The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

14 minutes ago, gm said:

I have that little button, I thought it was for heated mirrors (that don't work) more investigation required

From memory the pre facelift mk2s used that button for heated mirrors.

On post facelift, heated mirrors were combined with rear window heater.

It appears to be deadlocking itself as well - otherwise it'd unlock when you pull on the interior door handle.

If you don't fancy tracing the wiring and trying to work out where it's gone French, what I would have done had I kept the car is to run a separate 12v supply into the door, install a couple of discreet push-button switches somewhere in the door trim and connect them to the lock and unlock wires (the two yellow wires running to the door lock unit) to give "manual" locking, like in the good old days when cars had a proper lock button.

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It appears to be deadlocking itself as well - otherwise it'd unlock when you pull on the interior door handle.

If you don't fancy tracing the wiring and trying to work out where it's gone French, what I would have done had I kept the car is to run a separate 12v supply into the door, install a couple of discreet push-button switches somewhere in the door trim and connect them to the lock and unlock wires (the two yellow wires running to the door lock unit) to give "manual" locking, like in the good old days when cars had a proper lock button.

That was the plan I had as well. Did you leave a bit of red wire connected to the back of the fag lighter socket? That came in very useful for poking at various bits of Electronique Francaise. Incidentally it was one of the yellow wires which wasn't getting the pulse. I didn't check the connector in the door as my multimeter ran out of juice and I cannot find my 12v probes anywhere. I may pull the shunt out the ECU as well, as this sometimes resets the bizarre behaviour (wipers going off at random etc).

Local tame mechanic says the wiring running between the A-pillar and door is common point on these, so that may be getting some attention. Trouble is my car tinkering time is not at a premium at the moment.

19 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

And then I put together a new conveyor belt for firewood. Forgot picture of it was of the finest chinesium and looked like it was built by a drunk 5 year old. Lifetime of this will be exciting.

The best thing about this conveyor is that it came with a transport crib of metal. If I were to buy all this, it would be expensive so it was a nice surprise. So I cut it up today and will get a lot of use for this.

20211006_104959.thumb.jpg.0b32962f6c0a0bf967dbf488074e7eb8.jpg

20211006_110207.thumb.jpg.1ce2faeb7eea06a511d212c232dc3260.jpg

28 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

That was the plan I had as well. Did you leave a bit of red wire connected to the back of the fag lighter socket? That came in very useful for poking at various bits of Electronique Francaise. Incidentally it was one of the yellow wires which wasn't getting the pulse. I didn't check the connector in the door as my multimeter ran out of juice and I cannot find my 12v probes anywhere. I may pull the shunt out the ECU as well, as this sometimes resets the bizarre behaviour (wipers going off at random etc).

Local tame mechanic says the wiring running between the A-pillar and door is common point on these, so that may be getting some attention. Trouble is my car tinkering time is not at a premium at the moment.

I wasn't responsible for the red wire but I did avail myself of it a couple of times.  If memory serves the connector inside the door was a bit of a twat to get at due to tight access, which is why I stripped a bit of insulation off the wires so I could zap them with 12v.

Funnily enough I had to change the battery in my multimeter whilst probing the C2 - the first time it's needed a new battery in the 20+ years since I bought it (!).

7 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Surely you just get a Yaris or Auris or a Jazz and be done with it, they simply don't require maintenance other than servicing annually, they are perfect 'Mum' cars.

7 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Sounds like you need the “normal option”. Whenever I find myself faced with something like this I ask myself “what do normal people do” - ie those who don’t think running a 30 year old daily is a good idea. The answer is nearly always 

A- PCP a modern with maintenance thrown in. 

2- Give broken car to garage for repair.

D- Use public transport.

and it’s really no more complicated than that. 99% of the population manage in this fashion. You COULD get a Jazz/Corolla/ etc but faced with the option of £99pcm for a Sandero or whatever I reckon I’d just do that and spend my time worrying about my partner, rather than whether the car’s gonna soil itself. 

Good luck champ. 

