The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Last week I ordered a width-adjustable pull-up bar from Amazon. It arrived last night, so this morning I set it up in the bedroom door frame and tightened it as much as I physically could to be sure it wouldn't budge. I rolled the office chair underneath and hung my whole bodyweight off of it and it wouldn't budge. I yanked on it as hard as I could from every direction and it was rock solid.

Satisfied that it was safe, I decided to give it a go. I thought I'd put something soft underneath just in case but decided it would be fine. I'm sure you can see where this is going...

I managed about six reps and by this point I had complete faith in the bar. Just as I reached the highest point, the poxy thing came off in my hands as I pulled it full force into my chest. My legs were in front of me and I came down so quickly that I had no way to break my fall. I hit the deck arse-first with quite some force.

Straight away I felt an acute pain in my lower back and realised this wasn't good. I tried to move and it was agony, so I lay there on the floor for a couple of minutes like a twat.

Eventually I struggled to my feet but I'm having to be very careful about how I move. Fingers crossed I'll wake up in the morning feeling fine, but that might be wishful thinking...

• Sad 5

Ford LTD vandalised by some low-life on a birt bike this afternoon. He was riding somewhere he didn't have permission, and was quite rightly told to leave. I wasn't present or involved, but the dumb cunt evidently had a tantrum at being told what to do and used his bike to spray mud and rocks all over my car. Front wing got it worst and the paint is fucked, just covered in rock chips. The witness wasn't able to provide any useful info, so I'm just going to be left with the damage. 

Whoever he is, I hope he crashes his bike and dies.  

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

Could have split in a channel section of flashing, you can patch it over winter with some mastic. Spent yesterday up a roof doing a garage where some goon had done the roof in tongue and groove plastic, it was pissing in everywhere. You can only piss with the cock you’ve got sometimes so we patched it, really wanted doing properly with some corrugated sheet and the proper trims but obviously cost comes into it for a lot of people so bodge it it is.

I wish I could do that but I am shit scared of heights. My hands start sweating even at the though of it. I could maybe manage a bungalow 🤣

Pissed hard all day here so instead of getting on with getting madam’s car ready for its MoT, we went to the bowling alley over in Chichester.

Flashing disco & UV lights and extra loud music are tough for me at the best of times;  covid screens still up between lanes, no balls over 12lb and none with huge fingerholes meant what was supposed to be a fun hour or so out was awful.

I asked the desk if they have any sessions with normal lighting and pleasant music volume and they don’t at this one.

• Sad 3

Following friends in their 2cv this morning, on the a308, some lad leans out of the passenger window of their fox? And takes pics with their phone. Fair enough, there are four of us in a convoy. Then gives coffee beans gestures and the car swerves back and forth across both lanes. Continues doing this up on to the a316 nearly side-swiping another car already on the road, whereas we all proceed serenely off at the next junction . Weird. Admittedly bill does drive like great aunt Agatha ( Jeeves and Worcester ) but we weren’t holding anyone up by driving at 40 in a 40 limit.

5 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Pissed hard all day here so instead of getting on with getting madam’s car ready for its MoT, we went to the bowling alley over in Chichester.

Flashing disco & UV lights and extra loud music are tough for me at the best of times;  covid screens still up between lanes, no balls over 12lb and none with huge fingerholes meant what was supposed to be a fun hour or so out was awful.

I asked the desk if they have any sessions with normal lighting and pleasant music volume and they don’t at this one.

Instead of going out bowling, just find a crown green bowl and ten Pringles tubes, and bowl at home.

5 hours ago, Pieman said:

Instead of going out bowling, just find a crown green bowl and ten Pringles tubes, and bowl at home.

I already have a set of garden skittles but it was pissing down.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:24 AM, New POD said:

Just wear gloves. 

In other news...in the words of Frank Turner.

Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I...can fuck up anything, anything. I can fuck up anything. Anything can fuck up anything...repeat to fade. 

Thought that I could nurse my car for a week whilst I booked it in for a new water pump. Didn't tell my wife as didn't want to stress her.  On the way home from work I noticed steam. Stopped, topped up, and drove home. No overheating.

