The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I washed the cars today in preparation for putting the XJ-S away tomorrow (it'll never happen!) also polished the driver's seat squab with coloured polish, it's the only bit of the interior with any damage/wear and then only very slight and put the battery back on! It's only been in the front room for a month. Then used the Jaguar to try and dry it off a bit, it reminded me how lovely it is to drive, but I will feel much happier when it's locked away with a cover on it instead of outside in the rain.

Washed the Merc as well - whoop!

Now utterly knackered but I have just had treacle pud and custard as a 'fond farewell' to 2018 may we never see its like again!

Well that was fun*

Loaded up the Merc with all the detritus of the day for a tip run..

Chooch up the big hill before the dump, and round the sharp Left hander, plant the pedal.

No acceleration. REV counter says 2k rpm. Shift to Neutral, 0rpm and dash lights.

Let the bugger roll 1/4 of a mile and make it to the entrance to the dump road. Dead on 427miles.

Stopped with hazards on, luzz in 10L veg. Crank for 4 mins, BOOM running again.

Into the dump, unload, reminisce with a worker who was telling me of his pug 505 he ran on veg, then hame!

Looks like it is a 70L tank in the Merc

Kangaroo Valley. Is that the most Australian bit of Australia? Sounds it.

Happy new year man!

As most peoples ideas of Australia consist of either red deserts and large rocks or the big coat hanger and draining board, then no.

Kangaroo Valley is the bit of New South Wales that makes you realise why they called it New South Wales.

2ae895d4c0cce9e270576adb37a80cd8.jpg

Please disregard the Jaguar, I was jiggling the electrical connections to make the air conditioning condition the air.

And yes, there are plenty of Kangaroos about, most of them are in my grandmother’s garden as pictured above somewhere in the background.

And also, Happy New Year to everyone! Even though is only half past four for you lot.

(It’s half past 3 in the morning here and I have nearly run out of beverages, if you know what I mean.)

Drove up to the parent’s house yesterday afternoon, slightly disappointed to have just calculated the fuel consumption to be 26.5mpg, but I suppose that’s two hours up the m40 at 80mph! I got fed up of having to pass middle lane muppets on the left when I was doing 67mph so in the end put my foot down and just sat in the outside lane passing everyone - it may as well be a two lane motorway sometimes.

Anyway, shell is a lot cheaper in Wrexham £1.169.

I ventured over the English border into cavcraft city this morning but didn’t linger- hardly anyone about shopping and everywhere looked a bit dreary in the damp. Had a quick glance at the fiat to make sure it’s still there but it can stay tucked up in its nice winter cover and battery conditioner.

Grandmother Fumbler's 2005 Rav4 clocked over 100 000 miles today. That also means it's now worth pennies and groats. And it needs a new clutch. Seriously needs one. It slips in 4th at 40MPH so not good at all. Now looking for a new vehicle that is small, four wheel drive, and has adequate ride height so she can continue pulling herself into the car and staying active.

Family is considering a "New clutch then sell" as this will be its 3rd. The Dual Mass Flywheel is also done with clutch after a particular incident where it decided it would be 3/4 mass flywheel and had everything vibrate to hell and back.

While jumping the Camry brother and I also noticed a lot of oil on the intake manifold. Semi fresh as well. Unconcerned as MoT people haven't said anything, however I might just check the papers to be sure.

Father Fumbler had a Laguna. The switch count has apparently only been met and surpassed by Porche's Caymen (or something like that). It apparently also had an electrical self destruct called the electrical system but who am I to judge? He was quite critical of the car.

I decided to finish the year with a pointless purchase.

attachicon.gif20181231_145413.jpg

2 litre pez pre-facelift in a nice colour made up for the fact it has just 10 days MoT left. It's only done a few hundred miles since the last one too, so here's hoping.

attachicon.gif20181231_123608.jpg

It’s quite fun* buying a car with a very short MOT and immediately taking it for an MOT to roll the dice. It’s kind of rewarding if the car then proceeds to pass the test first try.