What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Soz, will stop mulitple-platform boasting in a bit, but tomorrow I'm going to the Montlhery vintage festival ( a bit like the Goodwood Revival, but for prewar stuff, and in France) in this thing. 260-something miles, 2 wheel brakes, 668cc, 40mph tops. minimal weather protection (I'll wear double tweed). No dynamo so we can only use the lights occasionally. TINY. We did 16 miles in it on Monday and it broke down after eight. Happy days!

8653525310_80b123b9c4_z.jpg

1922 Peugeot Quadrilette by barrogance, on Flickr

Expect to see an identical post in the GOM thread when I get back next week and have developed piles.

Soz, will stop mulitple-platform boasting in a bit, but tomorrow I'm going to the Montlhery vintage festival ( a bit like the Goodwood Revival, but for prewar stuff, and in France) in this thing. 260-something miles, 2 wheel brakes, 668cc, 40mph tops. minimal weather protection (I'll wear double tweed). No dynamo so we can only use the lights occasionally. TINY. We did 16 miles in it on Monday and it broke down after eight. Happy days!

8653525310_80b123b9c4_z.jpg

1922 Peugeot Quadrilette by barrogance, on Flickr

Expect to see an identical post in the GOM thread when I get back next week and have developed piles.

It WONT work. As a fashion guru, i know the problem is that it clashes with your Avatar. Change your avatar to a picture of Hulk Hogan.

9_11_hulkcopy.jpg

My grin is my new job, start at the bottom, and work my way up. Started Tuesday and so far I've been out in one of the hovercraft, done some fiberglassing, some trimming out and some sweeping up. Enjoying it so far, and glad to be working again, was out of work far too long!

This has a 3.0 BMW turbo diesel lump (used to be a v8), seats 8 to 10 and is up for £50,000!!

IMAG1072.jpg

IMAG1071.jpg

IMAG1073.jpg

They can have all the witch hunts/media frenzies they like if they are about vile nonces like Saville. I don't care how many hospital beds he raised money for, the bloke was quite clearly a twat who needed stringing up by his bollocks.

They can have all the witch hunts/media frenzies they like if they are about vile nonces like Saville. I don't care how many hospital beds he raised money for, the bloke was quite clearly a twat who needed stringing up by his bollocks.

Got to agree with that. Anyone who preys on the young needs to be given terminal percussive surgery.

I'll reserve judgment on Rolf until the full story comes out, but I bet Brenda is wishing she hadn't let him paint her now...

I want to believe that Rolf Harris is innocent of these accusations.

I'm sure like a lot of people growing up in Britain he was part of some very happy memories and I hope that won't need to change.

EDIT: And actually it is a sad thing that that is as solid as I feel comfortable making my support. I wish I felt able to say more and not be later cast down for saying so.

The culture of accusation that holds power today means that that poison seed of doubt is planted by each one of us in each other. There may have been a time when we thought that hideous things could only have been committed by those that we could tell instantly were not to be trusted. That has changed and causing such a change should weigh heavily on those responsible.

I want to believe that Rolf Harris is innocent of these accusations.

I'm sure like a lot of people growing up in Britain he was part of some very happy memories and I hope that won't need to change.

EDIT: And actually it is a sad thing that that is as solid as I feel comfortable making my support. I wish I felt able to say more and not be later cast down for saying so.

The culture of accusation that holds power today means that that poison seed of doubt is planted by each one of us in each other. There may have been a time when we thought that hideous things could only have been committed by those that we could tell instantly were not to be trusted. That has changed and causing such a change should weigh heavily on those responsible.

+1

Lynch mob mentality was bad enough before t'internet and 24 hour news. Now it's frightening. The whole country is judging and baying for blood/revenge/justice even before the 'accused' is even put on trial. Innocent until proven otherwise? Hah. Not likely. The media will rouse the rabble on the vaguest of rumours.

Who next for goodness sake? Winnie the Pooh?

Edit. I know... Wrong thread!

Ironically 'Rolf' is the sound a child makes when you force something down its throat

Anyhow, what is making me grin (in a slightly car related way) is how annoyed Volksy must be about his favourite* band Crystal Castles clogging up the Quote thread. I dragged him over to Cavette's last year in Auschwitz to get some wheels for the Sera when he had a MASSIVE hangover. On the way over the wiper was catching horrifically on the windscreen everytime there was a manic shower on the M62 and I had Crystal Castles 1 & 2 on the stereo. I seem to remember him likening the sound experience in the car to 'A woman having a mental breakdown because her Sinclair Spectrum is not loading whilst a goose is slowly mutilated in the background', followed by, 'Either I am getting old, or that's shit'.

I reckon it was just the shite speakers in the Audi.....

I'm going to stick my neck out and call horseshit on the ROFL HARRIS allegations. I think that with the witch-hunt mentality that has been generated by the Savile debacle (and I have no problem, given the preponderance of evidence, in believing that Jimmy was a wrong 'un), it's all too easy for anyone who either wants some attention, thinks they can make some money selling their story to the tabloids, has an irrational grudge, etc. etc. to go to the police with a made-up story about a media personality and get said personality arrested. And with the amount of time that has passed since the pretend assault is supposed to have taken place, there's no possible way of obtaining any concrete evidence, so it's just the word of one person - which if there was any sense left in the system would mean the charges were thrown out before the case even got to court, but with things the way they are at the moment I'm not convinced there's much rationality left.

Anyway, grin thread. I took the Rover 75 into work today, and managed to see off another tailgating twat in an A3. It really is quite a quick car - it's essentially an MG ZT 180 without the spoilers. Handles well too, although it does roll a bit during hard cornering.

Does anyone else watch that chasing classic cars program? There was one I watched a few weeks ago where an old boy had been over to Italy for his honeymoon in the 60's. While over there he spotted an advert for a Ferrari 250 Lusso and as he was young and had a bit of cash he bought it and brought it back to the US.

He lived in a little terraced house in New York with a garage in it and he did all his own maintenance. Him and his wife got so much pleasure out of it during their life never mind that it's now worth mega dollars.

I sometimes think it'd be good to commit to something over and above the usual old knacker and keep a hold of it long term rather than doing them up and selling them on (usually for a loss).

Obviously not a Ferrari or anthing but maybe an Early Maserati 3200 Coupe. It'd obviously conk out and I'd not be able to afford to fix it but still!

$T2eC16h,!zEE9s3!Z)HjBQs5PyVj3w~~_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maserati-3200-3-2-V8-GT-46000-miles-stunning-car-/140891660577?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20cdcc2121

I've considered selling the lot and getting one nice motor, like that Masser, or a Ferrari Mondial, but the thought of tying up the best part of £10k in a motor scares me .... I'll stick to a few cheapish motors for now.