The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

Boot might be the culprit although it has been parked with the bonnet not shut either.

Just driven down to the garage and unless an oil and filter change sorts the CVT out its future looks sketchy.
The lunging and lurching didnt improve with a few minutes running time.

Streetwise CVTs are rare as rocking horse shit mate - is it the 1.6 or 1.8 ?

rockhorseshit.thumb.png.ab57d0fccb43abb9af29d953216bc44e.png

Uber rare - I think it's a ZF CVT box so anything from a 25/45/75 K-series should work, I'd have thought ?

Interesting quoted email on the MG-R forum about various faults with the CVT which may interest you ?

Copy of email from ZF regarding gearbox problems, may be of use to someone.

Hi,
It used to be my job to support MG Rover and BMW with the CVT applications.
Regarding your CVT issue "little drive forwards, no faults stored", on the Rover 25 2002.
Has the car failure memory been read out ? If there are no fault codes stored against the Ratio actuator, or speed sensors, or Inhibitor switch etc. then it is likely to be an internal mechanical failure with the forward clutch or even valve body. Is the displayflashing P-F (for example when in Park position), or any transmission warning light on ?
Common issues with this transmission in the Rover application - causing failure codes and car to only seemingly drive in emergency mode (like being stuck in 1st gear or 4th gear in a manual car (depending on which sensor is faulty)):
Transmission output speed sensor faulty - replace sensor
Inhibitor switch signal corrupt - due to water in the switch connection to the gearbox - replace switch and clean out and seal the connection with silicon sealer etc.
Ratio control actuator faulty, or wiring connection to it loose on the gearbox (round connector on front of gearbox).
Gearbox interface unit - or wiring - fault
Camshaft and Transmission output sensor connectors mixed up near back of cylinder head - has cylinder head been off ? the connectors are the same design and can be mixed up. (Seen this a few times in the past).
For your information, ZF no longer own the production plant in Belgium for CVT, it is now owned by Punch Powertrain N.V. since ZF sold it in 2006. We no longer hold any parts or replacement transmissions for the CVT.
Kind regards
Craig Bowmar
Team Leader - Automotive Products (Car)
ZF Services
Abbeyfield Road, Lenton, NOTTINGHAM NG7 2SX.
Tel: 0115 9869211 Office: 0115 9355464 Mobile: 07776 298158
Fax: 0115 9863038
Craig.bowmar@zf.com
www.zf.com/uk
technicalsupport.zf-services-uk@zf.com

https://forums.mg-rover.org/mg-zr-rover-25-200-streetwise-101/cvt-gearbox-problems-431037/

2 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

For your information, ZF no longer own the production plant in Belgium for CVT, it is now owned by Punch Powertrain N.V. since ZF sold it in 2006. We no longer hold any parts or replacement transmissions for the CVT.

Read that a while ago, it seems that ZF binned the production as soon as Rover stopped existing.
The car is mostly tidy, drivers door has eaten its internals by derailing the window glass and bending all the bits of coat hanger wire that operate  the door lock and central locking but its only done 46,000 miles.

Howmany left said there were two 1.8 CVT's

5 hours ago, strangeangel said:

This. Better still, leave it alone and enjoy not having all your carpets eaten by moth larvae.

The house is absolutely full of spiders, that one was evading the cup and card method of capture by crawling up into an awkward corner of the bath. I can see 3 more, admittedly smaller, spiders from where I'm sitting right now. I think the spider population of my house is safe.

people in car parks , whats the issue , held one chap up for 30 nano seconds whilst doing a junction that I had been sat at for ages whilst a parade of cars went past

he came around the corner and had to slow down

and he is bouncing off the roof , shouting and swearing ......   swap places mate

Mercs drivers !!

Abscess.

Hurts.

Like fuck.

No sleep.

For two days.

But....

It is finally coming out of my face (sounds lovely don't it!) after coming up in some very interesting lumps and bumps - one of which looked like an enormous skin tag! - sorry to blight your breakfast/lunch with this news but I just wanted to share the misery around and also the very good news that the fucker seems to be going! Bloody hope so...

Just finished work having started at 9.

First half of the day involved giving leaflets to people who didn't want them and avoiding telling middle management to fuck off.

Second half involved cutting and boxing something in the order of 600 pizzas.

Now away to drive home and my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree. Lambda light, TRACS light, ABS light and bulb warning light.

Though in fairness the last one is always there.

12 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Probably skunk.

Smelt like a cross between that and burning oil, probably the cheap stuff they transport in lorry fuel tanks.

Outside I’m not so bothered if someone wants to spark up a doobie. In confined airless spaces it’s out of order.

37 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Smelt like a cross between that and burning oil, probably the cheap stuff they transport in lorry fuel tanks.

Outside I’m not so bothered if someone wants to spark up a doobie. In confined airless spaces it’s out of order.

