Cavalier mk2 - another blue giffermobile.

4wheeledstool

I'm looking forward to this. My dad took delivery of a 1.8 GLi hatch in the summer of 1988. Compared to the 1.8 carb'd Sierra it replaced, and the Mk3 1.8 carb Cavalier auto that replaced it two years later, it was a flippin' rocket. I enjoyed the very same engine and 'box myself in a (very) brown Belmont GLSi about ten years ago.

Sills, arches, lower rear quarters, full front and rear panels are all easily found.

Inner arches, floor pans, and outer rear chassis legs are nigh on impossible to find but can usually be made out of sheet steel.

I've got some bits extra for a mk2 if you're short of anything although I have cleared a lot of spares out.

Awesome! What's the plan here then? Bare metal and another concours resto...

Can't wait to see more on this one.

Not entirely sure how far I'm gonna go with it. The rear arches, sills and rear valance will all be sorted at some point. When that's done, paint based love will most likely happen.

Was anything at all carried over?

I have noticed a few odds and sods that are the same as the mk1, but there's not a lot!

I hope cavalier arch panels are easier to get hold of than SD1 arch panels.

There seems to be plenty to go at on eGay.

Looks a good'un.

Re; your wheel arches. I've had rear arch repair panels of these guys in the last 18 months or so. No problems getting hold of them then. http://www.carz2.co.uk/

I had a look on their site last night - they do full outer sills too! I've not managed to find a rear valance, or rear corners though - if anyone can help with the sourcing of these parts I'd be incredibly grateful.

Sills, arches, lower rear quarters, full front and rear panels are all easily found.

Inner arches, floor pans, and outer rear chassis legs are nigh on impossible to find but can usually be made out of sheet steel.

I've got some bits extra for a mk2 if you're short of anything although I have cleared a lot of spares out.

Thank you kindly! I may well be in touch at some point.:)

An old hippy I used to know owned a Mk2 estate in that flat almost-slate blue they came in.  In fact, it was very nearly the Varicose Vein of Cobbler's granny's old Fiesta.  Anyway, it was fucked and that was easily 15 years ago so to see this one having survived is quite remarkable.  Same hippy had an ancient Bedford CF camper that one night mysteriously caught fire and burned to the ground outside his house, all by itself.

You do now need a blue Mk3 to complete the set and when you do that, hit me up because I've got a set of Mk3 wheel trims that are brand new and have never been fitted to anything that you can have.

The lower 1/4's and rear valance are available from carz2. Not usually on website but if you phone and ask they will order them in no probs. Good quality aftermarket panels.

If you want original GM parts this site in Holland is very good

http://copeparts.nl/en/shop/ascona-c-en/sub,3/gid,11

Outer sills are same for both hatch and saloon but all other panels - arches, lower 1/4's, rear valance,even doors are specific to hatch or saloon so make sure to check before ordering.

I've done loads of work on mk2's and still have a hatch so if you have any questions feel free.

nice purchase - i friend of mine recently sold his Mk2 and his left with a mountain of spares hes collected over many years. Some new/some used.

I dont know everything that he has but i know he'd prefer it gone in one go.

From memory he has front and rear panels, one front wing, a mint boot lid (but saloon not hatch) complete strut assemblies and new headlights/rear lights/service bits etc.

I have an estate car and it would fill that easily. If interested let me know, all items located in Leeds (but I can help with delivery as I do a lot of travelling)

look forward to how this progresses.

~

I'm sure you can change the clutch without removing the 'box.

You could that's right. Could on the early mk3 8 valves as well before the Ecotec

Yep, these are the 'letterbox' clutches iirc. They're also 'safe' engines in 1.8 format from memory, not recommending you test that though just in case!