The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

I see your 1.6 hdi and raise you a Touareg v6 tdi starter ( rhd)

At least it's a Berlingo I'm doing the clutch on ( on my drive). A C5 ii is even worse, as the huge nose means that the starter screw that comes through from the engine side is easiest accessed by kneeling on the rocker cover and reaching down. 

2CV camp weekend! 
5DEF7854-8746-45DB-ABAB-D7AF2D1E6675.jpeg

About an hour away in a normal car, 90 mins in the van (had to go the long way round to avoid single track lanes and a very low bridge just outside my village plus 45mph on hills). 

So why am I writing this from the seamless WiFi of my own home?

Smallest member of the brownnova clan decided 10 minutes from the campsite to do an exorcist style vomit everywhere and proceed to carry on vomiting all evening, so we decided to load the 2CV up and come home. That’s family life, that’s not the grump.

However, at 10.30pm with a sick baba, grumpy teen and a worried wife is not the time when you want the throttle to start sticking on intermittently… 

The council have been out most of this week and will be into next too resurfacing the road. So far they’ve planed off the old surface down to the old concrete base. Of course they’ve fucked off for the weekend now. 
Problem is, the roads drains are now standing proud of the surface so after heavy rain they can’t drain the water away! Heavy rain like we’ve had overnight and into this morning… 

Thats not all. To stop the bits of old tarmac and crap going down the drains they’ve fitted plastic poly sheet over the grates! And they didn’t remove them either so the road was literally filling up with water between the curbs, it looked more like a canal than a road. Luckily none of the water managed to overflow down the driveways on this side as they’re all slightly down hill of the road.

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

2CV camp weekend! 
5DEF7854-8746-45DB-ABAB-D7AF2D1E6675.jpeg

About an hour away in a normal car, 90 mins in the van (had to go the long way round to avoid single track lanes and a very low bridge just outside my village plus 45mph on hills). 

So why am I writing this from the seamless WiFi of my own home?

Smallest member of the brownnova clan decided 10 minutes from the campsite to do an exorcist style vomit everywhere and proceed to carry on vomiting all evening, so we decided to load the 2CV up and come home. That’s family life, that’s not the grump.

However, at 10.30pm with a sick baba, grumpy teen and a worried wife is not the time when you want the throttle to start sticking on intermittently… 

Hope Lady Edith is feeling better.

6 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

The council have been out most of this week and will be into next too resurfacing the road. So far they’ve planed off the old surface down to the old concrete base. Of course they’ve fucked off for the weekend now. 
Problem is, the roads drains are now standing proud of the surface so after heavy rain they can’t drain the water away! Heavy rain like we’ve had overnight and into this morning… 

Thats not all. To stop the bits of old tarmac and crap going down the drains they’ve fitted plastic poly sheet over the grates! And they didn’t remove them either so the road was literally filling up with water between the curbs, it looked more like a canal than a road. Luckily none of the water managed to overflow down the driveways on this side as they’re all slightly down hill of the road.

If they stopped on to finish it this weekend then someone would moan about that too . 

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

If they stopped on to finish it this weekend then someone would moan about that too . 

Most likely. I don’t know why, given the forecast for heavy rain, they left the drains covered though? Seemed like common sense to remove the covers before leaving to me? Put them back on on Monday once work restarts.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

22mm socket plus Halfrauds ratchet completely failed to make any impact on the steering wheel nut. I think I may need something with more power behind it....

I'm sure you know, but leave the nut on a turn when you free the wheel from the spline. 

A stupid person might pull the wheel off and smack themselves in the face with it. 

Athk me how I dow. 

2 neighbouring houses, about 500m from me, are having an annual party. Amplified music started about 11 am, volume increased, by 11pm it was intolerable. Who to complain to? 101 say environmental elf, but don't have a live phone no. Council website is useless. It's now 00:40, it's still going

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Annual party ? I'd just knock on thier door about Now (6:18 am) and ask them why you didn't get an invite. 

I'd make a start on cutting up that old washing machine so it fits in the car better for the tip run... Use a nice blunt grinding disc on your loudest grinder. Go nice and slow as you cut... 

I violently took down our plastic/aluminium greenhouse with a large hammer a few months back.  If you really hate your greenhouse, I can recommend that as a course of action if they're still making noise.  It's even better because bits go flying everywhere.  Bonus points for smashing up some old bits of ply that you have lying around to fit in the car as well.

Does Buxton have any weather other than "fucking tipping it down"?

We've been here since 13:30 yesterday and it hasn't stopped.

Whereas Llandudno, +20 degrees all week since Monday. We had two small spells of drizzle.

11 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I violently took down our plastic/aluminium greenhouse with a large hammer a few months back.  If you really hate your greenhouse, I can recommend that as a course of action if they're still making noise.  It's even better because bits go flying everywhere.  Bonus points for smashing up some old bits of ply that you have lying around to fit in the car as well.

A 4lb mallet is fun , saves all that hand action with a saw , it sort of just makes things part and fall apart ....

This 5 series has driven through 8-10 inches of water and has broken down.

He's just caused £3k+ of damage by trying to shave 30seconds off his journey. There's a Vectra just out of shot which did the exact same thing before this guy and was broken down, bonnet up. Surely that's enough warning not to do this.

Struggling to see why basics like not driving through floods isn't in the driving test. 

IMG20210808172509.jpg

20 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

Surely that's enough warning not to do this.

Struggling to see why basics like not driving through floods isn't in the driving test. 

People are stupid. You could cover it in the test and have huge flashing signs up and people would still flood their cars.

4 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

That was some rain that. My kitchen got soaked because the rain bounced back up off the window sill and through the window, which was merely ajar for a bit of air!

Aye, the area around my living room window was flooded by similar means, along with being covered in flecks of dirt that'd been smacked off the windowsill outside.

34 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

People are stupid. You could cover it in the test and have huge flashing signs up and people would still flood their cars.

Yep.  In Houston flooding like that is routine and so is people driving in to it and wrecking their cars.  Despite growing up there.  And it happening three or four times a year.  And flashing signs, depth gauges, etc. etc.  It's incredible.

I remember racing through flooding roads to get Eva years ago in the XM from amys mums before it was cut off. It got a bit deep at one point so I flicked the suspension into high and bounced through it (zero damping on high, or brakes but tbh I was going so slow I didn't need those). 

Had to come back a different way though