RoverFolkUs "Fleet" Thread - MK2 Focus Content .... Focus #2 MOT Pass...

RoverFolkUs

8 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I’ve not done the belt today, you need the proper laser kit on the double pulley. The facelifts seem to be lot better with the rust, but then again it’s 17 years old so...

Yes they are getting on a bit now, it feels odd saying that as I still think of them as new cars! I'd agree the MK2.5 do have their benefits over the MK2, a lot more revamped and modern styling (if that's a good thing)

I'm sure I've got the laser tool somewhere that I bought from the car boot sale, better search high and low for it!

• 3 weeks later...

Focus #2 must be realizing its MOT is coming up soon as its decided to spit its dummy out. A passenger alerted be to a very faint clattering noise from the O/S/R brake. I hadn't previously noticed it (with the radio up ;) ) but I do hear it now. 

I had the same noise, albeit much louder, on Focus #1 when I bought it, it just needed the shoes stripping down and any built up crap scraped off and everything greased up. Focus #2 was making a similar noise from the N/S/R when I first got it, but it went away by itself after being used for a bit. 

I'd best sort that as I expect its going to fail on efficiency or fluctuation otherwise 

Oh well, hopefully parts wont be needed as I've had enough of the expenditure! :)

• RoverFolkUs changed the title to RoverFolkUs "Fleet" Thread - MK2 Focus Content .... MG/Rover Ramblings likely. General motor trade nonsense also likely... Focus #2 MOT Upcoming...
8 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Focus #2 must be realizing its MOT is coming up soon as its decided to spit its dummy out. A passenger alerted be to a very faint clattering noise from the O/S/R brake. I hadn't previously noticed it (with the radio up ;) ) but I do hear it now. 

I had the same noise, albeit much louder, on Focus #1 when I bought it, it just needed the shoes stripping down and any built up crap scraped off and everything greased up. Focus #2 was making a similar noise from the N/S/R when I first got it, but it went away by itself after being used for a bit. 

I'd best sort that as I expect its going to fail on efficiency or fluctuation otherwise 

Oh well, hopefully parts wont be needed as I've had enough of the expenditure! :)

£14 a set for Comline Pads, they’re alright as well, fitted loads. 

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

The fitting kit for drums are always surprisingly expensive, people will go ‘£20 for some springs and clips!!!’. 

Well Euros are listing both complete kits with cylinders for £110! Fuck that lol, I'll scour eBay if I end up needing the lot :)

Paid a little bit of attention to Focus #1 today, it's been sat there for nearly a year now apart from its MOT at the start of this year. 

Annoyingly the front washers have started playing up again, I'm not sure if it's the motor or blocked pipes but I'll get it all apart at some point and see what's what. I was going to put a new motor on it a while back but then it sorted itself out, which makes me think it's a blockage somewhere more than anything. 

The left hand rear indicator has gone phut for good now, just before it came off the road it was playing up and only working as it pleased but it's totally dead now. Swapped the holder over from the other side and it started working fine so at least the wiring is ok. Discovered the holder is naffed as I was measuring approx 600 ohms resistance on the live pin. Cant see any corrosion but if I fiddle about with the terminals it started fluctuating to 30-100 ohms. New one ordered, £30, ouch! 

Noticed the spark plug wells were full of water, so I better seal up the washer jets before that causes too much bother. The HT leads seem stuck on the plugs, so I'm not expecting it to look pretty under there. I'll have a new set of plugs and coil + leads on hand before taking it apart any further! Still got to service it and do the stat, but don't see much point in doing that while I'm not actually using the car... 

Hadn't touched it for 8 weeks and it fired up straight away, so at least the battery is decent 

• RoverFolkUs changed the title to RoverFolkUs "Fleet" Thread - MK2 Focus Content .... Focus #2 MOT Upcoming...
  • 3 weeks later...

MOT booked for next week... Should be ok 🤔 but you never quite know! 

Only things I can think of is the rear brakes that need a bit of a service, and the steering rack is a bit of a concern, it's likes to clunk every so often. It can be felt but can't decide if it's bad enough to be an MOT fail for excessive roughness. Should be alright but I'll leave the ball in the tester's court!

Time to get the F5 button ready...

• 2 weeks later...

As alluded to in the news 24 thread, the Focus received a red stamp of shame FAIL on its certificate this morning!

Fortunately it was just a couple of random ball joint gaiters. 

One new drop link, and I decided to replace just the boot on the lower ball joint. It was a new arm last year! 

MVIMG_20220623_102107.thumb.jpg.f5d40c632952f7f5f698a4e762134f34.jpg

Living proof that modern rubber parts are utter crap.

Anyway, £15 later and we are now rewarded with a nice green PASS stamp :) - as a bonus, no advisories either!

With a years test I might as well stick it up for sale and cash in on the mad prices. Don't need three cars now and never did, the third (Picasso) was an impulse buy but it's staying! It's too useful and owes me tuppence 

• RoverFolkUs changed the title to RoverFolkUs "Fleet" Thread - MK2 Focus Content .... Focus #2 MOT Pass...

Decided to finally tax and insure Focus #1 today after a year of slumber! 

I had completely forgotten about how different the GHIA is to the LX. More comfortable, (VELOURRRRRR! :))

Strangely more refined (assume better carpets/sound deadening?) Feels a lot smoother over the bumps, less crashy. Supposedly the sport trim level upwards got a sport suspension. No idea what the difference is as the parts are all the same 🤷‍♂️

The irritating rattle I was plagued with is confirmed gone having tightened the clutch pedal upper mount bracket earlier in the year which was loose. 

Just needs an upper engine mount as there's quite a bit of vibration through the cabin at idle. Also the front windows are loose in the runners, need to investigate further 

The clutch is noticeably higher, kept giving it revs too early, got to get used to that again! It's not slipping, though not sure how much life it's got left in it. It's already on its second one and only done approx 100k miles! 

The thermostat behaved better than I remembered it, it sits at approx 75°C now instead of permanently resting at 60

• 11 months later...

I've not updated this thread in an age, but as per the grumpy thread the Focus met a very nasty undeserved ending this morning. 

Sucked up flood water and it's hydrolocked, bending at least 2 rods. 🥲

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Jesus fucking christ

I've done a good job of it and bent at least 2 conrods 🤣🤣

IMG_20230620_150641.thumb.jpg.de0cf2dd617ec1847ebd0a823c7b2d28.jpg

IMG_20230620_150649.thumb.jpg.e4725d62eb1cf4c4159d028faa93affd.jpg

For those of you who don't know what you're looking at, cylinder 1 + 4 should be equal and cylinder 2+3 should be equal. 

Look at the tape line on the stick and look at the difference between 1+4 and 2+3 🤣

IMG_20230620_151338.thumb.jpg.cac2ad6c3b95e4da2c98b2f0f6888ba8.jpg

IMG_20230620_151345.thumb.jpg.7447472ab991996edb5741a258bf015c.jpg