What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 hours ago, Bren said:

I am at our caravan. In the interests of a green agenda and saving money on energy I have tried wearing a onesie to keep warm.

I am warm but I look like sasquatch from the six million dollar man.

Photos ? 

I am currently enjoying the euphoric state of managing to get the car home from a potential FTP.

After making some patch panels up for the BX I decided it was too late to use the angry grinder and make a nice hole to fit them in. Instead I decided I should have a beer and chill out. No beer in the fridge though so that needed resolving.

I went to take my fiancées car but the BX was blocking it by a tiny amount. Being lazy I just took the BX rather than nudge it back a foot and take the sensible modern.

Earlier I noticed one tyre on the BX was a little down on pressure, so I thought I’d save the neighbour’s ears and go to the garage rather than use my 12v pump. When pulling onto the forecourt and pressing the clutch pedal to get second, there was an almighty crack followed by a second loud crack - the pedal then dropped to the floor. Fuck.

After a quick poke around I could see the cable was just flopping around and the release arm wasn’t engaging on it at all. I called my brother for recovery (faster to get him down with a rope than to get the AA) and accepted my fate. Then because I can’t leave things alone I went and hung off of the release arm to try and put it back into the right place. No real movement out of it, but cranking it in first revealed that the clutch was engaged…

I called my brother to cancel recovery, started the BX up in first and started to limp it home without a clutch pedal by rev matching to get the gear changes. After a couple of junctions I was laughing like a fucking mad man as I was so happy that I didn’t have to sit on the petrol station forecourt waiting for a tow whilst everyone looks on at me and my poor motoring choices.

Seeing as it drove alright* without a clutch pedal, I thought fuck it and turned around to the shop to go and get my beers. There’s a bus stop outside the local supermarket that’s only used during the day, so I used that as a place to park my car that would allow a suitable launching space to get going in first again.

Beers acquired, I drove home feeling much happier than a person who’s clutch has just shit itself should do…

I’ve made it home safely now, the car has been dumped on the drive and I’m attending the important business of drinking beer and forgetting my worries.

I’m sure I’ll feel even better* in the morning when I can look the car over with fresh eyes and a hangover.

13 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I am currently enjoying the euphoric state of managing to get the car home from a potential FTP.

After making some patch panels up for the BX I decided it was too late to use the angry grinder and make a nice hole to fit them in. Instead I decided I should have a beer and chill out. No beer in the fridge though so that needed resolving.

I went to take my fiancées car but the BX was blocking it by a tiny amount. Being lazy I just took the BX rather than nudge it back a foot and take the sensible modern.

Earlier I noticed one tyre on the BX was a little down on pressure, so I thought I’d save the neighbour’s ears and go to the garage rather than use my 12v pump. When pulling onto the forecourt and pressing the clutch pedal to get second, there was an almighty crack followed by a second loud crack - the pedal then dropped to the floor. Fuck.

After a quick poke around I could see the cable was just flopping around and the release arm wasn’t engaging on it at all. I called my brother for recovery (faster to get him down with a rope than to get the AA) and accepted my fate. Then because I can’t leave things alone I went and hung off of the release arm to try and put it back into the right place. No real movement out of it, but cranking it in first revealed that the clutch was engaged…

I called my brother to cancel recovery, started the BX up in first and started to limp it home without a clutch pedal by rev matching to get the gear changes. After a couple of junctions I was laughing like a fucking mad man as I was so happy that I didn’t have to sit on the petrol station forecourt waiting for a tow whilst everyone looks on at me and my poor motoring choices.

Seeing as it drove alright* without a clutch pedal, I thought fuck it and turned around to the shop to go and get my beers. There’s a bus stop outside the local supermarket that’s only used during the day, so I used that as a place to park my car that would allow a suitable launching space to get going in first again.

Beers acquired, I drove home feeling much happier than a person who’s clutch has just shit itself should do…

I’ve made it home safely now, the car has been dumped on the drive and I’m attending the important business of drinking beer and forgetting my worries.

I’m sure I’ll feel even better* in the morning when I can look the car over with fresh eyes and a hangover.

Went with a mate to buy an Opel Kadette, £80.

The bloke who was selling it said the clutch had gone.  We were going to tow it and put a new clutch in, he dropped the price to £40.  Had a quick look underneath and the cable had dropped off the operating arm.  Pushed it back on, drove home.  Quickest and cheapest fix I have done, also cheapest car, ran it for two years with only service items needed.

Just now, myglaren said:

Went with a mate to buy an Opel Kadette, £80.

The bloke who was selling it said the clutch had gone.  We were going to tow it and put a new clutch in, he dropped the price to £40.  Had a quick look underneath and the cable had dropped off the operating arm.  Pushed it back on, drove home.  Quickest and cheapest fix I have done, also cheapest car, ran it for two years with only service items needed.