The problem herein is that my mum isn't 'normal people', she despises credit and PCP and has only ever bought cars outright. She's also very choosy as she has a dodgy back and knee - it's strictly autos only. No sodding clue on her budget either but I'm suspicious it'll be in the 5k region. She has particularly bad contamination OCD and public transport is out of the question both on terms of comfort and mental health. 

We looked into Jazzes a while ago for my aunt and weren't impressed, she doesn't like them or their image, and they're hideously expensive for what they are. Also they're CVT, which she despises after a particularly bad experience with a Fiesta that ate three gearboxes before it had 60k on the clock. 
She doesn't want a Toyota, and that's probably for the best as 5k only gets you a ten plus year old one, the Yaris is CVT and the Auris is a robotised manual that's known for being shit. 
She wouldn't be seen dead in a Dacia, Kia et al. 

It sounds like the Mini will get sold and my mum will use the Prelude for a bit til she finds something she likes. 

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

The problem herein is that my mum isn't 'normal people', she despises credit and PCP and has only ever bought cars outright. She's also very choosy as she has a dodgy back and knee - it's strictly autos only. No sodding clue on her budget either but I'm suspicious it'll be in the 5k region. She has particularly bad contamination OCD and public transport is out of the question both on terms of comfort and mental health. 

We looked into Jazzes a while ago for my aunt and weren't impressed, she doesn't like them or their image, and they're hideously expensive for what they are. Also they're CVT, which she despises after a particularly bad experience with a Fiesta that ate three gearboxes before it had 60k on the clock. 
She doesn't want a Toyota, and that's probably for the best as 5k only gets you a ten plus year old one, the Yaris is CVT and the Auris is a robotised manual that's known for being shit. 
She wouldn't be seen dead in a Dacia, Kia et al. 

It sounds like the Mini will get sold and my mum will use the Prelude for a bit til she finds something she likes. 

My old Doris is probably similar.  The best car she ever had was a HONDA CRV - no bending/folding to get in it - nice auto box - decent image etc.  But it sounds like your Mum's wishlist points you at risky motor cars.  I wish you every success!

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Well this ain't great. Garage has said my front spheres are ruptured and are rock solid. They were ok a month ago but I do remember the front being really stiff last weekend.

Well at least that's not a catastrophically expensive issue to sort and the labour involved is about ten minutes.

17 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Well at least that's not a catastrophically expensive issue to sort and the labour involved is about ten minutes.

No it isn't, but it adds onto the list of work I presented them with. At least it's getting sorted.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:12 AM, BorniteIdentity said:

I'm not sure I ever built myself into a trap, or became dependent on the salary.  One thing I did learn though is - no matter HOW much you earn - you will  spend it.  You just grow into it.  I've been doing this job for 18 years now and earn a decent amount of money (without being either vulgar or vague I am a higher rate tax payer) and I've never felt richer than when I was 20 years old, earning £18k a year.

It sounds like you can't really lose @JJ0063- just make sure you don't die wondering.

Rarely a truer word spoken.  A few years ago I was in a band with a couple of solicitors (total twats, the pair of them) and one of them couldn't even move out of his Mum's house in his mid-30s because he spaffed his money on hookers and blow, getting taxis from London to Gravesend regularly, etc.  Loved the party lifestyle and that's where his money went...

37 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109257793786

Six or seven miles away. Case closed. Had no idea spaceships came with a proper auto. only knew about i-Shit.

I think on the Mk8 it was the facelift post-2009 like that one that came with a proper box. Mk9 is a big step up on quality though imo. Not sure what type of auto box they got.

Type of thing @Eddie Honda would know (when he frequents this site).

1 hour ago, SiC said:

I think on the Mk8 it was the facelift post-2009 like that one that came with a proper box. Mk9 is a big step up on quality though imo. Not sure what type of auto box they got.

Type of thing @Eddie Honda would know (when he frequents this site).

correcto - 09 on is 5 speed torque converter and that's what we're looking at. Think the 9 has the same 'box. 
Can't afford a 9 as they're significantly more expensive, and I bet mum wouldn't like the styling.