A car that no one here has owned or driven?

sdkrc

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

@wuvvum - that Commer van is amazing, does it still exist anywhere? ❤️ 

No idea.  I sold it about 16 years ago.  Put it on eBay, chap from Cornwall won it, came up on the train, got in to Norwich at 12:45am, got to the garage at 1am and had to then fire up the ancient Perkins 4.236 from cold and do a 17-point turn to get the van out of the drive, much to the delight of all the neighbours.  He got in and drove off, no T&T on the van by then and a top speed of 45mph.  I assume it must have made it because it resurfaced in Cornwall a couple of years later, but I've not seen any sign of it since.

Vauxhall Albany? I bet nobody has owned one but I have a feeling @NorfolkNWeighsaid he'd driven one back in the day.

Or the Sintra? Anyone have any experience of them?

• Like 1

I’ve seen Peugeot 204s mentioned but no actual proof of driving/owning one on the 5 years I’ve been here.

1 minute ago, dozeydustman said:

I’ve seen Peugeot 204s mentioned but no actual proof of driving/owning one on the 5 years I’ve been here.

Then of course I discover Nigel Bickle has/had one.

41 minutes ago, RobT said:

Hardly affordable these days, but NSU Ro80 anyone?  Preferably with a rotary engine.

Or a VW K70.

I had a K70 for a while, a 1.8 LS. Only ever drove it once though. It had one day of MOT left on it, and when I began to dig into the questionable repairs... no hope of getting another! It's still around, eventually sold it to a friend of mine and it's currently awaiting restoration.

K70.thumb.jpg.3c245c0eb10a332de434ebf6ca13e3a1.jpg

And when my mate finally took the damn thing away....

20190524_203028.thumb.jpg.81af86dcf08002489146f90824caaa56.jpg

Horsey Horseless, D701SWL, blah blah. 

Mazda 323. My reasoning being, there are that many body styles that probably some aren't accounted for! 

Has anyone had a Volga?

16 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Vauxhall Albany? I bet nobody has owned one but I have a feeling @NorfolkNWeighsaid he'd driven one back in the day.

Sintra may be a winner here. It's utterly shit, cheap and obscure. 

The Albany is just a rebadged Japanese something so I expect someone here has owned one

1977 Peugeot 304 van?  Morris version of the Austin A55/60 van?  100/107E Ford Prefect?  Standard Atlas?

I did get to drive the 304, the others are too far back in my childhood but I definitely rode in every one of them.

• Like 1

Re forgettable nineties and noughties Fiats, I rented a Marea estate once and it was rather good. Only just remembered that now it's come up! 

Vauxhall Albany was a tarted up Midi, wasn't it? Never driven an Albany, but I've done mega miles in Midis.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

Simca 1000 or 1100? I did borrow an 1100 van to pic up a sideboard from the Isle of Wight

I owned an 1100 for 2-3 months while at uni. Bought at Hobbs & Parker in Ashford for £100, flogged to another student for 300. The colour was I believe ‘Sweetcorn’, a dark yellow. Sadly no photos.

56 minutes ago, RobT said:

Hardly affordable these days, but NSU Ro80 anyone?  Preferably with a rotary engine.

Or a VW K70.

I had an Ro80 for a bit, 8 years old / £350 . Proper rotor-motor.

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

Mazda 121

mazda-121-10.thumb.jpg.85092f856f4edda2d47dfd294d1ddef2.jpg

I've a suspicion at least one of our Australian correspondants has owned one in recent years.

I had one, although it didn't have the canvas sunroof sadly.

IMG_20170511_204741.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

2 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Then of course I discover Nigel Bickle has/had one.

BNP204M, as owned from new by my mate Bron's dad.  

2 hours ago, quicksilver said:

What a memory! Only elephants and MrsN recalling anything I’ve ever done wrong could beat that.
Yes I’ve had the pleasure of driving a Vauxhall Albany, Ascot Ladies Day 1991 ( I think) borrowed from Vauxhall Fleet Sales as a demo. I was disappointed to discover it wasn’t column change . Although the vehicle was the least of my problems as a 27 year old ( almost) innocent trying to control, fend off 6 older Directors secretaries after they’d been at the free champagne all day. Luckily I was made of stern stuff in those days and volunteered the following year where I used a hired Transit Executive - an altogether better machine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CreepingJesus said:

Marea estate

One still clinging on for dear life in Ayr.

received_818368969364325.jpeg.ff882b30875b43fe4e627e5f38a0975d.jpeg

And I think @RobT (?) had a Marea saloon up for sale not too long ago?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Fiat Tempra, any shape.  Bonus points for estate ownership.

fiat_tempra_sw_uk-spec_1q.jpg.47f88c04896661b5888372efa1202c4f.jpg

I owned a red 1990 povvo spec 1. 4 saloon in 2000-01. It ran on 3 cylinders. 

'58 AMC Rambler feels like a good contender, first and only time I've seen one in person, but was it one of you lot?

DSCF9315.thumb.JPG.bcd093858c6c0869f3fa193905656dc1.JPG

DSCF9316.thumb.JPG.dfc9899239dad1095e59ea8d2d8da3c4.JPG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I'll be impressed if someone tells me they've owned or driven one of these:

image.thumb.png.458b075881ede63b980d180c6ab5e326.png

A Proton Persona, if you can't tell!

My dad had one. Last car he bought before he died. Leukaemia, the car had nothing to do with it. 

27 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ok, Daewoo Leganza?

A white MK1 Espace? 

A limited "swopz only" edition Accord?

Oh, nevermind .. 🤣🤣

I think @Mine's a Leganza! might be able to help you here.  I drove one when they were launched, but that was 25 years ago.  It seemed perfectly acceptable when it was new.

6 minutes ago, brandersnatch said:

My dad had one. Last car he bought before he died. Leukaemia, the car had nothing to do with it. 

A friend at university had a Persona automatic. Not the sort of car you'd expect a pretty young cheerleader to drive, but she did.

• Like 2