warren t claim

The Bikeshite Thread

Got a quote from Aviva today that was pretty cheap, though apparently they don’t do pillion cover.

The guy on the phone seemed to make out that I could still ride with a pillion, but that the pillion rider wouldn’t be covered for liability.. does that seem right? What would that actually mean?

I’ve got a feeling he’s wrong and I wouldn’t be covered at all if I had a pillion.

Got a quote from Aviva today that was pretty cheap, though apparently they don’t do pillion cover.

The guy on the phone seemed to make out that I could still ride with a pillion, but that the pillion rider wouldn’t be covered for liability.. does that seem right? What would that actually mean?

I’ve got a feeling he’s wrong and I wouldn’t be covered at all if I had a pillion.

I think you’re right and he’s wrong. I’d call again and talk to someone higher up the tree to get a definitive answer.

One’s too many, ten’s not enough!

Not sure how much extra pillion cover is than not having it. My policy isn't any less if I have loads of security fitted, so I declare none when I take out a policy and pay the same as I would with a £500 alarm fitted

I just know that if it gets stolen, the insurers wont have such an easy job wriggling out of paying because I declared no alarm or locks fitted.

Aircooled V Twin for Mr Womble, he'll be on a Harley next!

Spotted this in town, some people do the L plate thing better than others. 

post-3405-0-52287400-1554809311_thumb.jpg

To combine the two - he could have one of these a Hardly Dangerous Hummer (one of the many variations, along with the Bantam, of the DKW RT125 )

post-3405-0-84329300-1554809222_thumb.jpg

Likewise, I seemingly had a part of Spain to myself today. A most pleasant 130 mile ride-beats my former 120 mile daily commute down the A120/M11/A13

post-19526-0-99228500-1554851467_thumb.jpg

*Edit* I know I am running the Himilayan in, so, although not sticking to the very low rev limit that the manual says I should, I am not putting the engine under load, and am treating it a bit gently than I will for now. I didn't expect to see 98 mpg though. Nice bike ideally suited for a vast majority of the roads I use here, 

I think you’re right and he’s wrong. I’d call again and talk to someone higher up the tree to get a definitive answer.

The passenger is a third party.

The minimum requirement legally is third party. I reckon they are using words carefully to get you to buy more cover.

I had this with a car insurer. Was trying to tell me my passengers couldn't sue me. I went elsewhere

The passenger is a third party.

The minimum requirement legally is third party. I reckon they are using words carefully to get you to buy more cover.

I had this with a car insurer. Was trying to tell me my passengers couldn't sue me. I went elsewhere

That makes sense.

Blackkie and Bluie's last night together at number 39 (with a bit of mower action).

attachicon.gifIMG_20190408_191737.jpg

Owners manual downloaded.....check

Workshop manual downloaded....check

Parts manual downloaded....check

Downpipes ordered.....check

Space cleared in garage.....ehm...ongoing shall we say.

Likewise, I seemingly had a part of Spain to myself today. A most pleasant 130 mile ride-beats my former 120 mile daily commute down the A120/M11/A13

attachicon.gif20190409_142639.jpg

*Edit* I know I am running the Himilayan in, so, although not sticking to the very low rev limit that the manual says I should, I am not putting the engine under load, and am treating it a bit gently than I will for now. I didn't expect to see 98 mpg though. Nice bike ideally suited for a vast majority of the roads I use here, 

after looking at the map i hope you hung a right there..............

Shamefully the MOT ran out on my SV in February and I still haven't got it out. 

Dragged it out the garage tonight, it still goes and all the lights work so will drop it in while I'm at work tomorrow.

QuestionDoes anyone have real experience of rebuilding cast aluminium engine cooling fins neatly ?

<snip>

In the past I've tried having pieces of aluminium welded in but tbh it wasn't totally successful, nor very neat ..and even before being reassembled the weld line was cracked again..   Apparently welding thin cast aluminium from just one side is not so easy.   I know some owners have tried adhesives to fit pieces of aluminium in these places but of course we are talking about the fins getting hot and also subject to the vibration of a twin cylinder engine. 

How do you, else else quality restorers do this sort of repair so that it is an invisible repair.?

Thanks,

Bfg

I doubt anything short of a TIG welded repair would be satisfactory, my limited experience of those alu-braze rods is that it's very difficult to get it clean enough, the repair goes fuzzy and crusty quickly because of the mag content and I suspect the thermal cycling of barrel or cyl head fins would lead to it falling off quite quickly. 

Shamefully the MOT ran out on my SV in February and I still haven't got it out.

Dragged it out the garage tonight, it still goes and all the lights work so will drop it in while I'm at work tomorrow.

It's a pass, failed initially for an indicator bulb that was working until about 3 left turns before the test centre.

Got an advisory for 1 exhaust stud broken on the front cylinder, but it's not blowing or owt so that can get to absolute fuck until it falls off.

Probably better ride it somewhere now.

Probably better ride it somewhere now.

Super Sausage on Sunday morning obviously, it's only just down the road....

I'm guessing someone on here must have had some Altbergs at some point? Can anyone confirm they would be a terrible idea for riding anything other than a tractor?

I need some new boots for work (nothing enegetic but standing around for 6 hours) and could also do with some warmer bike boots as my current 'sport' boots  are too tight for thick socks and circulation, so man maths suggests buying boots that are more expensive than needed for a casual job and wandering around but could also be used for riding when it isn't 15+ outside could work.

Altberg Hoggs come up a lot as a suggestion, but so does a terrible reputation for customer service, the requirement to move gear levers due to their size and the fact that North Yorkshire is fucking miles away to get them fitted puts me off.

I'm assuming that your work boots need to be steel toe caps? Promise me you won't wear them on the bike. Please.

In a crash the loss of toes is more likely wearing safety boots.

Super Sausage on Sunday morning obviously, it's only just down the road....

Thanks but can't do this Sunday, am booked to go run up a hill as I'm the sort of weirdo who finds that sort of thing fun.

I'm assuming that your work boots need to be steel toe caps? Promise me you won't wear them on the bike. Please.

In a crash the loss of toes is more likely wearing safety boots.

Nah, I have no need for safety boots at work, it's a very part time job that involves standing around for a few hours followed by asking people to sit down for 90 mins. I've always worn DMs with warm socks. My DMs have just got worn enough they no longer support around the ankle so aren't comfortable for the standing round part.

At least you won't overheat tomorrow hill running Dave! Probably a nicer morning to run than ride as it is.