The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Austat said:

I discovered a great Instagram account the other day that I knew a lot of people on here would enjoy. It's essentially 1990's Scottish chod-spots, from the account @automotive90s .

Enjoy.

280295710_131324899494538_6698354282324747345_n.thumb.webp.ce38900a2d857dfbf7b931a86b61ed57.webp

279310666_505816457946973_5851212796295155131_n.thumb.webp.5923bd473c05def2a076966db2cc8ae4.webp

278700100_2598001537011414_416614820314940417_n.thumb.webp.634bed5e404517cc2853f4317de26930.webp

More shite:

Reveal hidden contents

278572273_721764215902887_1328539108282697241_n.thumb.webp.cd1308637cbd5257dfb271d1bf1c9ae6.webp

278654321_716124732907076_7217820656082983958_n.thumb.webp.3b070f967027100d14b36cc96ed3b386.webp

https://www.instagram.com/automotive90s/

ǝlɐpsuo˥ ɐ pǝʇʇods ʎllɐnʇɔɐ ǝuoǝɯos ʇᴉɥs ʎloH

Uh-oh

image.thumb.png.5287ae90a297ae9dcf6f17985c9c01a0.png

Best slope round to the garage later with my tail between my legs and ask what's going on with the rear suspension.

I will hasten to add that I've not laid hands on this car in anger yet, all the repairs are courtesy of the previous owner.

I gave the garage a call to ask about the fail, the chap on the desk tells me ‘The tester says he knows you, and that it’ll be better for him to have a chat with you when you pick it up at this evening’. Ominous.

Ive just got home from collecting the car. From having a chat with the tester (who is a really nice chap and the reason I use this garage now) he tells me that the previous welded repair to the sill from the last owner is only tacked in place, so I need to run a continuous bead around it and that’s sorted. The other side just needs a patch apparently so no drama there. The windscreen wiper is a fail as when the screen dries out then it doesn’t run through its full travel. Further investigation required on my part there. The rear suspension ‘modifications’ are slits in the rubber boots on each hydraulic cylinder. This is the cause of the leak also. Replace the boots and he’s happy to pass the suspension. The chevronics prices make me want to cry so I’ll be looking at my other two cars for a loan of suspension units I think, kick the problem down the line…

So not really as tragic as it could be on an ancient, high mileage hydraulic Citroen. Best get busy working on it before my retest window disappears!

Bit of a frustrating day today said I could paint dad's van's winter wheels and didn't expect this to be a big job. But it was, it's only 4 years old but I don't think the previous owner ever washed the wheels after winter, so the salt has been on them all the time as they are very rusty. If I had known they were that bad, I would have sandblasted them before he put on new tyres, but this is too late for now. So it took several hours of sanding and scraping and only got the front of the wheels done, the back side is really bad and will have to do that later when I have more time if the weather permits. The breathing mask also broke so I'm curious how much trouble that causes and some of the paint on the last 2 rims wouldn't dry don't know why.

Before and after.

20221013_160356.thumb.jpg.1636431f5fb6c5121a8be6963c108a0c.jpg

23 hours ago, barefoot said:

Surely for a few short moments you were custodian of arguably the finest French car ever made...

IMG_9786.thumb.JPG.9425d06b3a4b59db7a12d44e38eb3d26.JPG

That was one that got away from me. Never won any of the many roffles it had.

But tbh given the fact the electronic handbrake unit went thermonuclear in the end of it, its probably not a bad thing!

1 hour ago, SiC said:

That was one that got away from me. Never won any of the many roffles it had.

But tbh given the fact the electronic handbrake unit went thermonuclear in the end of it, its probably not a bad thing!

I’ve heard many tales of this but never saw the post when it went kaboom. Anyone got a link? 

1 hour ago, Rust Collector said:

I gave the garage a call to ask about the fail, the chap on the desk tells me ‘The tester says he knows you, and that it’ll be better for him to have a chat with you when you pick it up at this evening’. Ominous.

