collection mission to SPAIN!!!! COMPLETED IT M8

Mr_Bo11ox

3 hours ago, egg said:

YBA = Young British Artists. 

I found fancy plates to be pretty good.

YBA = YOU’RE BASTARDS, ALL

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cheezey said:

Where in Scotland was this? Before my time, my  grandfather sold these new. I think the last Simca my Dad had he punted through the auction as it was rattling. 

I don’t know where @colino was but I live in Aberdeen and commute into Aberdeenshire daily. I run winter tyres for approx 5 months a year because it’s almost always below 7 degrees during rush hour, if it’s below 7 degrees at 0830 then it might have been around zero (or below) overnight so the roads get salted frequently. Those temperatures also make it very uncomfortable to be outside  getting wet whilst washing the salt off the car.

This photo was me cleaning the snow off my windscreen in March last year.

IMG_4669.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Hey LightBulbFun…. What’s the deal with imports having no model designation listed on the V5 in recent years?

When I registered my Defender (ex mod) it just came back as ‘Land Rover Unknown’ despite my official paperwork showing it as a Land Rover Defender 130. This was back in ~2017 and still seems to be the case with the DVLA

thats simply down to the way the DVLA computer system works, a lot of vehicle data is stored in coded form, and then decoded by way of a lookup table, that way you save a lot of data since you dont have to store "Land Rover" 6 million times you only have to store the 2 digit make code for Land Rover (B1, IIRC) instead, this then goes through a lookup table when the data is requested by a human, Janet wants to print off a V5 so B1 is queried against the look up table and it corresponds to "Land Rover" so thats what gets printed on the V5 or displayed on the various online tools (and often times some of the more advanced tools work with raw codes directly and have their own lookup table, the DVSA's MOT checker is a key example of that and is why say some Austin Maxi's show up as Rover on the MOT checker)

now while you can have a manually entered entry for the make field, they allow this because they did realise there would be obscure makes out there that they might not have codes for say "Horsey Horseless" you cannot  however under any circumstance have a manually entered *model* string, model is only stored in coded form and can only be added if there is a pre-existing Make code above it as well, this is why for more obscure vehicles everything ends up on the make field "Horsey Horseless Extra Horse GLX" since the make field is the only field the DVLA clerk can enter truly custom information 

but if there is a case where the make  of your vehicle does exist in coded form, but the model your registering does not exist in coded form for example if your importing a Fiat Panda 30, Fiat very much existed over here so there is a code for it, but the Panda 30 did not, so there is no code for it under the Panda top heading, thus the model is dropped and the vehicle is registered without any model information, as just a Fiat, since the DVLA's preference is to at least give the vehicle a suitable make code if they have one, rather then just register it without any codes at all (again keep in mind model info can only be added if there is a code for the make and then a code for the model under that make the DVLA cannot have a coded make and then enter a custom model, its either custom make all the way with no codes at all, or coded make and no model info)

for example your Defender 130, there are many defender 130 models coded into the DVLA, but critically there is no generic "Defender 130" model one without any trim on the end, so if you did just put "Defender 130" on the V55 form then the DVLA clerk would of tried to find "Defender 130" drawn a blank and thus had to drop it so to speak, hence why it ended up registered as just a Land rover, no model info

image.png.b018ee7ceb8f6ea5d51a8c5a4a2e1152.png

I hope this makes sense! :) (this method of storing every vehicle record as a string of 2 and 3 digit codes is why BTW you never seen any typos in say the vehicle colour, you never see a vehicle come up as "Mellow" instead of Yellow for example, since there are only so many colour codes which are just selected from a menu and again decoded through a lookup table)

another example of the lookup table is how diesel vehicles show up as "diesel" online but "heavy oil" on the V5, its the same code, just slightly different lookup/decoding tables depending on the service

20 hours ago, loserone said:

Ah, soon you too can have random strangers approach to tell you THOSE NUMBER PLATES ARE ILLEGAL YOU KNOW

*Gallic Shrug*

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

They are all classified as 'show plates' by sellers on Ebay and 'not* for road use'.

I had a pre-2001 style set made for my old 2000 Audi 80 Cab (RIP Fancy plates.co.uk)  and had not one jot of bother in the 3 years I owned it.

Bought a set from here https://www.ukmetalplates.com/

They do state they are legal but they would, wouldn't they? I'm happy with ours...

3 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

Bought a set from here https://www.ukmetalplates.com/

They do state they are legal but they would, wouldn't they? I'm happy with ours...

They may also be more sustainable - in that they are not made from a petro-chemical derived material and they last longer.

It would be possible to work out the carbon footprint of all the cracked and discolored plastic plates that need replacing each year.

They'd be a good idea for anything that goes off-road occasionally too.

If the font is legal and there is a BS mark and makers postcode they're legal.

