The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

700 squid for one of those is an absolute bargain, I'd definitely be interested if I didn't live so far away. SV 650s are a genuine allrounder, perfect for someone who wants a commuter, back lane scratcher and track bike without having to have three different bikes. Also raced at the TT in the highly entertaining Lightweight category. 

I think they look much better with the belly fairing too.

I always thought them to be a "bike for girls" but when offered one cheap, I purchases it to clean up and sell. 10 miles into my first ride I realised what a great bike it was.

Forgot that it also has crash bungs on it- they work well, as I found out when I forgot to put the side stand down properly. Been fully maintained by my mate who is a trained Suzuki/Honda/KTM/Ducati/Kawasaki technician, but whose labour rate in 25% of a main dealers per hour. And his workshop is a 25 mile back lane ride from me, which is a bonus! 

If it doesn't sell on here I'll stick it up on Ebay/Gumtree for a grand and bear the inconvenience of bloody idiots!

On 5/12/2019 at 9:11 PM, tommytwo said:

Looking for some advice from you experienced bike hands. My Honda 1986 125td  Super Dream seems to have stuck piston rings. Its smoking a lot. For now, I have filled the bores with diesel and will leave it to soak for a few days. This bike has stood unused for 3 years so I expected a few problems, and there have been more than I counted on so far. At the rate I am going, I may get it ready to ride by the end of this Summer.

Anything else I can try apart from diesel? Thanks.

Italian tune-up?

4 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Quite tempted. I’d really like to do my big bike test and this would be an ideal starter. 

Jack, I already have someone interested from here (AS never disappoints) 

I'd  would be a great bike once you pastsed your test BIT not ULEZ compliant at this age. The later injected "Pointy's" are very good, but the earlier carbed version (Curvey) are much nicer to ride in my experience at least.

I'd only end up trying to do a swap deal for an LML that I have no room for, so thank the Lord you don't have your licence

Further to my post about suspected stuck rings on my little Honda cb125, the problem is now solved and the bike runs well without smoke. The rings were stuck but a combination of diesel and ATF seemed to free things off. Slightly down on the right cylinder compression but once its MoT.d and in daily use, I expect that to sort itself out. The pilot jets were choked solid, took 3 days soaking in gun cleaner to get a thin piece of wire through the holes to clear the crap out. I expected to take 3 days to get this bike ready for an MoT.  Instead, it took me 5 weeks.

During last weekend I dug my 1967 Peugeot moped out of my garage, mainly to see if romantic ideas of me riding round the local lanes on it were feasible.  It had not moved since my son had a ride on it when he was about 15.  His 40th birthday is coming up in August.  Needless to say, the tyres needed pumping up but they held air ok once done.  Cobwebs were brushed off, we gave the moped a wash and I spent a couple of hours getting the chrome to look a bit less rusty.  My son rode it up the road and back with the engine disconnected. Brakes and the front suspension worked fine.  Next, I tried to climb aboard.  Despite considerable effort, I could only get my left foot on the pedal.  My legs simply would not part far enough to  get the other foot in place, thanks to arthritic hips and severely restricted joint articulation.  Romantic ideas were thus shelved.  I may fiddle with the engine to see if it will run after cleaning the fuel system. I suspect that it will need a replacement magneto backplate complete with coil, points and condenser.  Any suggestions as to where I could buy such parts will be welcome i.e. a current supplier, not just 'France' or 'Holland' ?. The one fitted is a bodge that I fitted in the 1980s. It was temperamental.  The bike could also do with respraying in the original pale metallic blue.

Note: I bought it in Roermond, the Netherlands, when we were based at RAF Wegberg near Rheindahlen in 1967.  I rode it home to RAF Nocton Hall in 1969 via Ostend and Dover on our return to the UK, registered it at Maidstone on entry (hence the H reg) and used it until 1982.  In 1971, I rode it from Nocton Hall to Scotland, calling at Braemar, Inverness and Portree, Isle of Skye before heading home.  That was some holiday!

A few photos from Sunday:-

100_2142.JPG

100_2144.JPG

100_2146.JPG

16 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

That's fantastic! Have you thought about joining the Buzzing Club? When I was a subscriber a few years ago they had registrars for all different manufacturers and knew where to go for spares for all sorts of old 'peds (I had a 1967 Batavus Batavette at the time). The club magazine alone was worth the membership fee.

