The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, artdjones said:

Stalekleivloftet.png.7f2b25faf6223e4898bb58c8d0783281.png

This wooden building in Norway is over 800 years old and hasn't rotted away, and you can see why. The construction allows for ventilation even under the floor.

It's a shame the bloke that built it put all that thought into the ventilation and then only built the front door up to knee height.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

It's a shame the bloke that built it put all that thought into the ventilation and then only built the front door up to knee height.

Maybe Norwegians weren't the huge rampaging Vikings of legend but the European equivalent of pygmies.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Maybe Norwegians weren't the huge rampaging Vikings of legend but the European equivalent of pygmies.

That tiny door has brought up a repressed memory: I seem to recall my grandmother telling me something about small doors in very old buildings being used to force intruders to enter a building on their hands and knees to make them vulnerable. This means that the occupants of the building can establish if they're a welcome visitor, and if not, they can happily hack away at them with whatever sword or similar that may be at hand.

She would then proudly announce that the correct way to enter such a door is feet first, so that if you do get attacked then it's your legs that get hacked off rather than your head.

What the fuck I needed to know this for as a child I don't know.

8 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Or that is the cat flap, the door ois on the other side :)

Norwegian Forest Cats are pretty huge, to be fair.

23 minutes ago, artdjones said:

8 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Norwegian Forest Cats are pretty huge, to be fair.

@Dyslexic Viking is our resident Norwegian expert, maybe he can 'shed' some light on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

That tiny door has brought up a repressed memory: I seem to recall my grandmother telling me something about small doors in very old buildings being used to force intruders to enter a building on their hands and knees to make them vulnerable. This means that the occupants of the building can establish if they're a welcome visitor, and if not, they can happily hack away at them with whatever sword or similar that may be at hand.

She would then proudly announce that the correct way to enter such a door is feet first, so that if you do get attacked then it's your legs that get hacked off rather than your head.

What the fuck I needed to know this for as a child I don't know.

The same is true of many castles and fortifications.

Explained in one of this blokes four videos,

Managed to post part 1 twice and can'r remove it :(

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

@Dyslexic Viking is our resident Norwegian expert, maybe he can 'shed' some light on it.

Small doors let out less heat in winter is my guess about small doors.

And Norwegian forest cats are large males can weigh around 10 kg.

I think mine is a Norwegian forest cat or is quite close. she has big paws, thick fur and is quite big guess 5-6 kg?

IMG_20240325_092404_554.jpg.0c834cc05b9d8c89d1acaf79b3548e33.jpg

AVAS.

20240326_164805.jpg.1400cd96a46038ceb735464b30de827d.jpg

Alternator isn't charging.

Once again, AVAS.

3 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

AVAS.

20240326_164805.jpg.1400cd96a46038ceb735464b30de827d.jpg

Alternator isn't charging.

Once again, AVAS.

Now home. Fresh battery courtesy of the AA and limped home.

Fuck it, I'll fix it later.

• Like 3

This big softy has a one-way ticket for tomorrow afternoon.

IMG_20240322_121619.jpg.5eb106cb4401046b5304e2a5f9479580.jpg

Duchie. She's only 16 but the ligaments in her hind legs are knackered.

She's the second grey highland in a row we've had who only made it to 16. The previous one, Fergus, had very similar problems.

Despite looking big and tough, highland ponies really aren't.

We'll still have these two.

IMG_20240325_131351.jpg.5386ddc76163aea87bb565379876f23c.jpg

Kyrie the cob is 15 and still full of beans. Her mother made it to 28.

Maisie the Shetland, there? 36. Still mad as a box of frogs.

People who send out a poster that can only be read by some obscure app ... When a jpeg would do ...

Are they the same people who walk diagonally across the road at a crossing ? 

Eva found phoenix laying on the bathroom floor a little while ago, blood everywhere, he'd fallen and died in her arms as she screamed carrying him down the stairs 😭😭

IMG20240325135701.jpg.f2aac01f112ced32ca1620a019b552ff.jpg

Rip little buddy, oh boy here comes depression again 😭😭😭

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Eva found phoenix laying on the bathroom floor a little while ago, blood everywhere, he'd fallen and died in her arms as she screamed carrying him down the stairs 😭😭

IMG20240325135701.jpg.f2aac01f112ced32ca1620a019b552ff.jpg

Rip little buddy, oh boy here comes depression again 😭😭😭

Very sad to hear this,he obviously meant a lot to you.Our pets are always there for us,loyal and unjudgemental.Hang on in there,it will get better for you in time.We lost one of our dogs last year.Even though he was very old and it was expected ,it was horrible,desolate time.We still miss him and even though we've since given another rescue dog a home he'll never be replaced in our hearts.We comfort ourselves by believing we gave him his best life while we had him and hope you'll feel the same.Thinking of you.

2 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Very sad to hear this,he obviously meant a lot to you.Our pets are always there for us,loyal and unjudgemental.Hang on in there,it will get better for you in time.We lost one of our dogs last year.Even though he was very old and it was expected ,it was horrible,desolate time.We still miss him and even though we've since given another rescue dog a home he'll never be replaced in our hearts.We comfort ourselves by believing we gave him his best life while we had him and hope you'll feel the same.Thinking of you.