I’ve had a look in the cold light of day, I think it’s a snapped clutch cable by the look of it. I’m too fat and inflexible to really get in to the footwell so I’m sending my younger brother in for a proper look this evening. If that’s the case then I’ll nick the cable from the other turbo derv BX on the driveway to get me out of a hole for now. New cable is £75 from Chevronics / £21 everywhere else so not a major outlay hopefully.

Finally found a 69 reg qashqai in the right colour, miles, price and spec that we've been after for a while, it's at another branch of a major supermarket type place and is being brought to my nearest one, slight grump is that there is no service history at all with it so technically could have done 42k on the same oil and this will be used as a bargaining point as I'm very unhappy about this :) 

The Grin:  I've managed to get the vin number from the reg which isn't easy these days, as the original supplying dealer had added a badge to the rear of the car I called them and, quoting the VIN, they were happy to confirm they had serviced it yearly and it had had some warranty work done, they'll also send me a newly stamped replacement book if I email them. 

Hopefully the car is as good as it looks ! 

Should be in the grump thread but it made me laugh. Sat at the level crossing on my way home from work I spot what I think is a leaf between the scuttle panel and edge of the bonnet out of the corner of my eye. As I look directly at it a bloody mouse is looking back at me. I put the wipers and washers on but it's still there. Pulled the bonet catch and it disappears I get out of the car and lift the bonnet, nothing. Start tapping the scuttle and still no sign of mousey.

When I got home, bonnet up, I had another look for it. Went and got a can of Raid and started spraying that vigorously around the scuttle. My neighbour comes over to have a word and asks what's wrong with the car I tell him nothing at the moment but there is a bloody mouse in the engine bay. I tapped the scuttle again and he jumps back about three feet. If it was a rat that's different but scared of a mouse. It's getting dark now so I'm going to chuck a bucket of water over the car and have another look tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Should be in the grump thread but it made me laugh. Sat at the level crossing on my way home from work I spot what I think is a leaf between the scuttle panel and edge of the bonnet out of the corner of my eye. As I look directly at it a bloody mouse is looking back at me. I put the wipers and washers on but it's still there. Pulled the bonet catch and it disappears I get out of the car and lift the bonnet, nothing. Start tapping the scuttle and still no sign of mousey.

When I got home, bonnet up, I had another look for it. Went and got a can of Raid and started spraying that vigorously around the scuttle. My neighbour comes over to have a word and asks what's wrong with the car I tell him nothing at the moment but there is a bloody mouse in the engine bay. I tapped the scuttle again and he jumps back about three feet. If it was a rat that's different but scared of a mouse. It's getting dark now so I'm going to chuck a bucket of water over the car and have another look tomorrow.

If the Raid kills the little bugger somewhere you can't get at it you are going to have to put up with the smell of decomposing flesh and a car infested with bluebottles that have hatched out of it... maybe!

Voice of experience as we had a rat die under the floorboards at work where we would have had to rip all the floor up to get at the corpse. We chose to not use that room unless absolutely necessary for a couple of months.

Don't think Raid will kill it just make things unpleasant so it buggers off. Same with chucking a bucket of water over the scuttle. It'sa field mouse looking for somewhere dry and warm for winter. 

Had a rat infestation in the outhouses a couple of years ago. Put poison down and ,wow, literally hundreds of bluebottles. The kitchen door opens into a passageway. A door to the front and a door to the back garden with a coal / wood shed, toilet and wash-house opposite. Think the rats were in the toilet  as I use the other two outhouses. There was a cartoon like arch knawed through the back door , when found I blocked it off with steel plate so what rats were in there were caught in traps or ate the poison. I opened the kitchen door one night and within seconds there were twenty flies buzzing around the house. 

omg medical shit you want how much!?!!?!11111?!!!1one1111

cream was 10-13 quid depending where ya buy it (i got given a box of 5)

but i need plasters and the ones they gave me

7 quid - im like woo coupla boxes then

nope thats for one - box of 5 or 10 😮

back to hossy tomorrow to get them on prescription or as in this case part of the treatment

On 25/10/2022 at 13:36, omegod said:

Finally found a 69 reg qashqai in the right colour, miles, price and spec that we've been after for a while, it's at another branch of a major supermarket type place and is being brought to my nearest one, slight grump is that there is no service history at all with it so technically could have done 42k on the same oil and this will be used as a bargaining point as I'm very unhappy about this :) 

The Grin:  I've managed to get the vin number from the reg which isn't easy these days, as the original supplying dealer had added a badge to the rear of the car I called them and, quoting the VIN, they were happy to confirm they had serviced it yearly and it had had some warranty work done, they'll also send me a newly stamped replacement book if I email them. 

Hopefully the car is as good as it looks ! 

also ask the question is there a service package in place and is it transferrable

i just had an oil & filter done free and will be able to get big service done in Feb (18/67 plate civic)