The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, New POD said:

Irish AutoTrader? But a shitter for €350. Scrap it at the end ? 

The Irish don't like putting prices in their ads, for some reason. Cheapest on Carzone is a €600 Hyundai Accent with 123k miles. 4 hours drive away. Buying a shitter over there would not be easy, or without risks.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

You obviously don't know anything about the Irish insurance market.

Basically, no short term insurance at all.

Thanks, that idea is fully kyboshed then.

15 hours ago, PhilA said:

20220630_182750.thumb.jpg.5baabafd3c799c54c6d89a232f91e871.jpg

Filled up the pickup. Yay.

Mostly a grump because that's over twice the price it was 9 months ago.

That sharp a hike when you've been budgeting is a pain in the ass.

Forgive me if I've got my maths wrong but that works out at about £0.90 a litre!? Hasn't been that low for what, 15 years now?!

4 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Car hire, Ireland. In 2018, it cost £350 to hire a car for a week from Knock airport. Quotes for this August are north of €1,300! Apparently they sold the fleet due to covid and are struggling to get new stock. Not sure how we're going to get round this, flights already booked.

will be cheaper to ignore the flights and bring yer own car

I'm sick of courier services telling me I can help save the plant by collecting my parcel from one of their collection points.

Fuck off I've paid for the item to be delivered to my door plus what you really meen is 

1. You only have to make one drop to an easy location ( where you'll be picking up from too).

2. You'll use less fuel ( I'll have to use more negating  my saving of buying online).

3. You'll have less outlay (more profit) wages , time, etc.

If you can't make a big enough profit get into a different business you where happy to undercut royal mail to get into it.

55 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

You are flying in 2022 No rest there either.😁

Yup. If it works right, flying is 7.5 hours door 2 door inc picking up shopping. I' ve driven it in the past, 12 hours min. It's the ferry time that gives me the problem. Not confident I'd trust the MG yet either.

58 minutes ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

I'm sick of courier services telling me I can help save the plant by collecting my parcel from one of their collection points.

Fuck off I've paid for the item to be delivered to my door plus what you really meen is 

1. You only have to make one drop to an easy location ( where you'll be picking up from too).

2. You'll use less fuel ( I'll have to use more negating  my saving of buying online).

If you can't make a big enough profit get into a different business you where happy to undercut royal mail to get into it.

Sometimes it's easier picking up from a locker, especially if it's a gift for her. (Or yourself)

21 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Sometimes it's easier picking up from a locker, especially if it's a gift for her. (Or yourself)

Yup, when I'm buying something I don't want my wife to find out about (she works with me and does all the goods in) I get it delivered to the spar shop across the road from our house. It's probably saved our marriage.

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

I have used this for a couple of high value items over the last couple of years.  Mainly from Amazon, but purely because their idea of "delivered to householder" is knocking on the door once then buggering off, leaving the parcel sitting on the door step.

Despite the sign we have on the door saying "Please ring bell" and any special instructions fields saying the same.  Maybe 1 in 10 times the dogs will hear a knock at the door, but unless we have the door to the conservatory open (unlikely as it's the temperature of the surface of the sun in there in summer and about 3 degrees above absolute zero in the winter) there's no chance of us hearing someone knocking on the door.

We've had several things disappear from the step following that happening...annoying when it's something low value and not mission critical, but a real ball ache if it's something valuable or time sensitive.

7 hours ago, PhilA said:

Something like that but even if something's cheap, the unexpected percentage hike is still a pain.

Yup.  The average driver in the USA does twice the miles of a UK driver in his car that typically has worse fuel consumption so it stings just as much as it does here when prices climb.

25 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Yeah but in America there are no pavements and the local shop is a supermarket 4 miles down a 6 lane road. It's impossible to be a pedestrian there!

Stayed at a conference hotel about 20 miles from Chicago. 4 times over 4 months. 

Flew in on Saturday night. Flew home Friday night. 

Sunday, I got the hotel to drive me to the station and I got a return train ticket to the windy city. 

Got back to the Station, and thought I'd walk. Only about 2 miles. Wasn't too bad, but there was about a mile with no sidewalk. Got back to the hotel and the reception staff were horrified. 

One of the guys on our course flew in from Texas.  Rented a mustang for the week. Parked it in the car park. And then drive it back to the airport.  Only drove it 30 miles..

40 minutes ago, New POD said:

I was making a suggestion without facts. 

Insurance is the bane of business in Ireland. With the Irish, if there's pain, Ka-Ching Ka-Ching. People are finally realising that it's ripping everyone else off.

A TD(MP) recently lost her career when she sat on a swing at the pub while holding a beer bottle in each hand, then fell off and sued the pub. Not helped by her claim that she was incapacitated but had actually done a 10k a few weeks later.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, High Jetter said:

Car hire, Ireland. In 2018, it cost £350 to hire a car for a week from Knock airport. Quotes for this August are north of €1,300! Apparently they sold the fleet due to covid and are struggling to get new stock. Not sure how we're going to get round this, flights already booked.

Just managed to book for a shade under £800. I do wonder how they're going to try to shaft me on collection though.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:54 PM, sheffcortinacentre said:

when we first stared using Amazon here in Spain we use to get phone calls to ask us if we would pick up the package at the local pick up point. A fuel station. We refused for the reasons you have posted. Some would say we do not live at our address because t5hier  sat nav could not find us. It took a while, but in the end all couriers can now find us. We are in a village in the only occupied house. There is around 10 other buildings.

4 hours ago, PhilA said:

Another Canute ran the stop sign and drove into this poor Canute who then crashed into the power pole.

20220702_112555.thumb.jpg.84f26cad4b7673f17b7b07059d6cc53e.jpg

And that's why the Canuting power is out.

Driving is hard

I occasionally watch RR&BD Driving School on YT. I cannot believe how hard it is in the USA to drive and some of the laws covering insurance.

21 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I have used this for a couple of high value items over the last couple of years.  Mainly from Amazon, but purely because their idea of "delivered to householder" is knocking on the door once then buggering off, leaving the parcel sitting on the door step.

Despite the sign we have on the door saying "Please ring bell" and any special instructions fields saying the same.  Maybe 1 in 10 times the dogs will hear a knock at the door, but unless we have the door to the conservatory open (unlikely as it's the temperature of the surface of the sun in there in summer and about 3 degrees above absolute zero in the winter) there's no chance of us hearing someone knocking on the door.

We've had several things disappear from the step following that happening...annoying when it's something low value and not mission critical, but a real ball ache if it's something valuable or time sensitive.

Amazon is engaged in a race to the bottom and their drivers are run ragged.