1951 Lanchester LD10

vulgalour

2 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Well... that escalated quickly.

photo_2020-08-03_18-26-34.thumb.jpg.4ade267fe3574511e9d4c0e9015e3cbd.jpg

Thank you to Autoshite for once again being the enablers that you are.  Now, which one of you horrible lot wants to buy my BX to make up for what you made me do?

oh fuck yeah! properly looking forward to seeing how this progresses 

hopefully a bit better then Richard Hammond's one did!

very cool that you where able to get it :) 

I shall let you know.  I've never driven a pre-selector or a car with rod operated drum brakes before.  I imagine it will be a combination of charming and slightly terrifying.  Conservation of the current appearance is the goal.  We got it to run and idle with just fresh fuel, and aside from a broken flexi on the exhaust (which looks to be the newest thing on the car), it seemed quite happy.  All the electrical things work, including the semaphors, and it doesn't seem to have ever had anything modernised.  No modifications will be occuring.

Going to be a steep learning curve this one.  Despite appearances, it seems to be very solid indeed.  Tiny bit of rust in the superficial outer sills, and a little hole on the passenger side rear inner arch is the only corrosion of note.  Wooden frame seems very solid, doors don't sag, nothing feels flimsy.  Floor is in surprisingly good shape, which is more than can be said for the tyres which look like they're about as old as the car.  Quite comfortable too, which is always a bonus.  Front passenger wing is probably a replacement, it doesn't quite match everything else, and that's okay.

Excellent!

One of the first cars I drove for Classic Car Buyer's "Tried and Tested" section was one of these, in roadster form.  Considering the first preselector I'd ever driven was about half an hour earlier (a Daimler from the same garage) I think your estimate of "charming but terrifying" is just about right!  It won't get you anywhere very fast, but it should be very comfy while doing it.  I was going to say DNP but I see that's already the plan, good for you!

I wish you luck with it :)

Over £900 new in 1947 was an eye-watering amount - average house price was about £1,800.  Car tax was high and it was a sellers market following the war.

Beautifully made little car - but an Austin Devon A40 for example did about the same thing at a lot less money. The buyers for this kind of small 'luxe car was pretty small group - which was a pity. 

Lanchester and eventually the parent Daimler thus ran into trouble as other manufacturers geared up with these newer post-war models at a lot less money or better performance. 

So Lanchester joined Jowett, Singer, Lea Francis and others being gone by the mid-50's ( Singer only survived as a badge in the Rootes Group). And even Daimler eventually got into difficulties and were taken over by Jaguar.

Very nice car - the pre-select is not so frightening - I had a pre-war Lanchester.  Good to see it has survived - survival rate on these does not seem too bad - which would partly be explained by the quality of the build. There is a keen owners club. About 3000 made of both body types.

Good man! As I alluded to in the other thread, if you really wanted it, letting it slip through your fingers would have been something you'd have eternally kicked yourself about. Congrats on grabbing the bull by both horns and some. This is the very car your practice on coachpainting has been waiting for!

What's the story then? Tinternet tells me she's been enjoying a deep sleep since 84...

Most of the time impulse buying can be avoided by telling yourself there'll always be another. This is one of those rare times when you just know that there'll never be another one like this that you get the chance to buy. Well done for having the courage to follow your automotive dreams.

Fine old vehicles like this don't have owners merely custodians and I look forward immensely to seeing this fine old thing blossom during your stewardship.

Great to see another older, more quirky car join this parish. I have had pre-select vehicles and would certainly have another. Once you are used to it, it is probably the smoothest of changes, which is why many camera cars for early day TV etc always had a Wilson Pre-Select box. Rod brakes are fine, they just need setting up properly and regular adjustment as the linings wear, usually half a turn on a butterfly nut near the brake pedal. My Morris Cowley and my Royces all have rod/drum brakes and all are fine, though the '34 Royce fitted with overdrive weighs 2.5 tonnes and can cruise at 70mph so that does feel a little* underbraked at times. At least there are no hydraulic seals to leak or cylinders to seize, just stay on top of the greasing schedule.

I had rod and cable brakes on my Ford Pop. Amazing equalising mechanism designed by people who could still design things. They equalised front to back under the brake pedal, individually left to right under each axle, then up and down between the shoes in each drum. Yours might be more basic but they’ll be fine.

Learn how they work and how to adjust them properly and just keep them in check. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SiC
      Skip to this post for the purchase:

I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap runaround recently. Our Civic has been doing the brunt of our journeys and in 7months of ownership we've covered nearly 10k miles. Also where  Mrs SiC works has lost its car park and it's been left on main roads. As we don't really want it damaged, it's not ideal. 
       So I've been keeping an eye out for something essentially to replace the Fabia I had. Small, easy to park and cheap to buy+run. Second gen (2008 on) Seat Ibiza 1.4 is on the cards and can be had for under 2k
       Anyway yesterday we were out and about. I was doing a browse of Autotrader and found a really cheap A3 2.0 TFSi. Basically a Golf GTi in an Audi suit but much cheaper. This in particular was half many go for retail. As we passed, I went to see it.
       TL;DR Unfortunately the dealer had morals. Someone else was travelling from Bournemouth and he gave them first refusal. Shame as it drove well, had an inch stack of history and even Mrs SiC gave her (rare) thumbs up for it. Did have rusty front wings and duct tape over it, but that's fine for what it'll be used for.