Told my wife that I would need use of her car next week, but don't worry, I've git someone who is going to look at it, confirm my diagnosis and book it in for next week. On Saturday morning. The assumption that I can use her car, that fact that I haven't phoned every garage in the area to get the quickest repair, meant that our night out at the cinema, was pretty shit. I take her for granted, and never take her into account her needs..etc etc. Doesn't help that it took 4 weeks to get her gearbox fixed, and there's an MOT less mx5 in the garage which needs some more work. 

It was all going so well. 

If it's a 1.4 turbo Astra J, should be an easy job to change water pump. Did my Zafira C which I'm m guessing is similar, a few years back. Remember thinking that by the time I'd have taken it somewhere to be done, left it and then gone back for it, it was less bother to do it myself. No need to go underneath or under wheelarch. Engine bay designed to take a bigger diesel engine, so plenty of access. Almost a pleasure to do. Would guess a job time of1 to 1 1/2 hours for a professional. 

3 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

If it's a 1.4 turbo Astra J, should be an easy job to change water pump. Did my Zafira C which I'm m guessing is similar, a few years back. Remember thinking that by the time I'd have taken it somewhere to be done, left it and then gone back for it, it was less bother to do it myself. No need to go underneath or under wheelarch. Engine bay designed to take a bigger diesel engine, so plenty of access. Almost a pleasure to do. Would guess a job time of1 to 1 1/2 hours for a professional. 

So about two weeks work for most of us then…..😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3

Kia may have to go to the MoT centre to have the work done. It’s pissing hard with rain again.

I managed to make enough space in the garage for working on cars, then wife and stepdaughter decided to use this new space for ‘stuff that can’t stay in the house’.

I suppose the best I can do is keep dosing the  seized fixings with plusgas and do bits as and when weather and work dependant.

Wanted this done ASAP because the Saab is booked for its test next Monday and I know that needs jobs

3 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

wife and stepdaughter decided to use this new space for ‘stuff that can’t stay in the house’.

Oh, don't. I feel a rant coming on.........

8 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Kia may have to go to the MoT centre to have the work done. It’s pissing hard with rain again.

I managed to make enough soace in the garage for working on cars, then wife and stepdaughter decided to use this new space for ‘stuff that can’t stay in the house’.

I suppose the best I can do is keep dosing the  seized fixings with plusgas and do bits as and when weather and work dependant.

Wanted this done ASAP because the Saab is booked for its teat next Monday and I know that needs jobs

Park the car in the house and say "two can play at that game".

Darwin Insurance doesn't allow you to cancel auto-renewal online so I had to go through all the bollocks of the automated phone system to finally get through to a person.

"Can I ask why you don't want to renew?"

"It's 71% higher than last year despite an additional years NCB and no accidents"

"Have any of the details changed?"

"No"

"Well I can't change the price then."

7 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Darwin Insurance doesn't allow you to cancel auto-renewal online so I had to go through all the bollocks of the automated phone system to finally get through to a person.

"Can I ask why you don't want to renew?"

"It's 71% higher than last year despite an additional years NCB and no accidents"

"Have any of the details changed?"

"No"

"Well I can't change the price then."

Ooo thanks for that. They are coming up as my cheapest insurance, my renewal is due. Still £150 (almost 100%) more expensive than last year mind. I'll give them a miss.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:41 PM, Mac69400 said:

Some arsehole punched a hole in my van door, opened it and looked inside, then fucked off. Fortunately one of my girlfriend's neighbours caught it all on CCTV.  We've got clear images of the car used, the reg, and the driver and passenger. 

I've reported it online, but I'm expecting a crime reference number and a referral to victim support. There's not much worth stealing in the van, but I've got to shift what there is into my girlfriend's house tonight, or go home and not get laid. Bastards. 

IMG_20230908_181902.thumb.jpg.8f19fba0c6487c0bfc1a8306ae60e159.jpg

As expected.

IMG_20230918_145556.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mac69400 said:

As expected.

IMG_20230918_145556.jpg

So the police have evidence of the culprits, can find their address from the car reg, and admit they have committed a crime. But still won't do the right thing and go arrest and charge them?

Jesus Christ on a motorbike!!! It's a bloody joke this country 😡😡

1 hour ago, andyberg said:

So the police have evidence of the culprits, can find their address from the car reg, and admit they have committed a crime. But still won't do the right thing and go arrest and charge them?

Jesus Christ on a motorbike!!! It's a bloody joke this country 😡😡

Two show jumpers over there just got convicted of stealing £50k worth of fellow competitors tack. Suspended sentence. 

