The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

, AC which lets me chill the room to a couple of degrees above absolute zero .

That is strong air con and you must be tougher than me

-271 degrees C is impressive! 

ollieaaaaaaa.jpg.efac35d786d12ca9c14f062225d2d351.jpg

ollieaaaaaaaafg.jpg.3a8a0b15f71c6d016788acbb9d0596cd.jpg

Dave_Lee_Cartland isn't well at all, we think he might have had a couple of mini strokes. He's been to the vets and had blood tests, neither of which really revealed very much, so we hoped he'd just get better and yesterday he was ok. This morning he's had another set back, not as bad as the first one he had, but he's getting more confused, unsettled and lost looking :(

On 11/10/2024 at 20:11, Chas4545 said:

Get the nhs app on your phone and you will be able to see blood test results etc.  The nice thing about blood tests is they are either in  or out of the nhs limits. If they are out , theres the problem.  Good luck with it.

So er... yeah, I decided to give that a go right up until it wanted a scan of my ID and a photo of my face.  It's easier just to go into the surgery, or call, than trying to get my phone to believe my face is a face.

So I moved into this flat about 3 weeks ago

new couple moved in underneath a week or so ago

constant drugs fighting on the stairway and now threatened me as I dared to make a noise during the day and they’ve set the bins alight

so yeah

fucking this place off and viewing loads of houses to rent this week

ill somehow find a way to afford the deposit

8 minutes ago, maxxo said:

drugs fighting

What is this? 

9 minutes ago, maxxo said:

threatened me

9 minutes ago, maxxo said:

set the bins alight

These need calling out to the council if it's a council flat.  

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, loserone said:

What is this? 

These need calling out to the council if it's a council flat.  

No idea if it’s council or not tbh

15 minutes ago, maxxo said:

No idea if it’s council or not tbh

Either way, if there's council housing in the block, they as a landlord should be made aware that nonsense like this is going on. Last thing they need is to be putting someone vulnerable into accomodation in a setting like that.

Viewing another house at 5, honesrly I’ve decided to just go for somewhere else, then I can have family over without them struggling up the stairs and stuff

i want to live somewhere I can be proud of but I really feel quite ashamed whenever people come over

Combo van failed MOT today, pads all round, they advised discs too, and headlamp level motor N/S. Apparently, that means a complete headlamp assembly? 

15 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Combo van failed MOT today, pads all round, they advised discs too, and headlamp level motor N/S. Apparently, that means a complete headlamp assembly? 

If it's a Combo C, the pre 2010 model I think they're available, if it's the 2011 Doblo clone, I'm not sure.

Mini's exhaust, which I thought was fixed to at least not rattle is hitting the bodyshell again as it seems that the hanger snapped, and the exhaust mount starts making slipping belt noises(?!) after an hour or so of engine running. Back to the shop it goes tomorrow. 

Second wrecked unrepairable  tyre this year. Sharp stone (mini obelisk) gone right through . Could put your finger through the hole! 150 miles from home with no spare. Thank* you BMW for a useless can of air and a pump.
Thanks to Halfords Stranraer for quick service even though they relieved me of £150. 
Going to buy a proper spare off eBay tomorrow.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

If it's a Combo C, the pre 2010 model I think they're available, if it's the 2011 Doblo clone, I'm not sure.

It's on an 11 plate, same shape as earlier years

13 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I think they can be got then.

Thanks. I've had a quick search and I think you're right, though it depends on which make of lamp is fitted.

On 16/10/2024 at 18:30, Zelandeth said:

Bloody profiteering hotels...

Kind of as expected I didn't make it through the lottery for residential places at a convention I'll be going to in May.  This isn't really a surprise as there are only a handful of single rooms and they're oversubscribed in terms of room demand overall by four or five times. 

Stayed at the Novotel at Birmingham Airport last year, was £582 for Thursday through Tuesday including breakfast.  I like that hotel so it would have been my first choice this year - except for them having hiked the price to nearly £900.  How about no.  The nearest hotel to the event is the Moxy, though that's always bloody expensive.  Yeah, they're after £1205 plus breakfast...I don't think so.  That's £20 short of double they're asking for the same room 7 days before. 

Fine, I'll go and bash my head against the various hotel comparison sites this evening when I've got enough time and am sitting at a proper computer. 

Surge pricing really has to be one of the most annoying concepts in existence.  If I ran a hotel the price on the door per room per night would be the price per room, per night irrespective of if we had one booking or 100 bookings. 

Yes, it would be per bloody room not per person per room as well.  That hacks me off royally as well, the cost difference to them to service the room is virtually nothing irrespective of whether I'm on my own or with my husband, so why should I need to pay damned near double the cost at a lot of hotels for the same bloody room if we're both there?!?  Oh, yeah...because they can get away with it and it makes them more money.  Right, of course.  Vast majority of the times I'm in a hotel these days it's because I've gone off gallivanting on my own anyway so it's not a huge issue, but I still run into it often enough that it hacks me off sufficiently that it sticks in my memory.

There are one or two issues that maybe increasing prices. One is dynamic pricing. Even airbnbs can use this. There are website tools that allow any entrepreneur* to work like the big guys. Here is an example.  https://www.beyondpricing.com/

Have you thought about renting a small camper and looking at this sort of website to find your free camping spot?  https://park4night.com/en

There are other similar websites.

42 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

There are one or two issues that maybe increasing prices. One is dynamic pricing. Even airbnbs can use this. There are website tools that allow any entrepreneur* to work like the big guys. Here is an example.  https://www.beyondpricing.com/

Have you thought about renting a small camper and looking at this sort of website to find your free camping spot?  https://park4night.com/en

There are other similar websites.

Given the only site listed within the sort of distance I'd be considering for this is a layby on the A446 (which is still going to be a taxi trip away), think I'll stick to a hotel, thanks.  

To be fair, something like this isn't really set up for attending an event at major venues.  Sure if I was just going on holiday somewhere it would have the potential to be far more useful.

£416 for a site that's within a stone's throw of the NEC during the weekend where there's an event on that's pulling in the best part of 3,000 people isn't really too bad.  It's the ones trying to make a grab for the best part of a grand when it would normally be £2-300 that hack me off.

making my evening hot chocolate I finish a currently open can, so I go to the stack of them we got in a most recent Morrisons order, open one and its mouldy?! turns out they all are! I am mostly sitting here going how?! its drinking chocolate mostly coco powder, how how earth has it gone mouldy and why? given its supposed to be pretty fresh, a complaint has been sent to Morrisons, be interesting to see how they respond

image.png.79c954d2ec55afe534d81d4e7e345ba7.png

image.png.e8872fa77c5a69b934c868d3e389df85.png

its a bit concerning that they all are mouldy, because what if others that have gone to other customers are also mouldy?

46 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Is it actual mould? Chocolate blooms if exposed to temperature fluctuations but it's harmless, could this be similar?

thats a fair point, tho I cant say I have ever seen hot chocolate bloom like this before?

this looked suspiciously fluffy if that makes sense? and also critically for me, it did not smell like it should, it smelled more like rosin core soldering flux then it did chocolate powder if that makes sense!