The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 10/13/2021 at 8:13 PM, meggersdog said:

Yesterday an old lady turns up for her car MoT " I'm a little early " she says ' erm your appointment is 4pm it is 12.30 now'  "I'll wait in the car, I'm not going all the way home"  we are about 3 miles from her house. Carrying on with the MoT we are already in the middle of I see her go back into the office then back to her car. When we'd finished the customer in the waiting area informs us the lady has gone home.

She turns up again at just after 2pm , still way too early "I've got my book, I'll sit in the car and read that"  ' yeah, don't leave it there infront of nextdoors entrance'  "well where can I park ?"  hmm maybe infront of my office where it says  mot parking only. Finish the 2 O'clock MoT and the 3 O'clock turns up "ooh do you want to do that retest first " he asks. Nope that's the 4 O'clock .. oh, bit early.

So when I get around to doing this ladys car MoT it fails. One headlight bulb not working so obviously headlamp aim not checked. If a car fails on bulbs and we have them we will fit them but if it also fails on something else we don't. Both outer cv boots were loose (metal bands had broken) and there was grease on the hubs and discs. Not the end of the world , advised on rear tyres being cracked and worn on the edges rear indicators discoloured and one exhaust bracket had corroded off. " My car has never failed an MoT . Are you going to fix it ? " Told her we only do MoTs not repairs. She booked it in with the garage nextdoor and left.

She turned up today and a member of staff spoke to her. I was polishing some headlights as there wasn't much of  a beam pattern. The nasty old bat pointed at me in the workshop " I want to see him" my staff explained that I was in the middle of an MoT "he's avoiding me " she hissed. I was summoned to the office  "you are really underhand, you've ripped me off " excuse me , holding the failure sheet she says "you've charged me for something you haven't done. I want my money back" tried to explained that I charged her for an MoT inspection and you have to pay whether it passes or fails. She was having none of it. "I'm going elsewhere and I'm not paying for another MoT "  Told her she can go where ever she wants even the ministry if she likes but unless it's fixed it will fail. Again the I'm not paying came back. Told her if she gets the failure items fixed within ten working days it is a free retest here. "I'll be back on Sunday"  I'm getting fed up with the old bat now so replied " bring some sandwiches with your book then as we won't be here until Monday, cheerio"

The MoT ran out in January and the tax ran out end of June so if she turns up again tomorrow and the work isn't done I'll dob her in to the law.Nasty old bat. 

The saga continues.

Came into work on the Saturday and the woman is sat in her car. Told me she was here for the repairs "thought you were booked in for Friday " says I. She got angry and threatened to slap me. Told her the garage owner would be there at 9 am and walked off. He had booked her in for the Friday and offered to take her home .As he is there alone on Saturdays he wouldn't have offered a lift. Rebooked for Thursday .

On the Wednesday she phoned me to tell me she wasn't coming and had changed her mind and won't be having the work done.She then phoned the garage three times to say the same thing. As I was locking up she phoned me again to say the same thing. Heard nothing more until today.

Today she turned up demanding her MoT certificate. Have you had the work done then ? "didn't need any" came the reply. What about the headlight not working. "well the police inspector said it was disconnected and doesn't know why you failed it doesn't need any tyres" But I hadn't failed your tyres I failed the driveshaft cvs did you get them fixed. "doesn't need fixing there is nothing wrong" and "I want my MoT"  I was still doing the paperwork on an MoT so told her I need to inspect the car first and would be another ten minutes. " haven't got time, I need to be in Stamford. Just give me my MoT" oh dear,that's not how it works I need to look at the repairs.Off she went almost driving into a passing car. Police duly informed and they will be sending someone out to her for a welfare check. Don't know how to tell her that the ten days retest is up and would need another complete test.

5 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

The saga continues.

Came into work on the Saturday and the woman is sat in her car. Told me she was here for the repairs "thought you were booked in for Friday " says I. She got angry and threatened to slap me. Told her the garage owner would be there at 9 am and walked off. He had booked her in for the Friday and offered to take her home .As he is there alone on Saturdays he wouldn't have offered a lift. Rebooked for Thursday .

On the Wednesday she phoned me to tell me she wasn't coming and had changed her mind and won't be having the work done.She then phoned the garage three times to say the same thing. As I was locking up she phoned me again to say the same thing. Heard nothing more until today.