• Sad 2

You know, it's true. Scotland really does have some picturesque sights.

received_1018619692811869.thumb.jpeg.a789c65bbb666862e34bc58f4d283467.jpeg

What beautiful scenery.

Predictably it was too good to be true that the puncture had actually been properly repaired, judging by the TPMS warning that came up for the same tyre today. Yet to hear whether it'll be a new tyre or not but I'm assuming it will be. Not losing as much air as it was but given I'm travelling 5 up with luggage I don't want to take a chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyberg said:

I got assaulted in Wolverhampton a few years ago. The copper admitted they knew exactly who it was but half of them got off on insufficient evidence and I couldn't positively ID the one they asked me to either from the identity parade they showed me on a tiny CRT. The court case got pushed back three times before I gave up pressing charges as I was moving away.

• Sad 3

After spending the day grinding cutting and welding my phone has a great new ‘textured’ screen thanks the various grinding metals that have embedded in the screen. It’s quite invigorating to use, and my finger tips have never been so smooth….. not sure I like it as a long term feature!! 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, MikeR said:

my wife has just thrown out tons of shite , I was not allowed to sort out and chuck out ....

My wife understands that she'd be on the pavement if she engaged in such despicable behaviour.

Hang on, has she been weightlifting?

48 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Should have said they made their escape doing 23 in a 20mph. The entire fleet from your local station would have been dispatched 😂

Or said you identify as non binary and they called you “he”.

• Like 2

Hub nuts.  (Not you Ian.)

I started to have a look at the rear brakes on the Visa between downpours, but to get the drum off you have to remove the hub nut and the outer wheel bearing.  Which is fine, but the nut has evidently been off a few times as it's been staked in so many times it almost certainly won't take another.  Can't do the old trick of swapping the nuts side to side either as that's already been done too, given that the nut has chisel marks on the other side as well.

So I need a new hub nut if I'm going to take the drum off.  But the only ones I can find look like this.

s-l1600.jpg

How the actual cunting fuck am I supposed to stake in a 2mm thick steel collar, on a nut that can only be tightened finger tight or it crushes the bearings?  The answer, as I discovered with the similar nuts provided with the wheel bearing kits for the Mazda, is that I can't.  All the hammer and chisel does is to make a dent in the outside of the collar, the inside edge doesn't move until you chisel all the way through it, and even then it's almost impossible to bend down into the slot in the stub axle - and completely impossible whilst trying to maintain the correct (minimal) torque on the nut.

What was wrong with the old brass nuts with a nice thin collar?  And why is everything these days totally unfit for purpose?

• Sad 1

Ongoing grumble (in amongst others).

Our house is a 1930s terrace. Neighbours on one side are students, with proper slum landlord owners. The slum landlords are a pair of outwardly successful dentists, and I've contacted them in the past about going halves on preventative maintenance work, but they're never interested.

The house next door has the original sash windows, currently rotting out. Gutters falling off, soaking the front of the house. Various other things that could be fixed and prevent future worse costs, but are being ignored.

Over the summer I noticed some of their slates had slipped, leaving a hole into their attic. The hole includes some of the party wall with our property. 

Contacted the owners multiple times to get them to fix it, no response.

Guess I'll be going up there to check for damp later...

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Coprolalia said:

Our house is a 1930s terrace. Neighbours on one side are students, with a proper slum landlord owners. The slum landlords are a pair of outwardly successful dentists, and I've contacted them in the past about going halves on preventative maintenance work, but they're never interested.

The house next door has the original sash windows, currently rotting out. Gutters falling off, soaking the front of the house. Various other things that could be fixed and prevent future worse costs, but are being ignored.

Over the summer I noticed some of their slates had slipped, leaving a hole into their attic. The hole includes some of the party wall with our property. 

If they’re local, go and sit in reception with a “ your dentist is a slum landlord” placard…..

9 minutes ago, Coprolalia said:

Our house is a 1930s terrace. Neighbours on one side are students, with a proper slum landlord owners. The slum landlords are a pair of outwardly successful dentists, and I've contacted them in the past about going halves on preventative maintenance work, but they're never interested.

If you haven’t got legal insurance on your house insurance, make sure you do when you renew. Then get a solicitor on it.  They’ll ignore you forever, but if they think they might cop for some hefty legal costs , they might well decide to do the repairs instead. 

• Like 4