1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

Thanks for all the kind remarks. The pictures flatter it, honestly!

The scene calls for 2 doors, but in this case the difference in shape is negligible. Plus, the two door versions don't get rear quarterlight windows.

Honestly, from pictures the block in this looks similar to Packard's engine. It may be the same, it can find its roots back in the thirties. For the age, it's a fairly advanced design, all bearing surfaces are pressure fed with oil, the weak points are the conrods if you over-rev it. Cast iron pistons, coated with tin see this to being a low-revving but torque-laden lump.

Busman: $5300, or by today's exchange rate £4074.

I believe this to be the original color scheme. I quite like the sky blue, so it's going to hang around.

Phil

That's a '52 or newer with that gearshift. Very similar inside though!

It's sitting at standard ride height as far as I can tell. The wheels are tucked down deep into the arches and the front overhang gives an impression of being lower than it is.

Phil

Are we going to see your Fuelly Sig change to the Chieftain and single figures Phil?

Book is 12 city, 19-25 highway.

Research on comments on Pontiac internet fora suggests 15-18 MPG is realistic for everyday pottering (so in the low 20's UK MPG).

Considering it's 6.5:1 compression, it will probably run on anything and return about the same economy figures.

Phil

5300 dollars for that beauty or 4995 for that pile of crap next to it in the first picture. I'd have done the same.

But, that's down from $12,995.

A stack of paper with Benjamin Franklin on each one spoke out to the guy, who in all fairness was most excellent and wonderful to deal with.

Phil

Excellent, I can totally see the appeal behind this. Sad to hear the Renault go but it sounds like domestic bliss will be restored with your new car, which is not an element to be underestimated. 

That's also quite a discount you got there! Looking forward to more photos and project progression. Imagine not having to deal with American-French bits anymore!

That is very lovely.  I love American cars and have a 30 plus fleet in 1:43 scale!

Remember my wee daughter being engrossed by an early 50s Packard at Northampton about ten years ago.  Might have been a '51?

attachicon.gifR0011770a.jpg

Has it been lowered?  Looks quite low to the ground

I think that is a Pontiac. Amazingly the more expensive Packards were much plainer inside.

I think that is a Pontiac. Amazingly the more expensive Packards were much plainer inside.

You are right. Zoomed in on a big screen you can clearly see the Chieftain head and the word PONTIAC on the center of the steering wheel...

Ace, nice find. Were you particularly looking for one of these, or just looking to spend some money?

Well, that's an interesting question. What began the ball rolling was actually the wife. Understand that she has an innate hatred for the styling of the Renault, so when her Facebook feed showed up a '65 Pontiac Catalina for sale locally for a very good price, she showed me and said that It Was A Car That She Did Not Mind The Look Of.

Circumstances however caused someone else to buy it before I could. Therefore, I did what any sane person would; I had a quiet sulk and started looking at cars on Craiglist. There was very little in my interest range on the New Orleans subsection so I broadened my search to center on Baton Rouge. Up pops this in the search, already reduced to $8k after 24 days of having been posted.

It was shown to the wife. She agreed that indeed, it was a fine looking automobile (Yeah, that one is okay).

To stop me nagging about it she agreed to take the road trip to go view it. Once I was certain it was not a complete basket case, that was it. It had to be mine. Ever since I got to drive a 1947 Humber Super Snipe about 20 years ago this era of vehicle had been etched into my mind. The price was reduced, reduced again.. a call was placed and the age-old question "What's your best price if I bring cash today?" was asked.

The rest is in this thread.

Phil

All kinds of cool - I'd pay more than that just to have it sit outside my place and drool on it at regular intervals........ I know it's a cliche - but they really did do it with more style back 'in the day' didn't they.... I like the looks of some modern stuff too - but it just doesn't compete with the whole package. 

That thing gives me wood - even just looking at the photo's on here...... WOW

• PhilA changed the title to 1951 Pontiac Chieftain - Twin Points
  • PhilA changed the title to 1951 Pontiac Chieftain

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Shirley Knott
      Greetings all.