Today she turned up demanding her MoT certificate. Have you had the work done then ? "didn't need any" came the reply. What about the headlight not working. "well the police inspector said it was disconnected and doesn't know why you failed it doesn't need any tyres" But I hadn't failed your tyres I failed the driveshaft cvs did you get them fixed. "doesn't need fixing there is nothing wrong" and "I want my MoT"  I was still doing the paperwork on an MoT so told her I need to inspect the car first and would be another ten minutes. " haven't got time, I need to be in Stamford. Just give me my MoT" oh dear, off she went almost driving into a passing car. Police duly informed and they will be sending someone out to her for a welfare check. Don't know how to tell her that the ten days retest is up and would need another complete test.

I don’t envy your customer facing job. She sounds like she needs help, and not just with an mot.

The dog has eaten something that's given her the squits , she's not a barker , just stands at the back door and scratches but that's not a lot of use at 3am 

Got up at 6 to a brown pool of liquid squirted about a foot , luckily laminate floor not carpet but fuck me did it stink , cleaned it up 

About 9am I thought I can still smell it,  or can I , it's psychological once it's up your nose 

No , I'm sure I can smell it then I saw it 

Turns out a king Charles spaniel's arsehole is exactly the same height as the top of a boot , a big squirt right in it 

2 minutes ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Was one driving round my estate last week ( not actually gritting) god knows what that's about????

It certainly was gritter-shaped, whatever went past. Lights n' all. Very strange.

The pillock next door has some sort of cunning plan involving dog(s). A shitty shed has appeared in the garden, and contains a howling dog. It's been locked in for the best part of 3 days solid now, except tonight he & dog went somewhere for an hour in a randoms car. There's now howling coming from the shed again.

This is the same idiot that kept his illegal pit bike in the kitchen. The one that was shooting his GAT for days solid despite it being dark. So I suspect it's a cunning* plan with dogs. Probably dog fighting, or he thinks there's going to be a lock down and a mongrel he's got from some other smackhead will be worth a billion pounds when he sells it to someone desperate for a dog. Fuck knows.

Perhaps best plan is see if dog is releasable from shed in the night. Knowing my luck it will have rabies and bite the fuck out of my leg if I did.

14 hours ago, Fumbler said:

The gritter has just gone past. Perhaps the gritter hasn't gone past as there's no salt on the road. Crisis averted.

13 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Was one driving round my estate last week ( not actually gritting) god knows what that's about????

Probably staff training.

Dunno how things work in GB, but over here a few lads I work with are ex-Roads Service and were given the option to do their Class C truck test on the Department's coin in order to get a place in the gritter driver pool.

There's about 300 drivers in the pool, rota'd to cover 130 gritters across the main Northern Ireland road network. None of them are officially employed as gritter drivers, they all have their day jobs.

According to them, how it works is you do your test, then get a few nights out on the road before winter starts to familiarise you with the truck (currently Iveco EuroCargos) and the various controls. Then you get a flat rate of £6 a night for being on-call (£17 at the weekend) whenever you're put down on the standby rota, plus time paid for the hours spent out driving, should you get the call that your part of the network needs salted overnight.

The guys I know are no longer with Roads Service, and are now desk jockeys in Transport Policy, but because they still hold their C licence they still get to be included on the Winter Service rota if they want to. But because they're not driving HGVs daily anymore like some of the Roads fellas, they have to clock a number of hours refresher training each year before they can rejoin the driver pool.

Winter Service here runs from 1 November until 30 April, so sounds to me like it could just be some gritter driver training going on.

I've always been a bit jealous, to be honest; I quite like the idea of it.

4 hours ago, jakebullet said:

The pillock next door has some sort of cunning plan involving dog(s). A shitty shed has appeared in the garden, and contains a howling dog. It's been locked in for the best part of 3 days solid now, except tonight he & dog went somewhere for an hour in a randoms car. There's now howling coming from the shed again.

This is the same idiot that kept his illegal pit bike in the kitchen. The one that was shooting his GAT for days solid despite it being dark. So I suspect it's a cunning* plan with dogs. Probably dog fighting, or he thinks there's going to be a lock down and a mongrel he's got from some other smackhead will be worth a billion pounds when he sells it to someone desperate for a dog. Fuck knows.

