doobietoo Posted November 21, 2015 Posted November 21, 2015 I wish I had kept the cars I owned when my daughter came along...... if you can, store it or you will regret it and probably feel resentful. In a couple of years finances will be better and he or she will enjoy being out in it. HillmanImp 1
Asimo Posted November 21, 2015 Posted November 21, 2015 You been missed.... nice bit of weldage on that sill. GT6 is tiny, one of the few cars that I just cannot get into, would have had one otherwise.....how's the Visa? HillmanImp 1
HillmanImp Posted November 23, 2015 Author Posted November 23, 2015 TBH, I don't really have the room to keep it at the new house. I can keep one in the garage (the GT6 was in there but is now banished to the driveway as the garage is full of shit from the house but thats temporary) and 2 of mine on the drive plus Mrs Imps car. So there wil be room for my daily - The Jag, the Imp and the Visa. Basically, I realise that its been 5 years since I even looked at doing any work on the Imp and the GT6 needs more work than the Visa. The Jag is probably not permanent as its a bit of a throwaway vehicle but I will allways have something in its parking space. There is still a fair bit of work to do on the GT6. Mainly cosmetic but the main issue is the mess round the windscreen. I might tackle that early next year depending on my mood but would probably be better off selling it TBH and devoting my time to the Imp. The paint on the car is borked in places too due to me not using a breathable cover on it a few years ago but with all the little bots of cosmetic work that needs doing you would be wanting to respray it anyhow. It runs nicely though. Its just more work than I can be bothered with for the time being. The Visa is currently off the road but will be going back on shortly when I get a bit of time/money to get the new wheel bearing fitted (if its the correct one, it really took some finding - parts on the Visa are a pain). I was going to sell it earlier in the year but I needed it one day for a medical emergency and promised myself that I wouldn't sell it if it got me there okay which of course it did as its a little belter. Its currently stored in Keighley but will be moveing to mine soon as the house its kept at is up for sale. Coprolalia 1
Taff Posted November 23, 2015 Posted November 23, 2015 it doesn't help but I agree with others mate, if there is any way you can hang onto it... Got a relative you can dump it on for a while? It sounds like space rather than cash is the factor, so if it can be parked up away from your gaff for a couple of years? HillmanImp 1
John F Posted November 23, 2015 Posted November 23, 2015 +1 to the "keep if possible" lobby - it's unlikely you'll ever find another one for a decent price. HillmanImp 1
MikeKnight Posted November 23, 2015 Posted November 23, 2015 These will only go up in price. Rapidly. Hang onto it. My very early (pre-5000 commission plate) and very tidy Mk1 GT6 is going up for sale soon at £12,000. That's a come buy me price, some Mk1's are going for £14k+. HillmanImp 1
HillmanImp Posted November 24, 2015 Author Posted November 24, 2015 Hmm, I might see if I could swing it but think that I may have trouble convincing er indoors who manages the purse strings at the moment. I might show her this thread and see if she fancies seeing if we can make some proper dosh on it.
HillmanImp Posted November 24, 2015 Author Posted November 24, 2015 TBH at my current rate of progress I will not have even got it to the test centre until 2020 anyway.
Taff Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 TBH at my current rate of progress I will not have even got it to the test centre until 2020 anyway. It won't cost you a penny to have it sat idle in a garage. And it's value may well actually rise. Good luck arguing those points with the spouse!!
Tickman Posted November 24, 2015 Posted November 24, 2015 I have only ever seen one of these on the road and I couldn't believe how small it actually was.Is this down south (not in Scotland) somewhere, I would have room to store it if wanted. John
HillmanImp Posted November 25, 2015 Author Posted November 25, 2015 It won't cost you a penny to have it sat idle in a garage. And it's value may well actually rise. Good luck arguing those points with the spouse!! TBH, I do have a lock up. I might put it in there and move the Imp over here depending on how my finances are with wifey being off work but am not sure how well that would go down with a credit card to pay off. I have only ever seen one of these on the road and I couldn't believe how small it actually was.Is this down south (not in Scotland) somewhere, I would have room to store it if wanted. John It is Bradford so miles away. Ta though.
DeeJay Posted November 25, 2015 Posted November 25, 2015 TBH at my current rate of progress I will not have even got it to the test centre until 2020 anyway.Just think how much it'll be worth then.
