Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

But what is the point? Is it competition? If so who wins? It can't be a simple race because massive oversteer doesn't win races in other motorsports. Is it judged like figure skating, for set moves and style etc?

I've no idea if/how it's scored, but speaking as someone who derived much childish satisfaction from briefly putting a Riva sideways on greasy roundabouts, the idea of being able to do it all the way round a track is very appealing. I don't see the point of the whole "style" adopted by many omgdriftorzzzzz, but then that's true of any automotive clique.

I don't get the drifting thing either, or at least referring to it as "racing". Surely deliberately losing grip (and thus, time) is the antithesis of racing on a circuit.

Many years ago, I did a bit of FF1600 club racing, and the object of the exercise was to get round the circuit, 20 times, faster than anyone else. One of the many things involved in achieving this goal was not going sideways. That can be quite difficult. Going sideways (and indeed in complete circles) in a Van Diemen RF92 is fairly easy.

Going slightly O/T, when you watch 50's F1, or 60's Touring Car race footage, they drift through every corner, and while I appreciate it was only because the suspension & tyres of the time necessitated it, it still makes for awesome viewing. Especially in F1, where you can see the drivers frantically wrestling the wheel to maintain control. And even now, half the appeal of rallying is the fact that the cars are still sliding around the courses.

Banger racing on Efi?

... an admission from in my yoof, holidaying in Cornwall, I attended some ovalakshunn. Big [err, well actually a bit shorter] Triumph 2.5Pi were 'weapon of choice', if expecting a trophy.

Did the fuel go off in a big smashup then??

TS

I would think any American car to this day would use Imperial fixings.

Most Fords and Vauxhalls are engineered in the UK/Germany these days so I wrote those off. Obviously imports are still made in imperial-speak though.

It's such a mess over there, whenever we get drawings of American components at work it's pretty much flip a coin what it'll be dimensioned in.

What were the last cars to be sold in this country designed with imperial measurements not metric?

Obvs when you fix it with imperial tools not your usual metrics.

Have no idea really, but presumably something from the late 1950's.

Austin?