After this, it got me thinking that while I like the idea of a cheap to run car, I'll get bored of it. Even though a grand or two is not a lot nowadays, it's still enough. I've now got it in my head I want something decently fast. But there isn't a lot around for that sort of money.
       Basically the criteria is:
        - small and thus easy to park (i.e. when I'm late to the train)
        - sub 2k and ideally less is better
        - CAZ exempt so basically petrol euro 4 on
        - not too ridiculous on fuel - 30+ and really 35+ mpg
        - light steering as Mrs SiC gets annoyed with heavy to drive cars 
        - bodywork condition unimportant but not to the degree of just come out of a banger race
       There isn't a lot that meet those requirements. Putting a search into Autotrader of sub 8sec 0-60 and sub 2k brings back a lot of one car model. Despite their age now, Mrs SiC gives the nod and like them. That vehicle (if you can't read titles) is the TT mk1. 
       (Bonnet up picture deliberate as many have this as their default position)

I used to hate these. I keep saying I hate VAG. I also hate my job but I keep going back to every day. I mean it could be that I'm just a grumpy fucker that says he hates everything but doesn't actually.
       Anyway like I say I hate work when I'm not at it, I enjoy it immensely when I'm there. Likewise when I'm sat in a VAG product, I do enjoy the experience. Every VAG vehicle Mrs SiC has driven she's liked a lot. Even reluctantly at first (because they are so butt ugly) she actually quite liked the Fabia MK1.
       So I know something like this is a safe bet that she'll drive it. The looks have soften off in my eyes and I do quite fancy a TT Mk1. Or maybe I just enjoy inflicting pain on myself too much. Gives me something to be grumpy and moan about.
       There are a few contenders out there that I want to take a look at, any tips on what I should look out for?
       I'm after critical problems here. Door locks/regulators, dodgy switchgear and such are par for course on this age VAG. That I'm expecting to be broken.
       Thinking probably 1.8t with the 180bhp engine. Ideally no Quattro Haldex that undoubtedly has been neglected.
       Or any other similar suggestions that meet the above criteria!
    • By 320touring
      A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, The Burd and I went to see the Skizzer to start getting a MK1 Golf Convertible that had been off the road for 10years..
      After a couple of sessions in deepest darkest Wales , coupled with some sterling help and fettling by Skizzer himself, it was time for us to head down and bring the thing back up.

This went well:
      New tyres were procured and fitted

The in-game tank pump was pulled out and a new filter fitted

Then I got in touch with my Inuit side, using brand new* magnets to undertake "tank shite" fishing

A full check over and a couple of test drives showed it fit to play.
      We set off for sunny Oswestry, only to have both front calipers sticking after 120 miles. Some water and time to collect down saw them free off and cause no further problems.

Upon getting just past Tebay, it started running rough - nicking into Todhills rest area and luzzing in 10L of fuel had it running bang on for the next 70miles before it died.
      This was the final scene on the way home.

I got to bed at 00:45, and left it to sit until today.
    • By Dave_Q
      None of my vehicles are really interesting enough for their own thread, so I'm going for a tat blog style consolidated thread.

The modern* - Citroen Berlingo 2.0 HDi

The best and only photo I have of it.
      Generally reliable but showing it's 153k miles in various areas.
      It's good at hauling people and things around, that's about all I can say.
      Current status - off road for fixing of torrential oil leak and floppy gear change.

The classic* - BMW 318iS

Photo stolen from seller's ad.
      A recent £292 ebay purchase.
      I thought I would strip it out and do some track days but after driving it for a while I'm not sure now.
      112k miles, some sort of service history, far from a creampuff but hasn't been messed about with like so many.
      Check out the orange indicators and standard 15 inch rims. SOAVE.
      Current status - daily use.

Motorbike 1 - Honda VFR750

Has done me well as a 'first big bike' but it's replacement is already lined up.
      Current status - Awoken from winter slumber and with MOT station pending results tomorrow.

Motorbike 2 - Honda Fireblade

Bought cheap as needs gearbox looking at - jumps out of second (they all do that if they've been ragged sir.)
      Current status - gearbox repair is after Berlingo on to-do list, hoping for on the road by June.

So there they are. Not very interesting but I will update the thread with my with my various spannerings/misadventures/getting bored and selling them all etc.
    • By mat_the_cat
      A mate of mine at work has just restored this, and now it's (just about) finished, is selling it. He wants what seems like a fair price for it, and it might be my only chance to indulge a boyhood dream before values climb too high. And hopefully I shouldn't lose out!
      Is there anyone around who knows the values they actually sell for? Obviously I've looked at adverts and completed eBay listings, but don't know if they reflect reality!

• By rickvw72
      Hi all, I’m going to try to keep this updated as a diary of work done on my old Fourtrak. 
      I bought this a few years ago but have only recently got going on it properly, with several other projects on the go, times been scarce.
      Ill start with the main job, the rear crossmember. When I bought the truck this tube had snapped on the drivers side. This ruptured the brake pipes, and ruined all the already tired suspension bushes.
      So, out with the crossmember...
      The original is round tube, the new 3mm wall box section, it actually holds the anti tramp bars. 
      Yes the Fourtrak has a 5 linked rear suspension, and an LSD. Because race car!
      I didn’t take many pics at this time, so I’m trying to improve this and maybe a thread will motivate me to document it.