I had some pressed plates on my S3 and they had the BS stuff in tiny letters in a kinda light silver font which barely showed but I presume that makes them legal if BS whatever doesn't specify a minimum size etc for the legal bits

2 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

If the font is legal and there is a BS mark and makers postcode they're legal.

I had some pressed plates on my S3 and they had the BS stuff in tiny letters in a kinda light silver font which barely showed but I presume that makes them legal if BS whatever doesn't specify a minimum size etc for the legal bits

Yeah - they're in silver on these - barely visible. (The ones on my Ser 2a were very dented but never got  a mention at MoT)
image.png.38f6dd07e287de84fddd6c83b20d2f93.png

‘YBA’ all you like

I’m looking forward to the handbrake turn video entitled ‘360s’

• Haha 2

I think there’s something about having to have the BS mark on new plates, but if the plates were original and from the era they wouldn’t have a BS mark, so the police/MoT tester would struggle to prove that they weren’t original fitment plates in order to prosecute. I’ve run some so called show plates on the Saab for years as at the time it was the only place I could find which would do the right letter sizing. 

On 07/06/2024 at 14:33, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Yeah I defo put Talbot as the manufacturer on the V55. I think I put Simca 1100LX as the model. Or might have been just Talbot 1100LX.

For the reg plates I found a guy on Facebook doing pressed ally plates with the older wider font for £40 a pair delivered so I'm gonna get a pair of them. 

received_1198688064506408.jpeg

I’d be very interested in a link/name for this please as I’m very keen to get some correct sized letter metal pressed plates for the 2CV.

Check this out as seen on a mid seventies Mini Clubman recently;

IMG_4741.jpeg.33943507881acb12e0fe4bd884b7e04e.jpeg

IMG_4744.jpeg.01c5f9fcdca65205acf9bd1de2de3929.jpeg

Perfect. Close up:

IMG_4814.png.163c0abc9c6e7c5b7a38cf516620e6eb.png

yeah, good luck reproducing that detail. 

On 07/06/2024 at 15:29, Mr_Bo11ox said:

As far as these plates go, I suspect making/selling/buying them probably is a bit illegal, but I struggle to see the illegality in using them

This.
Ive got Hills font plates on both my wifes 2018 car and my 2007 car (clearly neither were fitted new) but apart from jobsworths on the tinternet no one seems to give a monkeys chuff about them as they can be clearly read. Ive had the plates now for about 12 years or so and they just get transferred from vehicle to vehicle.

63bed9a84b75d9c6c71b1c0cfa776ec8.jpg

• Like 2

The four of us who met at Arundel for coffes today were talking about importing from Europe and discussing some of the many feats on the forum over the years, and the next collection caper to Spain should be a pre-Nissan era Ebro or a Pegaso lorry.

• Like 3

No reason at all, money and time permitting there’s plenty of chod I would pick over abroad and bring back. I’d happily look round Nigeria to try and find my dad’s old 505 break familial and import it back if I had the moolah.

• Like 2

Looks right at home there. Have you had a shot at spraying up the primered bits? 

Nah not yet. Takes me months to do stuff!!! At the moment I'm trying to sort out one of the front wings off the 929, but it's taking forever

20240611_213709.jpg

Can we have some interior pics please? 

48 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

This is my living room. 

PXL_20240614_202224481.jpg.a5922eb594580f38538dc4e6403ccfed.jpg

This is my office/games room. 

PXL_20240614_202211045_MP.jpg.4c375c612de36185e68fcfd3618e6603.jpg

Let me know if you'd like to see any more. 

1 hour ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

These were all taken inside the Swedish parliamentary building in Stockholm.

IMG_6891.jpeg.a9472b07a5992dcd8eae1b8018950ae3.jpeg

IMG_6890.jpeg.5d6d782c57389cb0eac455cdd8e82622.jpeg

IMG_6884.jpeg.c613d7c3608629447fd4c4ad7bc576ba.jpeg

IMG_6875.jpeg.c2ce1480fbee604d147653d3282e9c62.jpeg

Parts of it used to be owned by the Swedish national bank.

Here's my kitchen. It's an Ikea job, fitted by me last year. Easily my greatest DIY triumph and enough to put me off 'home improvements' for the rest of my friggin life  (including fitting the architrave thing round the door)

20240614_221958.jpg

17184001373841900048981417907353.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

Here's my kitchen. It's an Ikea job, fitted by me last year. Easily my greatest DIY triumph and enough to put me off 'home improvements' for the rest of my friggin life  (including fitting the architrave thing round the door)

20240614_221958.jpg

17184001373841900048981417907353.jpg

Yo @tooSavvy Would you like one of the French numberplates off this to decorate your shed/garage/model building area? PM me an address if so and I'll chuck one in the post.