HillmanImp Posted March 6, 2016 Author Posted March 6, 2016 No update on this but I just did a random check on the red GT6 at the beginning of this thread and its back on the road although its been painted white and has done 80k miles less than when I last saw it. Skizzer and mouseflakes 2
rrsix Posted March 6, 2016 Posted March 6, 2016 Just read the whole thread and I heart this car big time. Having watched your link and shut my eyes at the end I did the classic u-toob link hop and came to this, same as the previous colour maybe? rainagain, Dick Cheeseburger and HillmanImp 3
Dick Cheeseburger Posted March 6, 2016 Posted March 6, 2016 Just read the whole thread and I heart this car big time. Having watched your link and shut my eyes at the end I did the classic u-toob link hop and came to this, same as the previous colour maybe? Damn, that sounds good.
HillmanImp Posted April 1, 2018 Author Posted April 1, 2018 Righto, another thread resurrection from me. Anyone that knows me will now that I change my mind more often than my underwear and this is another of those times. Having finally moved the Imp over here...... ......I've had a look at it and decided to press on with the GT6 this summer instead as the GT6 is a quick win in comparison. Most of the hard work is done and it's just shizzle that needs doing. So this weekend I decided to drag it out of the garage. I tried this last year too but by the time I had removed all the rubbish around it, it was time to put it all back again so it has languished there for another year as something to put shit on: I decided, that with the amount of work to do on the Imp the best idea was to put the Imp in the garage and drag the GT6 out so I could work on it. Now, the battery for the GT6 was last used to start the MR2 but has gone AWOL like JCVD, the Visa is running down its battery due to an undiagnosed electrical fault (it will jump but I didn't bother) and the Imp, well it ain't going nowhere under its own steam for a bit so this was all going to be a manual swap around. I pushed the Imp and the Visa back a bit and after removing the shit on and around the GT6, It stuck it's nose out of the garage for the first time in a couple of years. Brakes were a bit stiff and the tyres were a bit flat so it was a bit of effort to move it. I couldn't pump them as the footpump I bought a couple of weeks ago had broken already but it was moving with some dedication, oooh dedication. I started to push it further forward but it wasn't moving. Had a look under one of the wheels and it had a MTB headset under it stopping it proceeding so removed it and tried pushing it again. Still stiff but with a large shove it lurched forward.....and didn't stop and trundled down the driveway..... into the Visa Thankfully, there was no damage other than a bit of whitening of the Visas bumper from another bump, but that's what they are there for isn't it. So started to swap them all around. Thankfully the neighbours were out so I borrowed their driveway for a bit but couldn't get the angle to get the car in the garage with the bench on the left so had to move that out too. Whilst doing that I took an arty shot. and after that all the cars were in the correct place. It feels a bit depressing to get put the Imp in the garage behind a load of rubbish as its kind of admitting that it's going to stay there for a while but if I follow my head, it makes sense. Imp Jr had never seen the GT6 out of the garage so came out to have a look. He brought his took kit so that he could help rip bit off it. but it wasn't long before he was demanding that I open the bonnet of the Visa so that he could poke around in that. He likes the GT6 but he loves the Visa. I imagine he won't be as keen on the GT6 when I start it next weekend (hopefully) as it makes a bit of noise. First job is to rebuild the carbs. It's running okay, I got a semi-retired chap from round the corner to balance them last time I drove it but they need a proper rebuild. I've just paid off my 0% purchases credit card so have shitloads of 'money' to 'buy' stuff with. They are twin SUs IIRC, is there any recommendations where to get them from? Is there anything I need to check before buying to ensure I have the right kit as these may not be the originals or are the only SU carbs that fit on a GT6, GT6 carbs? Datsuncog, Coprolalia, johngarty and 9 others 12
HillmanImp Posted April 1, 2018 Author Posted April 1, 2018 the carbs on the mk3 were strombergs ,originally Just been out to check and the look like SUs as they look like big titties compared to the pancakes on the Strombergs.
