The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Bloody mindedness meant I wasn't going to accept defeat and went back a bit later in the day and had more success.

Inside the store however was complete, utter mayhem.

The one way system fell apart virtually the moment you were through the door because the queue for the tills had looped the entire way around half the store so was totally blocking one of the aisles they were trying to funnel everyone through.  The only way to actually get to anywhere beyond the lighting and paint section was to go the wrong way.

Also being hurried along on the way to the tills by the member of staff left a very bitter taste in my mouth.  Sorry, if someone is visibly limping it should be a pretty obvious indication that they're going as fast as they can.  I couldn't go any faster without overtaking the person in front of me anyway!  Customers were mostly doing a reasonable job of keeping their distance, the staff less so.

The number of people at the tills with one house plant, one paint brush, a single hosepipe fitting etc blew my mind.  I was in there for a 2.5 metre long chunk of furniture board which I've not been able to find anyone who would deliver (I had tried three times by places that said they would, but they all fell through)...but the vast majority of the stuff people were there for seemed to be random bits and pieces that could be ordered for delivery from any number of sources online.

Meh, I'm just a grumpy old man I guess!

At least I got what I went out for.

2 hours ago, gm said:

I bashed my finger yesterday whilst stripping the mx5 steering rack, overnight the nail has gone black and the finger swollen up like a badly cooked sausage :( 

grump is that I can't use the tried and tested technique of heating a pin on the cooker to make a wee hole in the nail as I've got a stupid halogen hob. The only alternative I could think of was using the smallest drill bit I can find and being very, very careful. Amazingly, it has worked, a wee hole has been made, pressure is relieved and the swelling has reduced. But it didn't half fupping hurt ! 

Following my trip to casualty last month after a circular saw incident, I feel I'm starting to resemble Reg Prescott off the Kenny Everett tv show 

IMG_1989.thumb.JPG.6ded28d72e2d8736c2fdbb5ed072a5c0.JPG

maybe I should take a couple of days off from the diy :) 

My mate with the classic 911 decided to refurb his calipers. 

In order to get the pistons out he decided to use an airline. 

Worried about damaging the pistons when they popped out he cleverly put his hand in the caliper to retrieve the them, then blew the airline.

Yeah.....

It went well! 

?

8 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

The only way to actually get to anywhere beyond the lighting section

not sure why you want to go past that section anyway :mrgreen:

(although I imagine its all LED tosh now, I always regret not getting a few GE F40T12/BLBs back when B&Q stocked those for some reason! was always limited by the fact you have to go someways out of your way to find a B&Q when you live in central London!)

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

shame TPA is not back on the road yet, you could probably join the foot traffic queue in it and no one would say anything (or would be too afraid to say anything!)

and gr8 for social distancing given your in your own little 9ft long fibreglass bubble LOL  

(bonus points if they actually let you inside the store with it LOL)

I’d say there would be plenty to say, if some nugget was sat there, coughing clouds of smoke out and giving everyone tinnitus.

May as well breathe in the ‘rona! :-)

They are only a foot shorter than a Mini? Yet have four less seats, no boot, a tiny engine and one less wheel.

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

My mate with the classic 911 decided to refurb his calipers. 

In order to get the pistons out he decided to use an airline. 

Worried about damaging the pistons when they popped out he cleverly put his hand in the caliper to retrieve the them, then blew the airline.

Yeah.....

It went well! 

?

I "liked" because I didn't know to either "laugh" or "sad" but it needed acknowledging  ?

1 hour ago, camryv6 said:

I "liked" because I didn't know to either "laugh" or "sad" but it needed acknowledging  ?

It's fine. I laughed! 

And I've been calling him Jeremy Beadle! (Although he will make a full recovery,  eventually. )

1 minute ago, Timewaster said:

He was laughing while he told me. Probably more out of embarrassment than anything.

I must admit I nearly did the same once, but I came to my senses before my fingers even went into the caliper and went off to look for a piece of wood

My shed roof was knackered - rather than waste money on plywood and felt that would be fucked again in a couple of years I bought corrapol sheets.

