The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Sitting on bikes in the dealership is grand, any dealer discouraging this should be avoided - I'll usually know if it's worth pursuing a test ride or not from that initial plonking of the arse on the saddle. It'll either "feel" right or wrong.

Especially important for shorter riders, my wife was able to rule out a whole pile of 125s, if she doesn't feel confident sitting on one in the showroom she will hardly feel confident on the road

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

@ strangeangel. Tanks, much appreciated. Took a lot of hours to do, but I think it was worth it. It will be up for sale soon to release funds for the next project. Whatever that may be.

Yours doesn't look like it needs to much work doing. Assume its pretty modern, as it has cast alloy wheels ?

38 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

Yours doesn't look like it needs to much work doing. Assume its pretty modern, as it has cast alloy wheels ?

The cast wheels aren't standard - they're from a Jialing JH50! The bike's good to go, the MOT ran out a couple of years ago around the time my rider policy got too expensive. It's a family thing, though, so it's a keeper.

2 minutes ago, hairnet said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-NC700-X-DCT-2013-IDEAL-COMMUTER/123800108655?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

is it me wondering why theres no left grip.....???

i would go look at it but they dont do sundays

Everyone comes round to the right way of thinking eventually, congratulations dude.

Whilst looking for a photo for my  daughter, I found this: Me in 1967 a few days after getting the brand spanking new Peugeot back home (Livingstone Road, RAF Wegberg in Germany).  Initially, using teenage initiative, I registered/insured it as if I was a German citizen. A military policeman whose attention I caught with exuberant riding made me register through the British Forces Germany system and a few weeks later after passing the theory and driving test I received the registration number CP389B.  I can't remember why I painted it duck egg blue in the 1990s. I am now about 4 months away from my 70th birthday and RAF Wegberg has been closed and  out of bounds for several years and is getting overgrown and derelict.   

Scan 94.jpeg

5 hours ago, RayMK said:

Whilst looking for a photo for my  daughter, I found this: Me in 1967 a few days after getting the brand spanking new Peugeot back home (Livingstone Road, RAF Wegberg in Germany).  Initially, using teenage initiative, I registered/insured it as if I was a German citizen. A military policeman whose attention I caught with exuberant riding made me register through the British Forces Germany system and a few weeks later after passing the theory and driving test I received the registration number CP389B.  I can't remember why I painted it duck egg blue in the 1990s. I am now about 4 months away from my 70th birthday and RAF Wegberg has been closed and  out of bounds for several years and is getting overgrown and derelict.   

Scan 94.jpeg

thats fuggin ace

5 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

£300 thundercat passed mot with clean sheet today 

I’m far more excited about this than I should be. 

Also bro has started to get his old 750 back on the road

E999309B-D6B5-4C37-BC51-DC0F4B32E60E.jpeg

8F7BF9DD-1F4F-40A9-B431-E8C7C3C06F7A.jpeg

"Thundercats are on the loose, Thundercats are loose..." etc

Rooting through some old memory cards before I get rid of them... here's a trip down Memory Lane - Lands End to John O'Groats, 2014. Four of us planned to go on Honda Helixes - one failed its MOT the week before and was grounded, another broke down the day before and the third carked it hours into the trip. Only my 1986 JDM Fusion made it, with everyone else resorting to modern stuff.

LE.thumb.JPG.80642dcf4d567bf11599e31c4af06e38.JPG

going.thumb.jpg.3e410ce36f1cad52ea444b4649e3207c.jpg

JOG.thumb.jpg.4991552b6176fd262aecc0c66713677a.jpg

It's not turned a wheel in two years thanks to me now riding a modern :(

Rattle can Spray paint ?????

Anyone here had success with a particular brand of aerosol spray paint,  clear lacquer in particular, for a petrol tank.  ie.having a decent degree of petrol resistance.   ?

I've found Halfords petrol resistant clear lacquer doesn't spray well, and looking on line paints like AutoExtreme < here > have both good and some really bad reviews. Tetrosyl I've used in the past but they've changed their product and I don't know if it still works.

I need to paint a tank black and then clear lacquer over that.  What has anyone here used and can personally recommend.?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Jazoli said:

You really need a 2k lacquer to do it, you can spray it at home but you will need a proper mask as its evil stuff, it also needs plenty of time to cure, if you fill it with petrol within a day or two  the vapours will trash the finish.

2k is also sold in rattle cans such as this HB BodyPro < here >  @ £19.25 / ltr.  Other brands specifically claim petrol resistant like ProXL < here >  @£60 / ltr.  

Would the lesser expensive one not work better than the 'petrol resistant' single pack paints from the likes of Halfords ? ?

Regarding drying / hardening the paint..  I'm quite happy for the fuel tank, once painted black and then lacquered, to sit inside my dark coloured Chrysler van, parked in the sun for a week or two. What's that 25 deg C for 5 hours a day, cycling cool overnight.. for let's say 10 - 12 days. 

EDIT.   It seems as if  " 2k "  is a misnomer with some manufacturers (such as HB BodyPro)  who are using it for air drying single pack paints. !

Been offered a swap for the Scomadi: an (Indian) GP200 which supposedly has a fully rebuilt engine. Also pondering off-loading the Franny Barnett and getting either a Bantam, or a Japanese 2T of some sort.

18 hours ago, Bfg said:

2k is also sold in rattle cans such as this HB BodyPro < here >  @ £19.25 / ltr.  Other brands specifically claim petrol resistant like ProXL < here >  @£60 / ltr.  

Would the lesser expensive one not work better than the 'petrol resistant' single pack paints from the likes of Halfords ? ?

Regarding drying / hardening the paint..  I'm quite happy for the fuel tank, once painted black and then lacquered, to sit inside my dark coloured Chrysler van, parked in the sun for a week or two. What's that 25 deg C for 5 hours a day, cycling cool overnight.. for let's say 10 - 12 days. 

EDIT.   It seems as if  " 2k "  is a misnomer with some manufacturers (such as HB BodyPro)  who are using the term despite being air-drying single pack paints. !

I've committed to £83 worth of paint bought via ebay from car-colours in Stockport. 

I've gone for ProXL extch primer,  then a couple of coats of (chemical hardening) two-pack satin black, and then topping off with two or three coats of two-pack ProXL 'petrol resistant' clear lacquer.  

With using two pack there's a limited amount of working time after the paint's activator is mixed in, and so not a lot of room for error should a bug land on it or else I get a run or paint reaction .. so I'm already anxious.! 

13 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Been offered a swap for the Scomadi: an (Indian) GP200 which supposedly has a fully rebuilt engine. 

I would think long and hard before doing this.

Do you like doing engine rebuilds at the side of the road miles from anywhere? Do you like chasing electrical issues?

Depends whether its fun, or you need reliability/

However I agree - chop the Fray Bentos and get something reliable (not a Bantam) but fun.