After lurking here for a short while, frankly liking what I see and enjoying the various shite, the site has well and truly struck a chord with me. I'm a serial buyer of ropey sub £1k vehicles, don't have to but genuinely enjoy it.

I feel like I might (Just might) have found my 'spiritual' home here

I've been posting across the web on owner specific forums (Usually using either my JoeyEunos or RandomPrecion handles) for a while now, but from here-on-in I will pull my threads together and merge them here into one ghastly topic.

My current steeds...

Lupo 1.7 SDI

SAM_5560 by

and the work/story so far...http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/102863-joeyeunoss-sdi-beater/

Golf Mk4 SDI

SAM_5531 by

and the thread.... http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/597074-project-slow/

Early (1989) Mk1 Eunos (This one was recently sold)

SAM_4656 by

the thread...http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213274

Other shite I've owned and moved on in the last year include this ropey Passat...

SAM_6011 by

and this legendary £300 Fiesta Finesse...

Festa by

Cars I'd like to own/actively looking for in the forthcoming weeks/months/years...

Rover 75 (Dizzler)
      Peugeot 405 (XUD)
      Mk1 Octavia (Estate/dizzler, pre pd or SDI)
      Honda CRV (Gen1)
      Volvo 240/850
    • By SiC
      Paid and picked up today by @Inspector Morose. Awaiting delivery tomorrow by @worldofceri.
      Been a bit of a shit year, so a little Xmas present to myself with some inheritance I received this year. Rather quite excited!!
      Had some issues with the V5 earlier today where it was still on the owner before the sellers name. Got a receipt and the seller seemed pretty genuine. 
      Bought sight unseen, apart from some poor pictures on an eBay auction. So also a bit nervous. Has been regularly MOT'd with no real bad advisories or failure till 2018 though.
      The eBay auction is still about if you look for it. Not the price I paid as it didn't hit reserve, but wasn't massively more. No pictures apart from that and this from a March 1996 Practical Classics

Hilariously* I think this car actually is now suffering from the issues warned about in this article. 

Will need some welding to both back rear arches, nearside (bolt on) wing and a-pillar. The pillar is the biggest concern as these can be rust traps that rot out from the hinge. Underside looks good from the photos though. 
      I'm promising myself not to poke to begin with and just drive the bugger. 
      More tomorrow.
    • By rusty_vw_man
      Been a serial lurker and occasional poster of nonsense, but have never quite got round to posting some pictures and the ongoing tribulations of being a serial VW licker.
      First a disclaimer - I like old VWs, partly as I grew up with them and partly because I understand how the work and I can fix* them. I do not like the 'scene' attached to them, it seems to attract too many of a certain type of person I am often allergic to - they bring me out in a shouty rage. 
      First car was a'69 beetle in red, driven flat out everywhere  until the rust took it. This was followed by a succession of Mk2 golf , vauxhall omega (vauxhall being close to VW in the sales ads)  a free Mk3 golf which was dire and tried to kill me multiple times. I have no photos of any of these as they were pre-camera phone and mostly awful. 
      Then came a T25 camper bought using generous donations from friends and family at our wedding . Bought, and a week later after hovering 15 years of dog hair out of it, we drove it all the way to northern Norway on honeymoon. Used it for a while.
      Bought a vauxhall astra estate (again, it was almost a VW in the sales section). It sucked. It did a year of commuting then it was scrapped. Was gifted a skoda fabia estate by my dad as a sensible run around. 
      During this time my wife wanted a sensible runaround for her and the kids, so we bought a bright orange 1971 beetle (rusty of course) which was excellent fun. People were openly critical of apparent lack of regard for our offsprings safety. I pointed out it had seat belts.
       Due to rusting the T25 was sold as a project, the Skoda was sold for being too dull and a T2 purchased.
      Here is the peak of VW ownership, where the beetle, bay and T25 are all in one place just before sale:

