What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Been looking on ebay for an old whistling camping kettle, I've got fond memories of our old kettle from camping holidays as a child. Modern whistling camping kettles tend to shriek rather than whistle (mine definitely does), and I fancied revisiting my childhood a bit.

It seems I'm not the only one who remembers the older ones fondly though - every one I've seen so far has attracted lots of bids, and ended up going for £8-£10. I was watching one out of curiousity, it had already gone beyond what I was willing to bid so I didn't bother, was just curious to see what it went for. Suddenly one of the bidders had the idea of making a ludicrously high maximum bid at the last second. The idea, I assume, was to ensure nobody would outbid them and didn't actually expect to pay anywhere near their maximum bid... except another bidder had the same idea.

Long story short, one of them is now going to be paying £50 for a manky old tin kettle. :D

I'm sure I've posted these before somewhere but I was out for a run this afternoon and stopped to take pics of this garages wall murals

IMG_1638.thumb.JPG.3a16f1c8e0d584066fb6a9fa3636c0dd.JPG

IMG_1636.thumb.JPG.784dc51bd32ad76d97ec441233ab37a1.JPG

IMG_1637.thumb.JPG.e8544ea051758540ecd53e6ea69f983b.JPG

last time I was passing, the shutters were up and he had a old Mustang and a Citroen DS in that both looked like long term residents

IMG_0180.thumb.JPG.9c12c97f248269cf8456b0d9494f9167.JPG 

1 hour ago, Soundwave said:

Been looking on ebay for an old whistling camping kettle, I've got fond memories of our old kettle from camping holidays as a child. Modern whistling camping kettles tend to shriek rather than whistle (mine definitely does), and I fancied revisiting my childhood a bit.

It seems I'm not the only one who remembers the older ones fondly though - every one I've seen so far has attracted lots of bids, and ended up going for £8-£10. I was watching one out of curiousity, it had already gone beyond what I was willing to bid so I didn't bother, was just curious to see what it went for. Suddenly one of the bidders had the idea of making a ludicrously high maximum bid at the last second. The idea, I assume, was to ensure nobody would outbid them and didn't actually expect to pay anywhere near their maximum bid... except another bidder had the same idea.

Long story short, one of them is now going to be paying £50 for a manky old tin kettle. :D

What's dad's old primus stove & kettle worf then?

12 hours ago, gm said:

I'm sure I've posted these before somewhere but I was out for a run this afternoon and stopped to take pics of this garages wall murals

last time I was passing, the shutters were up and he had a old Mustang and a Citroen DS in that both looked like long term residents

Remember that although it is years since I was up that way.

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

The track of the unknown cyclist , he knows who he is ... IMG_20230206_145427980.thumb.jpg.d6a280de392951d3a3856c330a4a30e8.jpg

That was me. Circa 1980s as a teenager. National Trust at Victoria Road, Freshfield.  Guilty as Charged your Honour. 

The concrete was still wet. I was out on my "paper round bike" the one with no front brake and cow horn handlebars.  

There were no witnesses to my terrible crime. When did I tell you. Was I pissed ? 

20 minutes ago, New POD said:

That was me. Circa 1980s as a teenager. National Trust at Victoria Road, Freshfield.  Guilty as Charged your Honour. 

The concrete was still wet. I was out on my "paper round bike" the one with no front brake and cow horn handlebars.  

There were no witnesses to my terrible crime. When did I tell you. Was I pissed ? 

Don't worry I won't tell anyone else , the shifting sands will cover your work to be discovered in thousands of years by future archaeologists. 

Walking towards a set of lights this morning, a few cars waiting when a sound caught my ear

dug dug dug dug, loud enough to be heard over the passing traffic, there were a few potential sources, the 56 plate Berlingo maybe, or the 07 focus 

Then the lights changed and DUGDUGDUGDUG fuck me it was loud enough to make me wince expecting to hear a bang with oil and innards spilling out onto the road but the girl driving the 12 plate mini didn't seem worried at all as she set off with her mechanical disaster waiting to happen 

I can't imagine a bloke driving a car making that much noise, maybe she was on the way to the garage having phoned ahead, my car is making a funny noise

On 2/5/2023 at 11:50 PM, gm said:

Inspired by the work of Tim Layzell, no doubt.

11 hours ago, New POD said:

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Urination Street?

Technically i think it's still Victoria Road even that close to the beach A road that is home to red squirrels and millionaire football players. 

Screenshot_20230207-075450_Maps.thumb.jpg.4bfb6adc429bb6fa0e6114feff25cd36.jpg

One of nextdoors customers dropped a car off at the weekend to MoT "when you get chance". I have been putting it away in my workshop at night then parking it down the side of the workshop during the day.Today I thought I'd have time to MoT it so parked the car infront of the workshop. Firstly a delivery driver almost crashed gawping at it, then one of my customers came in "woah, oldskool 306 , is it yours ?" . Then the midday MoT "nice, is it an XS " nope a 306 GTi....6. 

1 hour ago, Metal Guru said:

Distinct cremations ad in TV

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

You were tempted,tho?

Did some shopping around for an unattended funeral during COVID after the local ripoff undertakers wanted £2,500 ... Tried the local Co-op, £1,025 but because he had a Co-op shop rewards card I got the old boy a £50 discount, result . And I got him home in time for Christmas for his widow.

It seems like an across the board charge of £100 to return the ashes from the crematorium to home , so I popped down to Brighton crem and gave him a last ride home along the coast in the mighty Micra .