Ive just got home from collecting the car. From having a chat with the tester (who is a really nice chap and the reason I use this garage now) he tells me that the previous welded repair to the sill from the last owner is only tacked in place, so I need to run a continuous bead around it and that’s sorted. The other side just needs a patch apparently so no drama there. The windscreen wiper is a fail as when the screen dries out then it doesn’t run through its full travel. Further investigation required on my part there. The rear suspension ‘modifications’ are slits in the rubber boots on each hydraulic cylinder. This is the cause of the leak also. Replace the boots and he’s happy to pass the suspension. The chevronics prices make me want to cry so I’ll be looking at my other two cars for a loan of suspension units I think, kick the problem down the line…

So not really as tragic as it could be on an ancient, high mileage hydraulic Citroen. Best get busy working on it before my retest window disappears!

https://www.bxparts.eu/en/hydraulic-return/149-95-577-323-rear-hyd-suspension-cyl-boot-bxgsgsa.html

Try these, about £30 each +Vat, duty and postage, so less than a quarter of the price of Chevronics.

Who I have to say seem to be robbers at £203 per gaiter.

2 minutes ago, artdjones said:

https://www.bxparts.eu/en/hydraulic-return/149-95-577-323-rear-hyd-suspension-cyl-boot-bxgsgsa.html

Try these, about £30 each +Vat, duty and postage, so less than a quarter of the price of Chevronics.

Yeah, I’d weigh the car in before spending £420 on two rubber gaiters!

Cheers for the link, I’d completely forgotten about that company.

Today I had my first trip to the London office since before the pandemic.  It was a nice easy day - 9am train down, in the office for 11, said hello to everyone, half an hour's work, then an hour's meeting, 20 minutes more work then a 3 hour lunch in a very nice restaurant on the 14th floor of a skyscraper with an amazing view over the City and the Thames.  Back to the office, another 40 minutes of work then on the 4.30 train home.  The only problem I encountered was that I'd misunderestimated how bad the traffic would be at that time on a Thursday morning, and I had to run to catch the train - I'd not broken into a run since the first lockdown and my legs have been manifesting their discontent at being forced into it after all this time.

The Jag is still not playing ball. Its smoking from the n/s exhaust and is occasionally barely running at all. 

Theres smoke coming from the dipstick too, so I'm wondering if its the oil breather separator? I can see that from the top of the engine, just need to figure out a way to get to it by removing all the fucking shite above it. 

Although it might be just a hose or something in the same area, there was a little smoke on startup today coming from that area. 

Will start removing stuff this weekend, weather depending, to see if I can find a likely culprit. 

In good news, maybe the oil leak thats made a mess of the street outside my house is nothing. The oil filler neck wasn't on right. Upon looking, it comes off if you overtighten the cap. Some proper crappy design there. 

I was hoping that it was meant to create enough of a vaccum to let the car run properly and not being seated was the cause of all my problems but alas no, it's still shite. 

MOT is out soon and its not got any off road parking so I'm gonna have to figure summink out fast... 

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Today I had my first trip to the London office since before the pandemic.  It was a nice easy day - 9am train down, in the office for 11, said hello to everyone, half an hour's work, then an hour's meeting, 20 minutes more work then a 3 hour lunch in a very nice restaurant on the 14th floor of a skyscraper with an amazing view over the City and the Thames.  Back to the office, another 40 minutes of work then on the 4.30 train home.  The only problem I encountered was that I'd misunderestimated how bad the traffic would be at that time on a Thursday morning, and I had to run to catch the train - I'd not broken into a run since the first lockdown and my legs have been manifesting their discontent at being forced into it after all this time.

