Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Good solid cars, mate of mines had a few. D5 is supposed to be fairly good as far as modern diesels go but you'll find most have been to the moon and back or cabbed. Possible better buy is the 2.0t. Can be prone to problems with something to do with the throttle at which point you might have to bin it. Can't remember exactly what it was.

Good solid cars, mate of mines had a few. D5 is supposed to be fairly good as far as modern diesels go but you'll find most have been to the moon and back or cabbed. Possible better buy is the 2.0t. Can be prone to problems with something to do with the throttle at which point you might have to bin it. Can't remember exactly what it was.

Cheers for that, it's a 2.0T (180ish horses?)

Looks to be fairly straight, on 130k on a Y reg, so I guess it's up to her if she likes it or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My eldest son had a 2.4 T5 208hp that seemed very nice when I drove it.

He was moving to the US and was going to give it to me as he sneers at my C5.

He didn't emigrate but the S60 went terminal - probably more to do with son than car as most - in fact all so far - of his cars have fallen to pieces.

https://youtu.be/32bD08VSh_I?t=6s

What typically causes this whining sound? (only a few seconds in the vid)

One of my colleagues has reported it in his 2005 Audi 2.7 TDI - is the video genereally correct in suggesting it is a pulley bearing? It adds up as they are the only 'externally' mounted bearings in an engine and have sealed in lubricant that's fairly likely to fail at some point. Sounds a lot like an old Bini with the Prince engine, too.

WTF is taptalk and why would I want to install it?

The banners block half the screen a lot of the time on the AS Mobile site. I've been ignoring it for months.

Tapatalk works a lot better for mobiles I found, a little bit quicker, a few more features and you can view multiple forums through one app.

My colleague has had an S60 for 8 years and absolutely loves it, said he'll only replace it with another.

Bub - the alternator sounds like its overcharging too, maybe worth a look into that?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Does anyone know what type of number plates were most common on cars registered in '68. Were they all on black and silver or had reflective plates been introduced. I only ask as I think the later plates might look more at home on my 204. I bought a set of modern ones just to get it on the road meaning to get some black and silver ones at some point but I am not so sure now

Does anyone know what type of number plates were most common on cars registered in '68. Were they all on black and silver or had reflective plates been introduced. I only ask as I think the later plates might look more at home on my 204. I bought a set of modern ones just to get it on the road meaning to get some black and silver ones at some point but I am not so sure now

all you will ever need to know (but more specifically pg 6 for your query)

http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

all you will ever need to know (but more specifically pg 6 for your query)

http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

I can't see the answer there???

Reflective number plates became an option very late in 1967 as part of the Road Transport Lighting Act, 1967. I can't find the exact enactment date, but it was sometime in December. So from then nearly everyone went and fitted them to look new and modern.

(The first BS for the plates was BS AU 145:1967 - published 31st October 1967)

I can't see the answer there???

Reflective number plates became an option very late in 1967 as part of the Road Transport Lighting Act, 1967. I can't find the exact enactment date, but it was sometime in December. So from then nearly everyone went and fitted them to look new and modern.

(The first BS for the plates was BS AU 145:1967 - published 31st October 1967)

Ah ha that's what I wanted to know. It seems most people want to put black and silver plates on classic cars, but it seems as though most cars registered after the new reflective plates came in would of had them. As my car was new in '68 and one of the first 500 built with the diesel engine you would assume the buyer would have the latest modern style plate. Now all I need to do is find a supplier of the correct type of plate.

• Like 1

I don't remember reflective plates catching on that fast. I was ten in 1967 and obsessed with cars, number plates etc. Later I had several late sixties cars in the late1970s and they all had black and white plates, until I "modernised" them with a yellow reflective at the rear.

I've just been following a 15 plate scrambler along the main road when I nearly hit him up the arse when he stopped to let a car out, it then dawned on me that he had no lights or indicators but it was registered and on the public road. Is that legal?

I had one bike with a 'daylight  mot' and it was scary! 1958 Greeves scrambler and I had to stick a brake light on it - which instantly made it illegal as it must have ALL the lights or none...

Stupid rule!

• Like 2

The wife's 1.9 jtd powered Italian shite is belching black smoke under acceleration - over fuelling? I also noticed the other day the thermostat might be goosed as it doesn't come up to temp.

Could these two things be related?

The wife's 1.9 jtd powered Italian shite is belching black smoke under acceleration - over fuelling? I also noticed the other day the thermostat might be goosed as it doesn't come up to temp.

Could these two things be related?

Which model is it?

The thermostat might not help, I'd check the air filter and clean the MAF sensor and egr valve/ boost pressure sensor if it has them.

Giving it an Italian tune up might do wonders too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk