What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

21 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Didn't think I'd see this again in my lifetime. 

DSC_1001.thumb.JPG.077e887d29acab4cf8ada2cb4f69ebcf.JPG

No such largesse from Sainsbury's, which only goes as far as 103.9 in this area for basic 95.

20 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Also why is it almost impossible to get a decent photo of an LED display with a digital camera? 

LED displays often run through a strobing circuit. Too fast for the human eye (which only sees a full display as intended), but not quite quick enough for a digicam, which is quicker still. 

27 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Also why is it almost impossible to get a decent photo of an LED display with a digital camera? 

because the way they work, no 2 segments are actually ever on at the same time

each one is rapidly turned on and then off after the other, thanks to persistence of vision, to our eyeballs it looks like they are all lit constantly

but a camera gets caught out by this

sometimes you can notice it with your eyes if you look at one just out the corner of your eye or movie your eyes rapidly across it you may notice the flickering

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

because the way they work, no 2 segments are actually ever on at the same time

each one is rapidly turned on and then off after the other, ...

The original idea behind this was to save power - firing small circuits rapidly in succession apparently uses less power than lighting all of them continuously. 

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I thought the point of using LEDs in the first place is that they use very little power compared to incandescent bulbs?

Correct, but you can take the inherent power-saving to even further extremes by strobing them.

Also, the current generation of high-power LEDs can generate quite a bit of heat, so it makes sense to fire them momentarily rather than continuously. 

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I thought the point of using LEDs in the first place is that they use very little power compared to incandescent bulbs?

the main thing here is not just power saving but it also greatly reduces the amount of outputs you need from whatever control logic is driving the display, so reduces complexity a lot, a lot less pins wires etc etc

I recommend googling multiplexing and multiplexed displays :) 

just looking at youtube to carry watching something from last night and the ad before it is saltdays

they flog all sorts of useful stuff to help do other stuff in house or garage

this one was a phone holder

which looks like someones look a leaper off a jag - got hold of a stapler and used the hinge so the paws of the jag hold the phone :D

WTF - most of their stuff ahh thats a good idea but who came up with that

:D

16 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Unleaded 99.7p in Morrisons today.

I'm still waiting for it to drop under a squid a litre.Liskeard Morrisons has stubbornly  been at 107.9 for weeks despite several deliveries.Oh well,because Cornwall I suppose.Won't fill up the daily even at a quid a litre,it would still double in value.?

the old git was watching millionaire

went to make tea and she said do you know which came first tt le mans monaco and indy 500 (she was reading the paper)

err tt indy le mans monaco after about 3 seconds

youd have won a million quid

ive never watched millionaire with clarkson in it