I understand walk, but what is this 'run' you speak of? :)

I went to a funeral yesterday, bloke I've known years had a heart attack after climbing up on his roof earlier in the day. Reasonable turnout with lots of old British motorcycles and for reasons that are unclear, I've become quite friendly with the funeral director over the past couple of years. Anyway in addition to her usual smile & cheery greeting, yesterday I got the full hug & kiss on the cheek. It wasn't until later that I realised; like the hangman shaking a chap's hand to gauge his weight, in her head, she was essentially measuring me up for a coffin!

10 hours ago, artdjones said:

Not sure what you are after - but the Autodoc App lists quite a lot of BX parts including gaiters at ordinary rather than cult prices. 

10 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Internet YouTube rubbish - but had me chuckling - it's the overweening human ambition v nature. Must be a popular spectator spot after rain.

There is a clear gauge showing how deep the water is...

Note to self:  be careful of flooded roads - especially near Rufford...

BENGREGERS' and 'Tom Sutherland' are absolute legends for showing up the arrogance and stupidity of drivers and the resulting abject failure. 

If there was a ford near my house, I am certain that there would be a lot of dead sub 5 year old BMWs and Audis owned by people who drive with their foot to the floor like they are heading into oblivion.

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

Not sure what you are after - but the Autodoc App lists quite a lot of BX parts including gaiters at ordinary rather than cult prices. 

The part that @artdjones linked is exactly the part I’m after - I did check Autodoc, eBay, gsf etc. using the relevant part number but it looks like they don’t carry it. All in I’m looking at about €80 plus any import fees which is fine for a year’s ticket.

It’s a shame C5 gaiters are slightly different as apparently the saloon struts are the same diameter as BX struts. The C5 part is a tenner on eBay.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

BENGREGERS' and 'Tom Sutherland' are absolute legends for showing up the arrogance and stupidity of drivers and the resulting abject failure. 

If there was a ford near my house, I am certain that there would be a lot of dead sub 5 year old BMWs and Audis owned by people who drive with their foot to the floor like they are heading into oblivion.

Yes - it's the big expensive cars that seem to come off worst.  People drive in too fast even when they have made the decision  to cross - there is then a bow wave which swamps the car... 

Trying to restart the car is fatal once it has stalled - sucking any water in the inlets deeper into the mechanics.

Sad videos but at least nobody gets hurt - except quite a lot of pride and wallets. There are 40k cars that are virtually written off.

10 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

The Jag is still not playing ball. Its smoking from the n/s exhaust and is occasionally barely running at all. 

Theres smoke coming from the dipstick too, so I'm wondering if its the oil breather separator? I can see that from the top of the engine, just need to figure out a way to get to it by removing all the fucking shite above it. 

Although it might be just a hose or something in the same area, there was a little smoke on startup today coming from that area. 

Will start removing stuff this weekend, weather depending, to see if I can find a likely culprit. 

In good news, maybe the oil leak thats made a mess of the street outside my house is nothing. The oil filler neck wasn't on right. Upon looking, it comes off if you overtighten the cap. Some proper crappy design there. 

I was hoping that it was meant to create enough of a vaccum to let the car run properly and not being seated was the cause of all my problems but alas no, it's still shite. 

MOT is out soon and its not got any off road parking so I'm gonna have to figure summink out fast... 

Have you got a thread for the Jag? Quite interested to see how you get on with it these 2.7 they seem like they can be troublesome muthas.

15 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Theres something you guys dont know about me.  A recently untold secret that has been eating me inside. Keeping me awake. 

A new thing in my life, as the old one just wasnt any good it seems. 

So here it is. 

20221014_132546.thumb.jpg.5ab214d4f0fd2269bcb68457f05783f8.jpg

I guess the cats out of the bag now. 

Im exhausted. 

18/10

I had a small sag in the lacquer on the wing so I cut it nearly level with the rest of the wing and polished it up. You can feel it but not really see it. Luckily it's at the very bottom of the panel, below the trim.

PXL_20221014_141401723.thumb.jpg.6cae7398ad7b86caca8fd73bff5deb3b.jpg

Camera had a hard time focussing. I couldn't completely erase it because there's a dimple right next to it.