The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Next week we'll be required to walk thrice widdershins around the vehicle before proceeding to dance a Celtic jig, followed by a backflip and playing the ukulele whilst eating a banana at this rate...

I'm not anti-lockdown by any measure but they are sneaking these in with very little fanfare or transparency.

Hard to believe but it's true.  Here's a cut and paste from the Gov.UK linked to above.  So I can no longer teach my boy (who is sitting across the room from me) to drive because of Covid!  If anyone can rationalise this by any stretch of the imagination please let me know.   Also no more takeaway deliveries.  Just Eat will go to war with them.

image.png.c5dfd1463caeaf2b2a11e7fe7d9e6975.png

17 minutes ago, Alan_Green said:

Also no more takeaway deliveries.  Just Eat will go to war with them.

is worth noting this is AFAIK just for learning to drive in a car

I think mopeds/motorcycles are generally covered separately

so I think everyone's pizza's are safe for now LOL

The English language is a queer thing.  In the English language, 'practise' is the verb where you do something, eg you practise your driving to make it better, and 'practice' is the noun for something, eg a doctors practice. In American English, 'practice' is both the verb and the noun.  So the DVLA are right for a change.

https://www.writing-skills.com/practice-or-practise

8 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

Hard to believe but it's true.  Here's a cut and paste from the Gov.UK linked to above.  So I can no longer teach my boy (who is sitting across the room from me) to drive because of Covid!  If anyone can rationalise this by any stretch of the imagination please let me know.   Also no more takeaway deliveries.  Just Eat will go to war with them.

image.png.c5dfd1463caeaf2b2a11e7fe7d9e6975.png

How to rationalise it?  Well, the only explanation, is that IF something happens you will come into contact with people.

People that you wouldn't have met. 

The RAC man, that is towing you home, when you brake down, the third party who crashed into you, after a night shift of 16 hours on a covid ward, the ambulance staff, the A&E doctor, the nurses and patients on the trama ward. 

Yes a very slight possibility for you, but if every learner is out practising, then that's 1000's who didn't need to be on the road. 

Same with driving to walk. On Saturday I drove 3 miles to somewhere I knew would be free of people, to park at the end of a road where I have parked 20 times in 2020, and with one rear wheel spinning on frozen mud and the other on sheet ice, I was stranded. On a flat road.   I got my wife to sit in the drivers seat and whilst I was attempting to push the car a bloke got out and started to help.  Whilst I should be grateful, I came with in 2 metres of him for about 1 minute.  A contact that both of us didn't need to have, due to me wanting to drive my car (which hadn't moved for a week and only just started) 

Add up all the people driving 5 miles to exercise and not stating local and it's potentially a few extra people the NHS can do without. 

That's the only way I can rationise it. 

I know there's guidance and law and they are different, but this is everyone's problem. We all need to minimise contact. 

My grandson is unable to have driving lessons although my daughter has been accompanying him a couple of times a week.

The driving instructor told him the lessons were postponed and there were no tests being done.

The dozy lad across the street has continued having lessons, also practising with his mother, father and grandfather in his car (not all at once) and has now passed his test (surprisingly as he is pretty hopeless).

morons parking with their fucking hazards on outside one stop on the high street where theres double yellows. how about you park in the two big fuck off car parks just up the road, or are you too bloody thick. boils my piss cos all it does is clog up the roads. bloody townies.

25 minutes ago, crad said:

morons parking with their fucking hazards on outside one stop on the high street where theres double yellows. how about you park in the two big fuck off car parks just up the road, or are you too bloody thick. boils my piss cos all it does is clog up the roads. bloody townies.

I fully agree once the hazards are on it seems they think the rules of the road dont apply to them.

House sellers who answer every question you ask them except the one about vehicular access to the property and then go silent   😒

21 hours ago, Wack said:

I wouldn't want to be on the bottom of the London property ladder in 2021 

Having recently left I'll say yes.. in fact  you can prery much discount being able to afford anything if you are a mere mortal without a heathy five figure income and a pile of cash for a deposit.  Because "lhaaaandahhhaaaaan"