It looks lovely but how the fook are you supposed to screw it down because standing on it just deforms it.

4 minutes ago, Bren said:

My shed roof was knackered - rather than waste money on plywood and felt that would be fucked again in a couple of years I bought corrapol sheets.

It looks lovely but how the fook are you supposed to screw it down because standing on it just deforms it.

Screws with rubber caps and don't stand on the roof, good luck with that !

Like these in black or clear rubber

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hardened-steel-roofing-screws-8-x-60mm-20-pack/50983

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have the correct screws - but the roof is giving when I fitted the ridges. And it's not as if I am a fat bastard.

Ok the way I did it was one sheet on, up the ladder inside the shed and lean over the sheet and screw it down, does that make sense ?

7 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I'm also thoroughly fed up with doing anything related to engines.  Tedious, messy, fiddly work that always leaves me feeling stupid and stressed because for other people it's apparently this wonderful experience where nothing goes wrong. 

Show me these people! Today's works on the pizza scooter feels like the first time anything went right on my thread for about 5 pages.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have the correct screws - but the roof is giving when I fitted the ridges. And it's not as if I am a fat bastard.

I got stuck on a shed roof , I built it at the side of the house only I managed to kick the ladder away , i thought about jumping but 58 and either end was a free broken ankle with all the debris I'd left strewn around , I'd sooner die than shout fat bloke stuck on the roof so started hitting the wall with the hammer like a football chant du du dududu du du dududu , my mrs carried on watching TV 

I was up there for about 45 minutes, it was about 8pm and I was still doing the hammer chant when saved , my daughter appeared 

Pass me that ladder , she did what teenagers do

Left me where I was and went to get her phone to record it 

11 minutes ago, Wack said:

I got stuck on a shed roof , I built it at the side of the house only I managed to kick the ladder away , i thought about jumping but 58 and either end was a free broken ankle with all the debris I'd left strewn around , I'd sooner die than shout fat bloke stuck on the roof so started hitting the wall with the hammer like a football chant du du dududu du du dududu , my mrs carried on watching TV 

I was up there for about 45 minutes, it was about 8pm and I was still doing the hammer chant when saved , my daughter appeared 

My problem was the ridge pieces - even sat on an old cot mattress I felt like I was in a hammock.

I am getting too old for this bollocks but depite asking around nobody wanted to do the job.

11 hours ago, Bren said:

You work to the side of it if that makes sense, start at most inaccessible bit, then work back towards where your ladder is. Also you usually use the plastic capped annular nails. 

11 hours ago, Wack said:

I did ask mrs wack why she hadn't come outside , it must've been deafening in the living room

She said I thought you were banging nails in

Who the fuck bangs nails in to a tune , the 7 bastard dwarves 

My trusty Xiaomi has finally shat itself proper.

I've already replaced one screen, but now in addition to the cracks in the cheap replacement, the in call speaker has died along with any ability to take or make calls; attempting to do so just causes it to blank screen.

The question is what to get next?

2 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

covered in Pinky Purple crystals

If you want to scare yourself, take the plastic engine cover off and look in the middle of the V with a flashlight.

My ZS180 has always lost a small amount of coolant - from new. I've changed the timing belts, water pump, thermostat and plastic pipes twice now and got no improvement. At 14 years old, over 130k (reliable) miles and having paid for itself a couple of times over (company funded car when new), I chucked some K seal in.

Job jobbed.

Shame it needs welding before it gets another MOT?

4 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

Caught a pot hole on my road and the ax has ejected it's washer bottle and contents all over the road.

Could have been worse though, the air could have escaped from the tyre in a fatal sort of manner... 

55 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Euro car parts ?

There's money to be made in ordering the cheapest thing ECP sell. Since about 50% of the time they seem to just randomly throw any old shit in the box, with each order you've got good odds on receiving something worth considerably more. Scale this up enough and you're basically the wolf of wall street.