The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

4 hours ago, brownnova said:

Spot of the day… hand painted flowers on a Perodua Kenari! 
E7299BCE-7F7B-43C2-AE8F-9CB1E4001DB7.jpegB1EAA01C-B72B-4DCF-B87E-6223EA304EEE.jpeg

My old Kenari originally had flowers on it, albeit in vinyl sticker form.  A bottom half repaint got rid of those.

It was previously owned by a mate's Mrs, and she added the flowers in an attempt to stop him "borrowing" it all the time.

I posted off the Rover ECU earlier, to a man on the Rover 75 forum who is going to harvest its data and paste onto a shiny new replacement ECU, with a cheeky 160bhp remap thrown in.  I've sent it Royal Mail Special Delivery so at least it's insured if it does go walkabout, but hopefully it won't as the Rover is immobile until I get the new one back.

The chap charges £180, which is the biggest single bill I've had in the 3 1/2 years I've owned the car - which isn't bad going really.  I might even be able to recoup some of that by selling the Ron box that's currently on the car.

I had needed to remove the fuel tank on the Discovery as the crossmember it bolts to is rotten. I had to cut the bolts off that the tank guard attaches to this crossmember with. The whole thing fought me all the way. Had to cut the bolts off to the anti-rollbar. The tank wouldn't come out due to towbar bracket bolts through the chassis, these had to be cut off. Then the hose clips were siezed, these too had to be ( carefully) cut off. Next the towbar bolts , a two foot breaker bar and lots of grunting wouldn't shift them, cut them off with the grinder. With the towbar brackets off I could then cut the bolts flush with the chassis rail.

Success, the tank is out....Hmm I now need the ramp for MoT work and a Discovery is a bit heavy for me to push in and out of the workshop. A cunning plan was formed. I bolted the anti-rollbar back up, poured fuel into an oil jug , lashed my step-ladder to the rollbar and hooked it into the remaining towbar bracket. I dropped a wheel chock down the bracket to stop the ladder moving then fed the fuel pick-up into the jug and placed it on top of the step-ladder...

IMG_0159.JPG

Only driven in and out of the workshop yesterday and today.

23 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

I had needed to remove the fuel tank on the Discovery as the crossmember it bolts to is rotten. I had to cut the bolts off that the tank guard attaches to this crossmember with. The whole thing fought me all the way. Had to cut the bolts off to the anti-rollbar. The tank wouldn't come out due to towbar bracket bolts through the chassis, these had to be cut off. Then the hose clips were siezed, these too had to be ( carefully) cut off. Next the towbar bolts , a two foot breaker bar and lots of grunting wouldn't shift them, cut them off with the grinder. With the towbar brackets off I could then cut the bolts flush with the chassis rail.

Success, the tank is out....Hmm I now need the ramp for MoT work and a Discovery is a bit heavy for me to push in and out of the workshop. A cunning plan was formed. I bolted the anti-rollbar back up, poured fuel into an oil jug , lashed my step-ladder to the rollbar and hooked it into the remaining towbar bracket. I dropped a wheel chock down the bracket to stop the ladder moving then fed the fuel pick-up into the jug and placed it on top of the step-ladder...

IMG_0159.JPG

Only driven in and out of the workshop yesterday and today.

That would be considered a factory spec repair on a lot of farm vehicles I've known!

On 4/4/2022 at 1:38 PM, junkyarddog said:

Fed up with the cost of fuel but still wish to keep your shitters credibility intact?

Me too,so I bought this last Saturday at an Autojumble.

1950s BSA bicycle. 

Spent the morning tinkering with it,and it's now in a rideable condition,just🤣

20220404_131438.thumb.jpg.6d11d615734a77442603ff91ce43f6c1.jpg

20220404_131450.thumb.jpg.2aaa165bb0e975f4733f82c5c0a9c1a7.jpg

Plan is to give it an oily rag resto and use it to pop to the shops,maybe depends on my fitness levels 🙄🤣

That’s lovely. Plus if you get tired of using it, you can sell to one of those hipster Peaky Blinders fans for £thousands. 

Small Heath FTW. 

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Gobble

PXL_20220406_174337897.thumb.jpg.be3f447fce1f945dd0a6ed226502749f.jpg

When you posted the first picture I did a quick double take. As the owner of another 80s designed Bertone hatchback it looked very familiar but not the same. Had me slightly confused. The key and key ring gave no clues and the steering wheel wasn't visible. Then I saw something that made me realise it was a BX. Any guesses what that was?

PXL_20220406_174337897.jpg.1afad82b0463f6e852716872fc08f67d_edit_1098231687911588.jpg.27a4c6efd4bbdf1988cbd4e651c957b4.jpg

A-ha! 

12 minutes ago, Yoss said:

When you posted the first picture I did a quick double take. As the owner of another 80s designed Bertone hatchback it looked very familiar but not the same. Had me slightly confused. The key and key ring gave no clues and the steering wheel wasn't visible. Then I saw something that made me realise it was a BX. Any guesses what that was?

PXL_20220406_174337897.jpg.1afad82b0463f6e852716872fc08f67d_edit_1098231687911588.jpg.27a4c6efd4bbdf1988cbd4e651c957b4.jpg

A-ha! 

Ah yes, a sort of stereotypical thing for this car to have stowed. Rather glad I've got it, though, as it got me out of trouble when I had a massive leak last summer.

4 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Gobble

PXL_20220406_174337897.thumb.jpg.be3f447fce1f945dd0a6ed226502749f.jpg

The amount of stuff you can fit in a BX or a Xantia does defy belief a little when you look at the size of the car.

Several times people gave me "there's no way that'll fit in th...oh...okay then!" Line when I turned up with the Xantia to shift large furniture items, boxes of computer gear, or indeed on one occasion two industrial air conditioning units...

You can fit a Sinclair C5 in the back of one too - though you do need to remove either the rear seat base or the front wheel of the C5 if you want to close the boot.  I opted for the seat base as it takes about 30 seconds and didn't require me to reassemble things when we got to our holiday destination.

I collected a sofa in my old BX estate.  I was quite lucky that one of the legs was broken and stuck together with parcel tape as it wouldn't have quite fitted without removing the repair.

Today I've been a paid mechanic.  Replaced two windows in a friend's Zafira A.  She locked herself out so smashed the quarter light but still couldn't reach the lock so broke the drivers window too.  I said she didn't have to but it did take 4 hours.  Thought the quarter light would be difficult but it was only 30 minutes of that.

33 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

The amount of stuff you can fit in a BX or a Xantia does defy belief a little when you look at the size of the car.

Several times people gave me "there's no way that'll fit in th...oh...okay then!" Line when I turned up with the Xantia to shift large furniture items, boxes of computer gear, or indeed on one occasion two industrial air conditioning units...

You can fit a Sinclair C5 in the back of one too - though you do need to remove either the rear seat base or the front wheel of the C5 if you want to close the boot.  I opted for the seat base as it takes about 30 seconds and didn't require me to reassemble things when we got to our holiday destination.

It's true- I'm still astounded at how much stuff this car can take.