So now we had two aircooled vehicles, the newest of which was  made in 1973.
      This lasted for exactly 9 months., during which I did lots of this:

to be repeatedly rewarded with this:

When the breakdown driver asks how the kids are getting on, you know you've seen him too much....
      I also conducted some invisible repairs on the rusty bits of the beetle. I'll point them out if anyone can't see them:

A promotion and car allowance then allowed me to purchase a C3 Picasso (best not ask, I hate it). Its purple. I feel like a dick when I drive it. 
      Beetle then had to go due to third child and not enough seats, but it had the good engine, the van did not. A swap occurred. My neighbors love* me and find my antics endearing*. I clearly have no need for a drive or garage.

After 1 too many FTPs, I was told van or family. I chose family and the van left. 
      I then went a looked at another T25 minibus (three kids now) and was in much trouble for even considering another van. 
      Two weeks later, after some small* arguments* we were in total agreement* and the van was purchased. 
      Roughly 18 months ago - note lovely laqueer peel, mismatched rear wing and low level tide mark:

After some light fiddling I have made a very basic day van affair, and we dragged it with camping gear and the three kids all the way up to the arctic circle in Finland last summer (wife has family in that part of the world).
      6 days before departure I noticed the rear suspension had a bit of paint hanging off. I pulled and it showed this below:

Trip to machine mart, a google of "mig wleding for numpties" and a youtube video later and I'd made this:

and away we went. 
      Here it is in a moody B&W photo  in the land of the midnight sun, which really brings out the high quality paint. the rear suspension is still attached though, so winning. 

That's an epic catch up post really, but will use this space now to document the exciting* repairs and work done on it to keep everything attached .and working.... 
    • By vulgalour
      Fackin oops.

My goal was not to buy any more cars but with the Lanchester out of action while we work through it and make it safe to use, and the Princess out of action and needing the engine to be removed (a job I am procrastinating about, and when I'm motivated am thwarted by schedule and weather conflicts) it was getting more obvious that I needed some personal transport.  Something basic and reliable that I know my way around, that's going to be cheap to buy and run.  This is an ideal candidate, on paper.
      Whether I really can just use it as An Car or will end up getting all finicky about making it nice remains to be seen.  I just want some hasslefree pootling for a few months and normally Maestros are just that.
    • By cobblers
      Right so! I was looking to lease an EV through the business, but completely failed due to hating new car dealers, hating touchscreens and eventually settling on a hybrid which is out of stock until mid-late 2022. 
      So I gave up and decided to get a Land rover. I failed at that too, after my mate sent me a link to the advert for this on ebay, at about 9pm. Ten minutes later I had arranged to drive down to see it the next day.

I'm a glutton for punishment, and I really miss my last t25 so it was pretty inevitable that I'd buy it. It was more money than I'm used to spending on these, but overall I was pleased with the deal.
      A dawn raid by our very own @worldofceri had it delivered on Friday morning:

It's a Swedish van originally, and was imported in 2006. Incredibly solid, never been painted and a fantastic "worn in" look. It's a 2.1 "DJ" engine which is pretty healthy but as usual is weeping coolant from various places, they all do that sir. A friend has a rebuilt engine on his shelf so I budgeted that into the purchase - We'll see how it goes.
      Totally original other than someone put some mega Fox/Gowesty suspension on it, proper mega bypass shocks with external reservoirs and stuff, so I reckon I can probably take it off jumps or something. I won't.
      My plans are to (after cleaning the filthy interior) to just run it about, more or less as it is. It would benefit from a set of tyres - these are worn very ridged on the fronts that makes it even more noisy and harsh to drive, and has no spare wheel.
      I've rotated the tyres so now the front ones are smoother, we'll see how I get on. I do need to source another matching wheel for a spare as these are full time 4wd so you need to keep the tyres rotated regular and within a very similar tread depth. look - there's even a sticker telling you to:

I really need to get some new number plates for it! If anyone knows a place who could make some OE style ones with that font all the VW dealers seemed to use in the 1980s, that would be grand - I want some with the dealers logo putting on the bottom: