Mundaneo Mk2 - MuthaClutcher

smellypoo

'Sup Shiters,

Introducing you to the father in law's Mundaneo 2.0 Zetec. Was quite a nice car new, now it's a bit minging. 

post-20255-0-06259400-1467494775_thumb.jpg

post-20255-0-98418900-1467494999_thumb.jpg

They didn't do base spec black bumpers for this shape Mondeo (at least not to my knowledge) - but someone has had a go at recreating the look. I'm not sure they knew about the base sierra of Autoshite legend, so I don't think it's a 'homage'.

I'd spoken about this on a previous post a while back, the bottom rad hose had split - been replaced now, and until today was running sweetly and driving gr9... but as is the law of sod, something else had to give way - some part of the clutch mechanism. Basically the pedal goes to the floor with little resistance (not quite no resistance, but it goes down easy (insert carry on joke here). Gearstick won't get into any gear as depressing the pedal didn't actually do anything. 

Despite looking like it does I have a hate for it to go to the scrapper. Any love for this thing on here? I'm contemplating parting it out (ebay the wheels and poss the engine and weigh the rest in) unless someone wants it whole. I could try and fix the clutch problem but stripping the thing is easier and I've a lot going on at the moment (unless someone can point to it being an easy fix not requiring the separation of the gearbox from the engine). 

Thoughts? Ideas? More pics can be posted, and a video of it running but you'd have to be a bit of a perv if you want to see them. 

Clutches are a twat on these. It was a similar failure that led to my old one going off on a Beavertail to live on the farm with all the other Mondeos and run around in the sun all day.

Perhaps it might be hydraulic at the master end rather than needing the box out though? 

My Dad had a saloon one of these may moons ago, a proper posh Ghia X in dark met green, full on heated leather and everything. I can't remember the last time I saw a saloon one..

The wheels on this one are original to the car, these were the car of choice for the discerning chav not too long ago - mostly for the wheels which would end up on many a pimped fleaesta or escrote.

Re: fault diagnosis - no visible leaks anywhere, had a look around the bleed pipe thingy and nothing. 

re: fix it - if I did, it'll probably be a bit of effort and I'd have to be invested in it, it'll need some fixing of the rust near where the sill meets the rear wheelarch (on both sides) which might involve weldage - I've not poked with a screwdriver yet and it looks crusty but not gone through - a good hard prodding will answer that...

post-20255-0-11675600-1467500578.jpg

Another* answer to that age-old question, when did cars become rubbish? When you stopped being able to see a bit of the road when you open the bonnet.

*and it is only one of many possible answers

Are you sure it's not got air in the clutch release bearing, on the top if you pull out the rubber cover where rye hydraulic pipe goes in there should be a bent tube held down with a union. Get someone to press the clutch whilst you check if it pisses fluid out. If it does you might be able to nip it up with a crows foot. Unlikely but I have seen this.

If the clutch is gone though I'd scrap it. This isn't a driveway job. Has it got any bungs in the boot floor still? I'll have them if so.

Your best bet is eBay, a banger racer might have it off your hands if the shell is reasonably good.

Are you sure it's not got air in the clutch release bearing, on the top if you pull out the rubber cover where rye hydraulic pipe goes in there should be a bent tube held down with a union. Get someone to press the clutch whilst you check if it pisses fluid out. If it does you might be able to nip it up with a crows foot. Unlikely but I have seen this.

If the clutch is gone though I'd scrap it. This isn't a driveway job. Has it got any bungs in the boot floor still? I'll have them if so.

Your best bet is eBay, a banger racer might have it off your hands if the shell is reasonably good.

I did have a peek in there (with help from my mobile as a torch) and it wasn't losing any fluid that I could see. 

re: bungs - I have a couple of rubbish pics of the boot area - if you can spot them or describe them (I think any would be under the spare wheel or further back on the boot floor), I'll whip them out for you and stick them in a jiffy bag for you next time I'm over there (probably next weekend).

re: ebay - looks like that'll be the next step. seems a shame as the engine and some ancilliaries would be useful for a locost/robin hood type build but iI'd be waiting for someone who wanted it. Still, if it ends up with a racer it'll go out in a blaze of glory! 

post-20255-0-25135100-1467551866_thumb.jpg

post-20255-0-31878000-1467551867_thumb.jpg

post-20255-0-33764200-1467551868_thumb.jpg