Late registration madness

Mash

On 10/3/2020 at 1:21 PM, Richard_FM said:

The Metros had a big overlap with the newer ones being launched on a G reg, but plenty of older ones were registered on an H reg, & the vans on a J.

Most of the passenger cars would have been the 1275cc Clubman Autos as I assume Rover were still developing an auto box for the K series in 1990.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 9:02 AM, Sealtainn said:

Spotted on the Granada Mk3 Faceache page.
Ford launched the facelift Mk3 in 1992 so the last prefacelift scars were on a J plate, however here’s a survivor that managed to wait until 1994 686414138c9f33ea7ba59828bb596c06.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a Mk3 Granada Executive Turbo Diesel on an M plate as a company car. We used to source our fleet from Stamford Car hire in Altrincham and the Granada was a no extra cost upgrade from a Mk1 Mondeo LX TD and the Granny was seen as a bit past it.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, uk_senator said:

The XJ40 6.0 V12 was launched in March 93, the SIII was phased out in 92, The six went out in 86, so this must have just sat unregistered for 5+ years for whatever reason.

Indeed, explanation was in the advert but it now shows as a Golf! I posted the engine picture as my first thought was it was a V12 until I saw the engine, then read the advert.
Apparently it was damaged when new in 1984 before being registered then stood for 5+ years before being sold to a garage who rebuilt it and registered it.

3 minutes ago, Mr Laurence said:

What’s the story with that? It looks so obviously wrong - I bet they’re forever being pulled over

It didn't say, but I'm guessing it's a DVLA cockup as it's date of manufacture 1989, but date of first registration 2004. RHD so Irish import maybe?

10 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

For a J reg Farina, it didn't make it to 1974 and the computerisation of registrations.

844_b.thumb.jpg.752c4d95c074497f000fa445f415e7e7.jpg

*puts on I have spent far too much time researching this cap*

the cut off point for V5'ing a buff logbook RF60/VE60 car was in 1983 or there abouts, and it was up to the keeper to do so

so it may have simply lived its entire life without ever getting V5'ed (13 years was pretty good going back then!)

and also worth noting even vehicles that did get computerised if they died/stopped moving before about 1982ish, then they most likely wont show up on the DVLA checker today, because at some unknown point in time the DVLA archived off a bunch of computer records that showed no activity since before 1982 (XWC468F was one of those for example which was untaxed since August 1980, and did not show up on the DVLA checker until it was V62'ed and unarchived by the DVLA)

amusingly if a record showed activity post 1982, even if said activity was a scrapped marker on a vehicle untaxed since 1977, then it would not have been archived off and would still show up on the DVLA today, see for example REV453R

this whole archival thing is why today you never see vehicles with tax due dates from before about 1982 normally (and anything you do see with Untaxed since before then will usually have other activity after then like a newer V5 or a scrapped marker as above)

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

*puts on I have spent far too much time researching this cap*

the cut off point for V5'ing a buff logbook RF60/VE60 car was in 1983 or there abouts, and it was up to the keeper to do so

so it may have simply lived its entire life without ever getting V5'ed (13 years was pretty good going back then!)

and also worth noting even vehicles that did get computerised if they died/stopped moving before about 1982ish, then they most likely wont show up on the DVLA checker today, because at some unknown point in time the DVLA archived off a bunch of computer records that showed no activity since before 1982 (XWC468F was one of those for example which was untaxed since August 1980, and did not show up on the DVLA checker until it was V62'ed and unarchived by the DVLA)

amusingly if a record showed activity post 1982, even if said activity was a scrapped marker on a vehicle untaxed since 1977, then it would not have been archived off and would still show up on the DVLA today, see for example REV453R

this whole archival thing is why today you never see vehicles with tax due dates from before about 1982 normally (and anything you do see with Untaxed since before then will usually have other activity after then like a newer V5 or a scrapped marker as above)

I've noticed that some cars don't show up on the DVLA checker even when they are late as a P reg.  I had assumed if the were registered before being computerised, then had no change of address or owner then they would have stayed just on paper records, which were simply shredded when it was scrapped if that happened before a certain time.

The Morris Oxford & Wolsley 16/60 were on sale until 1971, so some might have made it onto a K plate.

IMG_20200505_0013A.jpg

16 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I've noticed that some cars don't show up on the DVLA checker even when they are late as a P reg.  I had assumed if the were registered before being computerised, then had no change of address or owner then they would have stayed just on paper records, which were simply shredded when it was scrapped if that happened before a certain time.

if its P reg then it would have been on the DVLA/DVLC computer since first registration, and likely does not show up because of aforementioned archiving that they did at some point for all vehicles inactive since before 1982-83ish

computerisation commenced on the 1st of October 1974 with the DVLC resetting all registration series to Gxx-N to signify such and all new registrations from that point onwards was on the DVLC shiny new computer system

but existing registrations where not immediately transferred  over, this had to be done by the end user who had until 1983 to do so

23 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

The Morris Oxford & Wolsley 16/60 were on sale until 1971, so some might have made it onto a K plate.

Indeed they did.  Imagine this brand new next to a Mark 3 Cortina!

20210203_223306.thumb.jpg.6525e9db3c35f7db101cb7d0167b51bc.jpg

Picture from "shagracer" on Flickr, for some reason I can't link to the original.

On 08/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, Dick Longbridge said:

Have we had this one yet? Local bloke had a thread on it on the blue a few years ago. 

Image221.jpg

I think that's a private plate, MOT check says first registered in 1988.

I accidentally put K25MAF first and that threw up an Audi A3 which definitely wouldn't be old enough to be on a K!

6 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

I think that's a private plate, MOT check says first registered in 1988.

But you're supposed to be unable to make a vehicle look newer than it is. Older, yeah not a problem. 

10 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Indeed they did.  Imagine this brand new next to a Mark 3 Cortina!

20210203_223306.thumb.jpg.6525e9db3c35f7db101cb7d0167b51bc.jpg

Picture from "shagracer" on Flickr, for some reason I can't link to the original.

A situation echoed a decade later as buyers were invited to weigh up the pros and cons of a Sierra versus a Morris Ital...