Perhaps best plan is see if dog is releasable from shed in the night. Knowing my luck it will have rabies and bite the fuck out of my leg if I did.

Dob him in to the RSPCA.

12 hours ago, meggersdog said:

The saga continues.

Today she turned up demanding her MoT certificate. Have you had the work done then ? "didn't need any" came the reply. What about the headlight not working. "well the police inspector said it was disconnected and doesn't know why you failed it doesn't need any tyres" But I hadn't failed your tyres I failed the driveshaft cvs did you get them fixed. "doesn't need fixing there is nothing wrong" and "I want my MoT"  I was still doing the paperwork on an MoT so told her I need to inspect the car first and would be another ten minutes. " haven't got time, I need to be in Stamford. Just give me my MoT" oh dear,that's not how it works I need to look at the repairs.Off she went almost driving into a passing car. Police duly informed and they will be sending someone out to her for a welfare check. Don't know how to tell her that the ten days retest is up and would need another complete test.

This sounds 100% exactly like my nan apart from my nan would be more polite about it. It's the onset of dementia in someone who has always had their own way in life, so their confusion comes out as aggression/anger rather than them questioning themselves. 

My nan forgot her pin number and ended up banned from the local shop as she would just keep going back in every few hours and being really stroppy that her card didn't work and "what were they going to do about it? I need to buy my dinner!"

2 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

@jakebullet RSPCA.  People that do this shit to innocent animals should have it done back to them three times over.  I fucking hate it.

RSPCA website says "we're not interested in noisy dogs or dogs being kept outside". I should contact council and make a noise complaint, and if the council man thinks the noise is because the dog is suffering the council man can then contact rspca. Council noise complaint site says you must keep a noise diary for 4 weeks before you can complain. So that's a lot of dog dumped in a cold shed.

Hopefully this latest wheeze of his will end soon with the dog going to someone else.

19 hours ago, Wack said:

The dog has eaten something that's given her the squits , she's not a barker , just stands at the back door and scratches but that's not a lot of use at 3am 

Got up at 6 to a brown pool of liquid squirted about a foot , luckily laminate floor not carpet but fuck me did it stink , cleaned it up 

About 9am I thought I can still smell it,  or can I , it's psychological once it's up your nose 

No , I'm sure I can smell it then I saw it 

Turns out a king Charles spaniel's arsehole is exactly the same height as the top of a boot , a big squirt right in it 

What is it with you and dodgy canine digestive systems?

8 minutes ago, tooSavvy said:

I should be joyous - rug rat turns 15 tmozz..🥂

However, the CanadaGoose coat has [effectively] torpedoed any whistful thumbing through eBay tat-thread 🥺

Thankfully both my kids would never wear anything with a label on it 

My son had a plain black pair of Nike trainers for 3 years , in the end I had to throw them away while he was asleep 

The only time I got a shock was when my daughter asked for a pair of Dr Martens boots £180 

5 hours ago, Wack said:

Thankfully both my kids would never wear anything with a label on it 

My son had a plain black pair of Nike trainers for 3 years , in the end I had to throw them away while he was asleep 

The only time I got a shock was when my daughter asked for a pair of Dr Martens boots £180 

Doc Martins are nearly 200 notes !! , last time I bought a pair  they were 30 quid in the army store , and they wore out !

5 hours ago, Wack said:

It's all part of pet ownership , when this one goes that'll be it , no more dogs 

after owning Greyhounds and there sensitive belly's and resultant hose pipe ring piece .

I am finding owning a JRT  terrier type dog and its chomp anything jaws quite refreshing ....

wood chip , plastic toys , fabric toys , sticks , plants , travel , stress , our food , his food , anything he finds ....

anything that goes down that biscuit chute comes out firmly digested in a pick up able lump at the top of the garden !!!

15 minutes ago, MikeR said:

after owning Greyhounds and there sensitive belly's and resultant hose pipe ring piece .

I am finding owning a JRT  terrier type dog and its chomp anything jaws quite refreshing ....

wood chip , plastic toys , fabric toys , sticks , plants , travel , stress , our food , his food , anything he finds ....

anything that goes down that biscuit chute comes out firmly digested in a pick up able lump at the top of the garden !!!

That's why we feed her kibble , what comes out is a soft version of what goes in , normally , until she eats something in the garden she's not supposed to