Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

No joy. Still backfiring through the carb on throttle application, and refusing to run cleanly. Can't get it to even accelerate the engine at the moment - would, poorly, when it was still fairly cold. Must be a carb fault - it's the same one.

Maybe check the accelerator pump is working properly as well?

Well, it certainly squirts. Whether it squirts enough, I'm not sure.

Bloody outstanding progress given the working conditions.... cold.

Mild here! For one day at least...

No joy. Still backfiring through the carb on throttle application, and refusing to run cleanly. Can't get it to even accelerate the engine at the moment - would, poorly, when it was still fairly cold. Must be a carb fault - it's the same one.

Sounds exactly like what mine's decided to do on a couple of occasions - but it seems to come and go.  My money's on a bit of crud floating around in the carb.

Just thinking if you've had the carb off - there's not a vacuum leak at the carb to inlet manifold joint is there?

I had a very good look at that joint, but it seems fine. I've not had the carb off the manifold (as it's impossible to do in-situ). 

Remembering that  90% of fuel issues actually turn out to be ignition issues, I'm going to have a methodical check over of everything tomorrow morning before I get carried away pulling the inlet manifold off for a better look at the carb.

If in doubt, try another condenser before anything else!  That was the cause of at least 95% of the running problems I had with the Skoda Rapid I had...

Don't know what the deal with that car was, but it used to eat them on an almost weekly basis it felt like.

• Like 1

One quick and easy check before you pull anything off. If it will start and tick over, get a can of WD40 and squirt around the carb/manifold and manifold/head joints whilst it is running and listen for a change in revs or watch for smoke. If it revs up or smokes, you have an air leak, if not you can fairly safely rule it out.