What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

My Nissan is haunted.

The horn went off the other night after midnight and was blaring non-stop.

I was in a deep sleep and when I woke I realised something was amiss.

Victor Meldrew from next door was desperate to bang on my door to tell me it was MY CAR MAKING THE NOISE!!!

Anyway, I disconnected the battery and went back to bed.

I checked the car today and it was back to it's normal self.

I have removed the fuse just to be on the safe side.

60815-car1.jpg

Really proud of myself. Drove to Leeds. Only managed one junction on the motorway before I decided I didn't like it. Volvo performed faultlessly. Mpg about 26/28 but it has a blow on exhaust and may benefit a service and atf change. I could live with mpg just for the sheer comfort,ride quality and ease of use

This actually happened yesterday, but only just had chance to post it....  

Yesterday I had to have a routine scan at a private hospital a couple of junctions up the M-way.   Being such a bloody nice day I took the Cowley up for a run, annoyed a few four-ringers and kidney-faces in the process (it was still rush hour) but still a nice run.    

Got there a bit early so I just sat in the Cowley revelling in the smell of warm rusty coolant coursing through the heater* and decaying fabric.   

And then it dawned on me.....I was at a Nuffield hospital.   Funded, of course, through the success of the original Morris Cowley and its brothers, in all probability cars made by long-timers who may have turned a screw or two on mine.   Fair play to his Lordship - they might have bolloxed his company up eventually but the legacy lives on..... 

Just been called over by a few people, Steve from Finance is looking at a new car. Astra (whatever mk a 2013 disastra is), derv, £7k, 11k mikes, repaired cat D. Looked nice.

Then he said how many miles he does a year - UNDER 5000!, his commute is 6 miles each way every day. I expressed my displeasure and told him to get a petrol, can't see a modern derv lasting a year with that sort of driving!

Just been called over by a few people, Steve from Finance is looking at a new car. Astra (whatever mk a 2013 disastra is), derv, £7k, 11k mikes, repaired cat D. Looked nice.

Then he said how many miles he does a year - UNDER 5000!, his commute is 6 miles each way every day. I expressed my displeasure and told him to get a petrol, can't see a modern derv lasting a year with that sort of driving!

That will end in tears, its what we have just given back, my wife had a similar short commute, 36mpg round the houses and an extra 10 mile trip every week to clear the DPF warning from the dashboard, they take an absolute age to warm up too, had many heater faults, water leaks, electric handbrake issues etc etc,  I used to get over 50mpg on the motorway out of it and they are very good as a motorway car and not a bad place to sit, but the diesel just doesn't work for short journeys, the petrol ones (sub 1.8 ) are gutless too.

my (ex) baby momma's c class shitter has been constantly wiping its windscreen for months, but as i don't have to drive it often i have only made a half hearted attempt to diagnose the problem (not fix it  :-D )

I almost* went to look at it this evening but had a quick google first which presented this :

http://www.talklocal.com/blog/2013/02/s/auto-repair/windshield-wiper-blades-wont-turn-off/

There is a possibility that the fuse in your car is malfunctioning.  The fuse is the safety device that breaks the electric circuit if it exceeds the safe level.  If your fuse blows then there will be no way to stop the electricity from reaching the windshield wipers.  This will cause your wipers to constantly keep going.  You will need to install a completely new fuse because there is no way to repair a blown fuse.

If this does not stop your windshield wipers from going your park switch may be failing.  This device is located in the wiper motor.  When the park switch fails the car’s battery does not recognize that the car is off and not running.  This is the reason a current is still sent to the wipers and they keep running.  The replacement piece for this should cost about $80.

In some cases the negative cable could have come loose at the post.  You can easily tighten it and the wiper problem should be resolved.  If any wires in the wiper system have become loose or have a bad connection, then your wipers will immediately react.  You should examine the entire wiring system to make sure nothing is wrong.

:blink2:

Raised a smile this evening. We have gone to Leeds for a show my wife got tickets for the other month. Taxi to arena was a Citroen berlingo with the dial control on dashboard for auto box. Monumental gap between each gear change. Shows how progression can be hindered by electronics when my Volvo changes smoother on the upshift

Back in the halcyon days when I did 4/5000 miles a year I forever had mayo under the oil cap and binding brakes. Almost felt bad owning a car.

I'd have a Leaf if I had the £ and did that sort of mileage.

Mrs AlexG was 4 days overdue for our first baby. Poor girl was up all night needing the toilet, she thought, until she plopped out the little blighter whilst standing on the landing as I called the hospital. Poor chap entered the world with a bump and frightened the hell out of me. Paramedics and midwife arrived soon after and were superb. The carpet is a bit worse for wear, but Mum and baby Sam doing fine :)

Mrs AlexG was 4 days overdue for our first baby. Poor girl was up all night needing the toilet, she thought, until she plopped out the little blighter whilst standing on the landing as I called the hospital. Poor chap entered the world with a bump and frightened the hell out of me. Paramedics and midwife arrived soon after and were superb. The carpet is a bit worse for wear, but Mum and baby Sam doing fine :)

Congrats mate ! someone here was selling a cheap vax  :-D

Our whippets flippin love carrots. One day when I was trying to train them a while ago I used chunks of carrot as treats, they had about 3 or 4 each over the day

The day after I saw what looked like a whole carrot on the lawn. At first I thought one of the dogs must have robbed it off the kitchen side and left it there, but eventually it dawned on me what it was.

Had a leaving do for a couple of workmates in Birmingham and got to chat with the husband of one of the programmers at work.

Find out that he (like me) is a massive motorsport fan and really likes endurance racing.

We now planning to go to Le-mans together as cost for one person is £300, cost for two people is £360.

He's also called Bub, so things can only go perfect from here on.

Just taken the first of our sofas to the tip ready for our new free ones to come later. Had to take the meriva. It gummed itself up in the usual vauxhall way over the last few months. A good 18 mile round trip rag to the tip had it smelling oily and a path has appeared through the clag in the breather pipes.

Same again later/tomorrow, then Ill put £20 pez in so amy doesnt notice!

Had a leaving do for a couple of workmates in Birmingham and got to chat with the husband of one of the programmers at work.

Find out that he (like me) is a massive motorsport fan and really likes endurance racing.

We now planning to go to Le-mans together as cost for one person is £300, cost for two people is £360.

Give me a shout when your at Le Mans as I have a couple of grandstand tickets and ACO membership that can get you in to a couple of good viewing areas.