What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sorry to disappoint its aVauxhall.

Hey I like those too- as a nineteen/twenty year old in the early seventies I had a Brabham Viva (HB) and I still rate the styling. I could never get my head around the fact that they did a 2.3 litre version of the Viva, over twice the capacity of my car. In my ignorance I thought it must be twice as powerful and twice as fast.

I was staying in a pub in Cheltenham the last few days and this morning during breakfast i saw this Japanese man come down for breakfast and ask the landlord if he could borrow the land phone, no problem he says, hands him the phone and walks off to the kitchen to make the breakfast.

Meanwhile i watch Mr Japanese man go up to the table beside us and ask the lads sat at it if they knew the international dialing code for Japan! He then spends the next 10 minutes sat on this phone speaking Japanese with the landlord oblivious still in the kitchen! Talking about getting value for money out of your room!

I was staying in a pub in Cheltenham the last few days and this morning during breakfast i saw this Japanese man come down for breakfast and ask the landlord if he could borrow the land phone, no problem he says, hands him the phone and walks off to the kitchen to make the breakfast.

Meanwhile i watch Mr Japanese man go up to the table beside us and ask the lads sat at it if they knew the international dialing code for Japan! He then spends the next 10 minutes sat on this phone speaking Japanese with the landlord oblivious still in the kitchen! Talking about getting value for money out of your room!

Is this when you are supposed to adopt a public school accent and say "bad form old boy"?

This place makes me grin.

I have always wanted a Jaguar XJ and now thanks to this place I have one.

It cost a very small amount of money, but without the folk and the philosophies on here, I would never have dared to buy such a potential liability.

But I have, because over the years of coming on here, my attitude towards cars & particularly car pricing has changed beyond all recognition.

In the words of Tiny Tim, 'Thank you one and all'.

Good weather at last. So I decided to use the little 1200 for work.

Other than running a bit warmer than ideal (rectified by putting the heater on), it did the job very well and was a joy to drive on the rural B-roads.

Pondering whether to bring it to the FOTU do later this month – I’ll try and get a few miles on it over the next 2-3 weeks and see how it behaves.

I think for the first time ever I am writing about car insurance in the grin thread.

Called up my insurers this morning about the Mazda, got straight through with no wait and only 220 euros for a year including breakdown cover. Granted its third party only, but thats all I ever want anyway.

Tonight in Newton Longville I spotted a very nice beige, dangly mirror,small headlight Sierra. Then 30 seconds later a slightly newer red one, Again in lovely condition. Didn't have chance to get a picture though.

No need to, it was thesepost-17414-0-81011800-1467666132_thumb.jpeg

Mates of Borniteidentity and picture stolen from his thread.

In hindsight I can now see why Cortina owners didn't like the looks of the Sierra.

I couldn't see what the fuss was at the time.

My memory of mk1 Sierras was the contrast between models.

Some seemed really quick (2.0) and some were really slow (emax) and some had great headlamps and others with identical looking lights were like candles.

Unfortunately It was often the quick ones with crap lights.