped ring gear. There was NFW I was taking the gearbox out (can't recall what car it was but it was an auto. Possibly a Golf Mark 2) but I used some method of cutting a hole in the bellhousing about 2 inches across to enable me to belt the ring gear back on with a hammer and long socket extension before migging the bastard on. A similar trick could be used here. But:

-make sure the hole is at the top, well above the oil level. 

-swill the box out with paraffin 

-Find some way of plugging the hole again.

Where is the drain hole on this? If it's in the diff area you may be in luck.

Like your style there Rev BJ!!! Flippin great, I love stuff like that.

I hav found a pdf of a the Rover R65 overhaul manual and it doesnt look too hellish to get it to bits enough to get a mig on the diff. I think I am gonna get this 'sawn-off' off Kruj and strip the engine and box out of it ready. Then i think i am gonna remove the box from mine and attempt to open it up and repair it. If, as is likely, the repair goes pear shaped I can just fit the replacement box.

That's an idea. Maybe drain the oil out of it first to stop it cooling the crownwheel/catching fire. Oh, and watch for it suddenly accelerating across your yard and ploughing into your gazebo.

I once saw a filum of them making train axles like it too, both halves are machined and then the halves are put together and spun until the heat welds them together.

Reg_B, I have a good back light for you - fiver for that ok?

Will has replied with some positive noises, possibly for Weds pm or Thurs... I told him to chime in here when he gets off work tonight.

Your CW5 workshop is probably easier.

OK ace!!! well I'm at work through the day but could get up to the workshop by about 5.30-6pm on weds or thurs.

£5 is a BWARG

Got the latest Ms_Nutz visiting next weekend (the one with the reliant robin engine). Think I might give her a 'stripping' job sorting out the sawn off if its here by then! I'm not in any gasping hurry TBH if Will wanted to wait and combine it with some other tasks.

Years back i had an f reg 820 towed in to the workshop with no drive and like you got the lads to change the clutch (that looked ok) only to drop it off the ramp to find it still didnt move.

I asked the owner what happened and he said he was on a steep hill pulling away from the kerb on right lock when it just as he thought popped out of gear but it had not.

I didn't piss about and just put another box in it.

If its a pug box i did a factory course on those back in the day and they are easy enough to strip down.