What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

What are the tail-lights from? I recognise them but can't identify them. So annoying!!!!

Looks like a Morris Ital light cluster.

I’m with ADW, they do indeed look like Morris Ital lights.

Can't do that with solid state drive, apparently.

Fragmentation actually helps SSDs! Having data fragmented splits it across parts of the disk means across many flash devices thus increasing the amount of data that can be read at once.

• Like 2

I'm very tempted to invest in a scissor lift like that for my garage. Not trailer mounted ofc but you can get them on a movable trolly type mechanism.

Anyone got experience of them and if they're as useful as they look?

Slartibartfast has a set of quickjacks which I've been meaning to pester him to let me have a go with - I'd say that in the real world they'd be more useful than a 2-post lift for most people. They store totally flat, and can lift a car 50cm  off the ground so you can get in and do oil changes or change tyres, brakes etc really easily. They're not cheap, but cheap compared to a 2-post lift  and much easier for the average joe to store and use and whatnot.

Had a bit of a battle with this little bugger a couple of days ago fixing bits for the mot, locking wheel nut key snaped grrr, so had to resort to a bfo hammer and a sacrificial socket to get them off, then the drivers seat was refusing to tilt forward because someone had managed to snap the mechanism on one side, repaired with parts of an old saab seat I had kicking around and then fixed multiple other things I wasn't told about.

post-5550-0-31108600-1550436638_thumb.jpg

Had to postpone the test I'd booked for Friday because I was waiting for new wheel nuts to arrive, luckily my friendly mot man squeezed me in yesterday and it passed.

Took it for a drive today. I'd forgotten what a hoot this thing is, very revvy, handles pretty well and it's always urging you to press on. Put a big grin on my face for a bit.

I'm not sure how long I'll keep it because it's not really me but if it does go it'll be on here first.

Is that the ex- Wilson Wilson 25 GTi? Phwaorrr.

I think I'd be shot, but it was great.

That's the one, Originally rescued from the bridge by Mr Bollox then on loan and later bought by WW and eventually roffled with me winning. I then sold/loaned to a mate who's now given it back. 

It's a real credit to Bollox for the work he did to the head as it hasn't missed a beat since he sorted it.

• Like 3

I was told it shortens their lifespan.

Yeah defragmenting an SSD will use up it's wear cycles. Each flash element has a maximum number of write cycles (reads don't matter). Defragmenting involves reading and writing data between places and thus use them up. Unnecessarily especially as it slows them down anyway as described previously.

• Like 3

Yeah defragmenting an SSD will use up it's wear cycles. Each flash element has a maximum number of write cycles (reads don't matter). Defragmenting involves reading and writing data between places and thus use them up. Unnecessarily especially as it slows them down anyway as described previously.

Interesting. I knew there was no need to defrag an SSD, and that it was bad for them but wasn't sure why.

• Like 1

Interesting. I knew there was no need to defrag an SSD, and that it was bad for them but wasn't sure why.

the closest thing SSDs have to "De fragging" is Trimming

its an operation that lets the OS tell the SSD exactly whats been deleted so the SSD can free up and erase each NAND block properly etc

otherwise without TRIM if you fill up an SSD with stuff, then format it, while the OS knows its formatted, the SSD itself wont know this and will still think its full, which can lead to issues etc...

(on magnetic media writing to a spot is the same regardless if its empty or if there is data written, however on SSDs writing to a spot where theres data is much slower then if the spot really is empty)

hopefully this all makes sense :)

• Like 3

Earlier I noticed on my local Facebook marketplace someone was selling an unused coffin, the reason for sale being no longer required. (And yes, I did consider buying it, but wasn't sure if it was my size, in any case have already asked my family to use an old carpet and roll me up in it)

PS if I was selling I'd have advertised it as an unwanted Valentine's present.

Earlier I noticed on my local Facebook marketplace someone was selling an unused coffin, the reason for sale being no longer required. (And yes, I did consider buying it, but wasn't sure if it was my size, in any case have already asked my family to use an old carpet and roll me up in it)

Any pictures ? and how much are they asking as I could do with one for the hearse, but it would have to be cheap or one of those really ornate ones.

• Like 2

No longer required? Have they found a cure for death? Decided to give the mother in law one last chance? :lol: I love Facebook ads
  • Like 3

There's a "used" one for sale....

• Like 1

Got sent onto a bullshit box ticking 4 week long course.

managed to talk myself out of being there in under an hour because i was more qualified to be teaching the course than the lecturer :lol:

• Like 4

Any pictures ? and how much are they asking as I could do with one for the hearse, but it would have to be cheap or one of those really ornate ones.

Rather surprisingly it went pretty quick, there is one in an antique shop in Bridgend, it's been there a while, I'll check if it's still there and get a photo, It was a tv prop, but did look the part. In do know someone who has a fantastic orbnate gothic tin coffin cover (you put the cheap coffin inside for the funeral, but, take it out for the burial), they won't sell it to me.

Bought a bargain of a Citroen picasso for a ton. Decent interior but engine was shagged as was the exterior. I've swapped the interior over into mine,removed the towbar for mine too. That's a couple of hundred quid to buy an interior with doorcards and a towbar second hand on eBay for a start. Also have the lights for sale front and rear and relieved the boot struts for mine too. Still managed to sell the remains and the cat for 120 quid. I have some scrap to weigh in and the battery to weigh in too for a few more quid.and I had the sense to remove a straight section of exhaust to use as a decat pipe on mine too so I can get rid of the cat for another few Bob. All in all a nice little money spinner.

Bought a bargain of a Citroen picasso for a ton. Decent interior but engine was shagged as was the exterior. I've swapped the interior over into mine,removed the towbar for mine too. That's a couple of hundred quid to buy an interior with doorcards and a towbar second hand on eBay for a start. Also have the lights for sale front and rear and relieved the boot struts for mine too. Still managed to sell the remains and the cat for 120 quid. I have some scrap to weigh in and the battery to weigh in too for a few more quid.and I had the sense to remove a straight section of exhaust to use as a decat pipe on mine too so I can get rid of the cat for another few Bob. All in all a nice little money spinner.

There is no excuse for this. Kill it, kill it now. It is the Enemy.

(Yes, I detest them. But yes, I meant this comment with humour. Anyone that is 'offended' can GTF, all the way TF.)

• Like 2