Isaac Hunt Posted April 1, 2018 Posted April 1, 2018 SU's were a popular conversion from the day. Strombergs were the staple diet of Triumph until around about 73. The Dolomite Sprint was only ever fitted with SU's and about 76'ish the 1850 followed suit and switched from Stromberg to SU. The 2500 in PI from became the 2500S and dropped the fuel injection to twin SU's and a 2500 twin SU conversion became a popular Vitesse and GT6 mod. It is a great Car you have there. If it was a darker blue at one stage, it could have been Triumph Sapphire Blue which was and is an exquisite colour. Quite rare on any Triumph Model. Current shad looks to be Triumph French Blue which was a popular shade of th era. Colour is a funny thing and a lot of personal preference goes into it of course. I prefer Sapphire to French, but that is just me. SU carbs are simplicity. A couple of new jets and some needle valves from Burlen would have them as good as new. GLWTR Vince70 and HillmanImp 2
gigglepin Posted April 1, 2018 Posted April 1, 2018 the Su was/is a common replacement ..some people think they are more tunable than the stromberg....never stopped me getting 120mph out of mine on strommies though...they quite often would use dolly dashpot tops //so as not to foul the bonnet Isaac Hunt 1
HillmanImp Posted April 1, 2018 Author Posted April 1, 2018 I have a tin of French Blue in the garage that I got with the car. I like it but think I prefer the darker blue for the same reason as you. However some internet detective work suggests the car was once white which agrees with the floor inside. Any ideas where to look to ensure I get the right rebuild kit? Looking on here it's a minefield. http://sucarb.co.uk/carburettor-kits/rebuild-kits/standard-rebuild-kits.html on here it looks simple but I don;t trust it because of the last link. http://www.su-carbs.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/turner?opendocument&part=2 Six-cylinder 1
gigglepin Posted April 1, 2018 Posted April 1, 2018 if you can get hold of andrew turner at andrew turner carbs he'll set you right HillmanImp 1
Dick Cheeseburger Posted April 1, 2018 Posted April 1, 2018 I have a tin of French Blue in the garage that I got with the car. I like it but think I prefer the darker blue for the same reason as you. However some internet detective work suggests the car was once white which agrees with the floor inside. Any ideas where to look to ensure I get the right rebuild kit? Looking on here it's a minefield. http://sucarb.co.uk/carburettor-kits/rebuild-kits/standard-rebuild-kits.html on here it looks simple but I don;t trust it because of the last link. http://www.su-carbs.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/turner?opendocument&part=2God, GT6’s just look so ‘right’. Great to see you’re back on this one. As for colour choice, white will look fantastic.Doo eeet. Sudsprint and HillmanImp 2
gigglepin Posted April 2, 2018 Posted April 2, 2018 as for the investment bit...to appease your missus...i bought my daughter a mk2 ...8 years ago for her 21st birthday paid 5k for it then .it's now 14-16ki had my mk3 for 18 years ..sold it a year ago had some awesome drives in it.i can highly recommend driving it to monaco HillmanImp 1
Six-cylinder Posted April 2, 2018 Posted April 2, 2018 It is great to see the GT6 with the Visa, makes me feel I am not the only who likes the strange combination of old British and unloved French cars! mat_the_cat and HillmanImp 2
Six-cylinder Posted April 2, 2018 Posted April 2, 2018 One of my aims this year is to get my Spitfire mk3 6 cyl running. I have a cunning plan to do this, I am going to lock a group of Autoshiters in my field and not let them out until they have fixed it! HillmanImp 1
purplebargeken Posted April 2, 2018 Posted April 2, 2018 GT6 is a lovely car, I had a couple. They were both utter sheds and were soon passed on. French Blue suits it. Try these: http://www.southerncarbs.co.uk/ HillmanImp 1
Six-cylinder Posted April 2, 2018 Posted April 2, 2018 The only GT6 I have owned was a Mk1, sadly always only a spares car as it had been though a shop window! Edit - I am back at home now and have added a photo which makes yours look fantastic. HillmanImp and Sudsprint 2
captain_70s Posted April 2, 2018 Posted April 2, 2018 SUs usually have a little plastic tab on them telling you exactly what type they are, at least my Doloshites did. I just can't remember where it was, near the float bowl I think? HillmanImp 1
vulgalour Posted April 2, 2018 Posted April 2, 2018 This age I'd expect an aluminium tab, which always corrodes and/or fatigue cracks right where it's attached to the dashpot boobie screw. I do wish they'd just stamp the casings or fit a more substantial tag. HillmanImp 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now