Thanks. Thought we had years left 😥 He'd have gone into the bathroom to wait for Eva to go in as she got home. If only he didn't... 

11 hours ago, Supernaut said:

This big softy has a one-way ticket for tomorrow afternoon.

Sorry to hear that - we've had a shit couple of years having to put down a trio of youngsters (6, 6 and 8 ) through illness and injury. I guess it's part of the ownership deal with any animal but it still aches.
My remedy is to get a replacement  - the latest is out there counting his soon-to-be-zero testicles, he claims that's not in the deal he signed up for ;-) 

On 25/03/2024 at 09:17, Rust Collector said:

Is it still on finance? Might be worth giving the finance company a poke and mention the lackadaisical dealers and booking error on their part. I've known of them to 'encourage' the dealer to resolve the issue due to the fact that as you rightly say, you're paying your finance agreement but you don't have the vehicle to use.

This advice was followed… 

IMG_4835.jpeg.5e2ba88db60750e98cd2fe6f58cb8510.jpeg

We now have this until Saturday… 

son is a bit pissed over his PS4 , he saved up for a console , with  a bit more help we got one , we set it all up , had fun doing the accounts etc , but it worked well ...

then he wanted multiplayer .....  

err no , age restricted ,  ok then use my account ..

still no ... you need a package of so much a squid a month ..

err what ???

we now understand why there are so many PS4s on the CEX shelves  ..

Now looking out for a 2nd controller for local play ..

Is there a mode of transport that is worse than trains? 

I haven't been on one for years and today is reminding me why

24 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Invacar_model_70_glasgow.JPG.872383024b0f6d71711eebd2e25beedb.JPG

4 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Buses. At least trains  have their own track buses get stuck in traffic like cars.

Bicycles or even motorbikes when it’s raining. Cycling on a road - you might as well get in touch with Dignitas . Ditto mountain biking.

Ships if the sea is rough , planes in bad weather. Planes in general,( unless you can travel business class or 1st),  more cramped than trains and you’re generally on them longer.

Dog sled. Shit flying into your face.

Any form of horse transport. 

Hot air balloons . No control over where you’re going.

Badly constructed mini subs (too soon?) 

Any form of sliding on snow or ice. Accident waiting to happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

The car.  If my Mum's driving.  I've never been more terrified at 24MPH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Badly constructed mini subs (too soon?) 

Nope :-)

Buses get my vote - Ayrton Senna wannabe at the wheel, every.single.other.f*cker on board is engrossed in their phone. I'm watching (trainee) Senna flinging this thing around the countryside whilst grappling for my seatbelt.
Nobody else is using theirs?
My first time on a cross country bus (quite recently) in maybe 15 years was 100 years too soon.

37 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Any form of horse transport. 

Depends on the horse and your trust ;-) (most horsey people pretend it's some degree of competence but, at the end of the day - it's teamwork)

Worse than trains - skiing. Why would you do THAT?

5 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Nope :-)

Buses get my vote - Ayrton Senna wannabe at the wheel, every.single.other.f*cker on board is engrossed in their phone. I'm watching (trainee) Senna flinging this thing around the countryside whilst grappling for my seatbelt.
Nobody else is using theirs?
My first time on a cross country bus (quite recently) in maybe 15 years was 100 years too soon.

Depends on the horse and your trust ;-) (most horsey people pretend it's some degree of competence but, at the end of the day - it's teamwork)

Worse than trains - skiing. Why would you do THAT?

Do buses actually have any springs? The ones round here seem to have a rigid link between the body any the wheels. The whole bus shakes at every bump or pot hole , so every 50 m. Also are bus drivers told not to ease off the brake under any circumstances. ( you know the jolting  stop when you leave your foot planted on the brake pedal.) They ALL do that ffs!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MikeR said:

son is a bit pissed over his PS4 , he saved up for a console , with  a bit more help we got one , we set it all up , had fun doing the accounts etc , but it worked well ...

then he wanted multiplayer .....  

err no , age restricted ,  ok then use my account ..

still no ... you need a package of so much a squid a month ..

err what ???

we now understand why there are so many PS4s on the CEX shelves  ..

Now looking out for a 2nd controller for local play ..

PS Plus is only just over £2 a week and you get access to hundreds of games for free too. Including online play.

Me and my son both have PS5s and he signed my ps into his account so I get everything free. Everytime I switch my playstation on it logs him out of his mid game or whatever leading to some pretty fierce arguments 🤣

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, paulplom said:

PS Plus is only just over £2 a week and you get access to hundreds of games for free too. Including online play.

Me and my son both have PS5s and he signed my ps into his account so I get everything free. Everytime I switch my playstation on it logs him out of his mid game or whatever leading to some pretty fierce arguments 🤣

he has gone off having on line ownership of games and likes to have the disc in his hand . he is starting to see the console market  as bit of a cash cow .