Supernaut's Cars - 323i / Megane

Supernaut

Hells bells I'm stumped man. Without connecting up to a more sophisticated reader I'm all out of ideas. The code above all points to the air intake sensor but you've replaced that.  If it was a misfire that might have been more straightforward.

Vauxhalls of that age can be a pain.

Iunno!

I could put the old intake sensor back on, or I could XUD swap it!

Or I could buy a scabby 145k mile Dacia Duster in Inverness!

Or I could keep driving it and just plugging / unplugging that sensor as and when required.

3 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Plugged in the cheapy code reader;

IMG_20240307_113736.thumb.jpg.f0b1e3e02d12d9706c4c3e8696cdc752.jpg

That certainly is a bare bones basic code reader 😂

This is my more modern, emergency in glovebox £13 Amazon special and more what I was assuming it would be like.

PXL_20240113_162936031.jpg

PXL_20240212_220530140.jpg

26 minutes ago, SiC said:

That certainly is a bare bones basic code reader 😂

This is my more modern, emergency in glovebox £13 Amazon special and more what I was assuming it would be like.

PXL_20240113_162936031.jpg

PXL_20240212_220530140.jpg

We've got something similar to that too.

Tried it earlier and the only live data it does is engine speed, coolant temperature and engine load. Hmm.

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Or I could keep driving it and just plugging / unplugging that sensor as and when required.

Could you run the ground wires for them into the cabin and onto some handily placed switches? Wouldn't even need to pop the bonnet then, might not even need to turn the car off or stop driving... 

Just now, beko1987 said:

Could you run the ground wires for them into the cabin and onto some handily placed switches? Wouldn't even need to pop the bonnet then, might not even need to turn the car off or stop driving... 

That thought did actually cross my mind.

I can't help but think that would encourage explodey disaster though.

Plugging in the code reader and hitting clear codes may have the same effect as disconnecting/reconnecting that sensor?

Some cars/manufacturers put a paltry amount of data out of the generic OBD2 interface. This might be one of them - it's been a long time since I've plugged in an Astra G. ScanMyOpel should give a hell a lot more. 

12 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

That thought did actually cross my mind.

I can't help but think that would encourage explodey disaster though.

Would only ever be one way to test it, and that might not be somewhere you have a plan B... 

Just adds to the excitement of astra ownership

I'm on the opposite side of Scotland (an doon a bit) but have one of those Launch tablet things that could shout at this if you can work it better than me. Works with my Vectra at least.

You're welcome to having a go of it if you can get down here/nearer Glasgow.

10 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I'm on the opposite side of Scotland (an doon a bit) but have one of those Launch tablet things that could shout at this if you can work it better than me. Works with my Vectra at least.

You're welcome to having a go of it if you can get down here/nearer Glasgow.

As much fun as it would be to push it into the Irish Sea, I have the North Sea right there.

8 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I suspect you're onto something there.

50-odd mile roundtrip this morning.

Outward bound; no limp mode.

Homeward bound; limp mode within a mile of beginning. Unplugged the intake air temperature sensor and it drove normally without even any lights on the dash! About 6 miles from home I slowed down to below 20mph for some roadworks, bam, limp mode.

Plugged in the cheapy code reader;

IMG_20240307_113736.thumb.jpg.f0b1e3e02d12d9706c4c3e8696cdc752.jpg

Cleared the code, shut down and restarted, full power restored but service light still on.

The ECU itself is only just above ambient temperature, not overly hot.

That tool is about as useful as a chocolate teapot 😅

Firstly it's worth getting a £20 code reader as said above

That code could be triggered by you unplugging the MAF sensor. The intake air temp sensor is integrated within it. 

If it's Z16XEP it should have a purge valve: 

image.png.624d48ea6ea79e91a0a79fb7dee1b0fb.png

Look around in the engine bay for that, follow any hoses coming from the inlet manifold if you can't find it.

That seems to be one of the most common things to cause a fuel trim code (lean only) on Vauxhalls in my experience. There's a diaphragm inside, you can test it by taking it off and trying to blow through and suck at both ends. Should be able to blow through one end, suck through the opposite only. Not blow and suck through both. 

(Oo'er matron etc.... :))

But aside from that, do a fault code scan with a better scanner first

The fan relay code is pretty ubiquitous on them. I usually solve* it by putting tape over the spanner light 😂

I have a (knock-off) Opel Tech 2 card but not sure it'd get up in time. 

Or I can send you the Opel image to reflash it onto a card if you're confident of doing that. 

I don't think a Saab card will do much with Opel. 

I've got that Bluetooth dongle on order already.

I realise how inadequate my diagnostics situation is. I've been thinking about sorting that for a while, but I'm a champion procrastinator.

I'll check out that purge valve though.

I found the purge valve down the back.

I disconnected the hose disappearing into the driver's wing, and on the assumption that's the purge part I blew back down it. Nope, couldn't do that. So at least that part of the valve is working?

However, it also sat and idled perfectly with both the electrical connector on the purge valve disconnected and the entire intake removed and sitting on the floor.

butno.thumb.png.34fc2d39d757f8009a78c2a16132c8c1.png

IMG_20240309_130335.thumb.jpg.dc8f207fc2a31f5434489465c06586cb.jpg

It's remarkable how quickly stuff arrives at a farm in the middle of nowhere. Quicker than it would turn up in central Stirling!

Anyway, Torque Pro for this? For the sake of £2.95 it seems worth it.

I've left a message with the mechanic about a pre-MOT on the BMW too.

Soooooon... (arches fingers)

15 minutes ago, SiC said:

Try this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ScanMyOpelLite.Main

There is a paid for version but make sure that adapter works with the free lite version first. 

Hmm.

It just gets stuck in a seemingly infinite loop of testing the connection.

36 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Hmm.

It just gets stuck in a seemingly infinite loop of testing the connection.

Sometimes power cycling the adapter (unplug & plug) and trying again might work. Often need to do it if using between apps.