It's the link between that and psychotic illnesses that should be examined in more depth 

On 9/14/2019 at 1:54 PM, New POD said:

I had to go around to my rental property, because the flush on the bog broke. 

Tenant is moving on in a month, so wife asks me to take some up dated pictures.

Wife says maybe she should  come.

I should have said yes. 

It didn't take long to fix the bog with a new flush unit £12. 

Took about 15 mins. 

Took some photos. WhatsAppd them to her. 

Initially her suggestions were fine, but i couldn't get a picture of any bedroom that she liked. 

I think that I'd need to knock a wall down, because, further back, higher lower, more window, more floor, it makes the room look too small.  And apparently I'm taking the same picture again and again. 

She eventually lost it on the phone. I don't think it's possible to take the pictures she wants with a smart phone, and what I've got won't stop anyone wanting to view.  But I got home and she's gone off "for a walk" so she doesn't kill me. 

1.5 hours I was taking photos and sending them to her.  Luckily the tenant had gone out. 

I'm not sure there's logic in life. 

So whilst she was out I altered the brightness and contrast on my lap top and selected the top 10 pictures to go. 

She came back and we up dated the advert  we've previously used. Just before we went to publish I suggested that we look again at the price.  She's adamant that I'm too greedy. 

So it went on Rightmove late Saturday night at her price. So far 14 people  wanting to view it. 

The issue is we are in a good postcode area and we are only 1 quid a day more than a less nice area, so now we are inundated with people on benefits and needing guarantors.

The target family are a married couple with paye jobs, both of whom can pass referencing alone with small children and a decent credit rating. 

Not single mother of 4 claiming universal credit*

Note that its not just the extra hassle and the paperwork but the fact that our lender has terms that prevent us renting to benefit claimants. 

FFS, I have had no sleep again but not because of pain but because my face is itching like I have the worst case of fleas in the known universe! Never known owt like it, every part of my mush is itching constantly with occasional forays into my scalp.

4 hours ago, New POD said:

So whilst she was out I altered the brightness and contrast on my lap top and selected the top 10 pictures to go. 

She came back and we up dated the advert  we've previously used. Just before we went to publish I suggested that we look again at the price.  She's adamant that I'm too greedy. 

So it went on Rightmove late Saturday night at her price. So far 14 people  wanting to view it. 

The issue is we are in a good postcode area and we are only 1 quid a day more than a less nice area, so now we are inundated with people on benefits and needing guarantors.

The target family are a married couple with paye jobs, both of whom can pass referencing alone with small children and a decent credit rating. 

Note that its not just the extra hassle and the paperwork but the fact that our lender has terms that prevent us renting to benefit claimants. 

I keep telling @Kiltox, invest in a property 30/40 miles around Marlow, price it at £800 and let me do alot of the work and youll have a tenant for life! 

7 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

I always think it smells like some bastard child cross between dogshit and mint.

13 hours ago, xtriple said:

FFS, I have had no sleep again but not because of pain but because my face is itching like I have the worst case of fleas in the known universe! Never known owt like it, every part of my mush is itching constantly with occasional forays into my scalp.

My partner and I were both like this yesterday. I wanted to wire brush my face and scalp. I wonder if there's something in the air.

13 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Some of those on welfare and lacking in  what you desire are good people, shame the shit seems to get all the attention. 

I am sure that most people have a reasonable moral and social compass, whether they claim benefits or not. 

Partner wants me to rent a house with her. It's a four bedroom detached one in it's own grounds with a garage etc. It's £850 a month!! I'm bricking it and have expressed my fears that's it's over twice what I'm paying now. On the other hand if we finished decorating her house we'd probably get £700-£800 for that. Anyone want to rent a 3 story, 4 bedroom house next door to a pub?

19 hours ago, New POD said:

Fuck me, that's appalling (your lender I mean).  

I can see the practical need for renting houses out, particularly given the state of council housing now, but a married couple with PAYE jobs who have a decent credit rating should be able to buy a house in a nice area, not have its value artificially inflated by the buy to let industry.  

One thing to bear in mind is that your rent for her place is not guaranteed, you could have periods with no tenant, you could end up with tenants from hell who don't pay and trash the place or god knows what else, we (my family) have owned and rented properties out for years, whilst we have come out on top in the end there has been difficult times also, does your partner have a mortgage? and interest rate rise could make things pretty difficult if so.

£850 sounds a lot for your area, I pay the same for a similar property in the Lakes which is actually cheap for a similar house to your proposed new one, but it's dead money, if you can you should really buy something yourself, and when the time is right sell it and your partners then buy the 4 bed detached place yourself.

All in my opinion of course :)

Her dad lent her the money to buy the house she just pays the interest on it till he dies. £300 per month iirc. The solicitor who dealt with it said he was a cunt and he should be gifting her his money. He's loaded with money invested all over and has a huge house in Whitley Bay with a swimming pool and although hasn't had anything done to it since the 60's it was still valued at £750k about 4 years ago.