Good suggestion, thanks.  Their spares man actually has 'Peugeot' mentioned.  I attend the VMCC Founders Day meet at Stanford Hall most years but mopeds have been thin on the ground for a while.  All things being well, I plan to go this year.  It's on 21st July.

8 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

That looks fantastic Ray, looks like you've taken good care of it. Superb.

The photos flatter it somewhat.  It has done many thousands of miles and is thus well worn.  It's on its second cylinder barrel, 2nd piston, 3rd cylinder head, 2nd back wheel, the filler cap is a replacement which I turned in the 1970s, the saddle is off a Raleigh moped, I made the exhaust and the rear light was also knocked up by me from some lumps of perspex.  It is a shame that I had no room to carry a camera on the long Scottish jaunt.  My friend who accompanied me on his Honda SS125 borrowed his dad's camera but lost it in the mountains near Braemar when we went exploring on foot.  Earlier, when still living in Germany, I took him on the back of the Peugeot - I fitted footrests and a makeshift seat on the carrier - from Rheindahlen to Nideggen in the Eiffel hills/mountains.  Uphill required pedal assistance but downhill we clocked 87kph (54mph) with the single speed engine screaming - unless it was him. Lots of memories!

Balls

The SV failed it's MOT as the front fork seal blew on the 5 mile ride to the MOT station. Also.gorgot bikes now need a number plate light and a rear reflector. Never been mentioned at previous MOT's (new rules?).

Can't get it sorted as got three other bikes I need to prepare for two track days in July.

Let this be a warning to others-you need to ride your bikes as often as you can to stop problems occurring-that's what I tell Mrs JW.

6 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Balls

The SV failed it's MOT as the front fork seal blew on the 5 mile ride to the MOT station. Also.forgot bikes now need a number plate light and a rear reflector. Never been mentioned at previous MOT's (new rules?)

FORKSEAL LOL - are the potholes bad round your way :D

they must have changed the rules as it used to be only rear reflector - you didnt even need a brake light ffs

and if theres no plate theres no need for the light (advisory for no plate cos they can mot it off the vin) - much like cars if its not there they cant test it :D

that conan is a bad man 

wanted to rent a bike for a coupla days - not very cheap (wasnt a big bike)

how about buy one??

then he started posting links to kaidee - cheap toyotas and a nice early eighties cedric (hnnng)

then he posted a 300d 123 merc - bassa

dont know what to do now :D

chipfat in thailand ftw :D

Passed the MOT, and rewarded me by blowing a hole in the downpipe on the way home. To be fair the whole exhaust (bar the end can) looked a bit rotten so I was banking on replacing it anyway.

You can get a new pattern downpipe for £60 in mild steel, or an entire system in stainless with a carbon end can for £100.....e1bcaf888a2de5f3cedfd1197f578d7b.jpg

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

The SV is now with its new owner, Tobyd ( a very pleasant chap indeed) who purchased it even with the MOT failure sheet

RC8 gone for a service, but what I thought was a poor connection on the non working fuel warning light, was not. All the connections and plugs are fine, so bit stumped at the moment. Looks like I have a night of Googling ahead of me

We went to two shops, a Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Peugeot and the second one was a Honda.

They had a Burgman 125, which was ludicrous. I knew the 650 was big, but the 125 had a mattress for a seat. Kim Kardashian would say the seat was too wide.

I wanted to show her the Tricity but they didn't have one. The Peugeot Django was fucking adorable, my friend saw the GSX-R125 and said that's what's she wants, not a sit on scooter. However the seat was 12 miles from the handlebars and we  headed to Honda.

We've been here before when they got the Monkey in. The MSX can fuck itself, I don't like it anymore. The Super Cub, is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Which leads to its biggest problem, it's far too expensive. They've done that price, because they know they'll sell a billion of em. 

Enter the CB125F, she loved it, she doesn't like the idea of a manual or L-plates. But I'm gonna try and get her to get one.

Honda have crazy finance, cheap monthly with a balloon at the end. 

What are the rules for sitting on bikes?  I think it's a cunty thing to do.

I still want a used Burgman 650, they had a used Fireblade for about £2k and it did nothing for me. 

I went to work today to get a fortnight off, so I can do bike test, but no fucker was there. I think me and my buddy are gonna try and get our CBT's in a few weeks.