The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

The other downside of creepers is that they do a wonderful job of demonstrating to you how that driveway that you thought was level really isn't as you wind up holding onto the car you're trying to work on to stop yourself rolling down the nearly imperceptible slope - which gets really annoying in a hurry! 

Some mats are really useful though.  I've got a decent set somewhere in the garage, sadly haven't seen them in a couple of years...

Mechanic friend says that they are ok in the workshop where the floor is flat and no stones to block the wheels. But out and about he uses snap-on foam beds.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

9am

My tiny car is frozen.

IMG-20240224-WA0003.jpeg

I need to get the paint ( and rust spots) polished up a bit this year. The rear doors are original and speckled with rust. Any suggestions and recommendations for a mechanical polisher?

4x4 definitely works on the XC90.

As confirmed during a trip to Chester Zoo where they were parking cars on the quagmire that is their grass car park. Everything got stuck. Including me in the XC90, but all four wheels span. Plus I was the only car who managed to unstick myself  in that section rather than needing a gang of high vis zoo staff to push.

Should have taken the 2CV… bet that would have skipped through the mud! 

7 hours ago, HMC said:

Had a visit from mate steve, a family man who solved the question answered  “volvo xc90” a different way

IMG_5486.thumb.jpeg.f21ed2bce42b74f68a2033269211be29.jpeg

is it for sale..lol

I think I might be nearly sorted with the wind noise issues in teh 520d.

Got rid of the last of the wind deflector clips today and found a pound coin wedged into the door rubber.

Still not 100% sorted with temeprtaure and warming up, think I might need a new egr valve cooler.

I'm in Norwich parked up on the show ground. Another season of circus shite coming up. Not doing any shows here but going to have everything parked up here until the end of March when we start in Grays in Essex so I have about 4 weeks of mending stuff. Moving everything tomorrow night from Haydock. Yay, circus life. 

Got to get the Mot on the Mazda before the 12th March. I am fairly sure it's good but you never know. If anyone from around here could recommend an Mot garage it would be appreciated. @wuvvum  is from these parts I believe. Not sure who else. Insurance for the Maz has come down this year which I wasn't expecting. Only by about 6 quid but, hey, less is less innit like.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

I'm in Norwich parked up on the show ground. Another season of circus shite coming up. Not doing any shows here but going to have everything parked up here until the end of March when we start in Grays in Essex so I have about 4 weeks of mending stuff. Moving everything tomorrow night from Haydock. Yay, circus life. 

Got to get the Mot on the Mazda before the 12th March. I am fairly sure it's good but you never know. If anyone from around here could recommend an Mot garage it would be appreciated. @wuvvum  is from these parts I believe. Not sure who else. Insurance for the Maz has come down this year which I wasn't expecting. Only by about 6 quid but, hey, less is less innit like.

What's the route this year?

On 23/02/2024 at 21:06, jonathan_dyane said:

I did a spot!

Superb example, much want. Lots of excellent filler and rattle can work

IMG_20240223_151016.jpg

This lives half a mile from me, gets lovingly covered with a tarp every night by an old bloke , I've tried and failed to buy it 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, DeanH said:

What's the route this year?

The whole season hasn't been confirmed. So far it's Grays, 2 weeks, Swansea, 2 weeks, Sandown Race course, 1 week and Stevenage for a week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

The whole season hasn't been confirmed. So far it's Grays, 2 weeks, Swansea, 2 weeks, Sandown Race course, 1 week and Stevenage for a week.

Is your new friend still with you? Fingers X for the Maz.

11 minutes ago, reb said:

Spent the morning moving double figures of alloy wheels from my unit to my lockup.

I think I need to have a bit of a clearout of them!

Do you have anything that would fit the Polo?

Just come back from a few days in Amsterdam. Never been and it's only a short flight, so thought why not. Very interesting place and I think we'll go back sometime to explore more. Mostly did the main shopping area and a gander through De Wallen. I think my wife was more intrigued than I was - even if there was some ... beautiful architecture there. 🤔 🤣

PXL_20240223_202704045.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.8df33d1c2dad4060d5b45ebe7b3b496a.jpg

PXL_20240223_222231291.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.d4e5f9799e8c2aa76a84e7f1a6513cd1.jpg

Went to a few museums. Some good, most not brilliant. Highlight was the very interesting Red Light Secrets museum. Disappointment was the Anne Frank museum. 

Not a huge amount of interesting automotive stuff out there unsurprisingly. Did see a few 80s Saabs and Volvos parked up, but their location wasn't somewhere I could get away with taking a picture - I don't think taking old cars as an excuse would have worked. 

Anyway there was quite a few of these tiny quadracycles buzzing around on the cycle lanes. Tbh less dangerous than the many high powered e-bikes carving up the lanes. 

PXL_20240223_144027187.thumb.jpg.a37b39941bc71f66131c95dde7b1921b.jpg

PXL_20240223_1355458382.thumb.jpg.7e97c7bd98760354d656fce8590f86a9.jpg

Also quite a few electric car brands about that I've never heard of. Presumably the Chinese automotive invasion in action?

PXL_20240223_202526510.thumb.jpg.261d57fc8438b543d6fa3eef4e0c311f.jpg

This is a terrible picture as it's just a reflection of me but can Google the brand. These shops are on the main high streets and take up a lot of retail space. So these brand must be going all in.

PXL_20240222_110231048.thumb.jpg.866f278b1c169b26979a52648665a67c.jpg

Presumably this beetle hit a tin can in the road, crumpled and became an art installation?

PXL_20240222_104416151.thumb.jpg.248f82fb860ae01b9427df415c53b45d.jpg

PXL_20240222_104410489.thumb.jpg.93e6f307eb2ef5bd4fa8d05daac25e60.jpg

Old tram appeared on Saturday in the square. Didn't see this around until yesterday so I guess only comes out for weekends.

PXL_20240224_105720382.thumb.jpg.958ed681b003fef723c90e53433eade4.jpg

PXL_20240224_105733992.thumb.jpg.179409b1c0b811be74f6af3165dcfc87.jpg

Quite a lot of the city stank of weed. Reminds me of University and doesn't bother me. However my wife hates it - not helped by the smell being ingrained into her mind that it's a welfare issue at work and something she needs to note down. So not the best smell brain contentions.

PXL_20240222_105614709.thumb.jpg.cc2be994fa72d66bc7fe84c4da4af6c0.jpg

Bunch of 20-somethings Welsh lads in the queue to board the plane stank of weed and looked still stoned as they boarded. Naturally as they walked through the customs nothing to declare, they were picked out and went very wide eyed quite quickly. Rather silly considering customs will know exactly when a flight comes in from Amsterdam and will be like shooting fish in a barrel. We had to wait an hour for the bus, so hung around the airport. Didn't see them coming back out of departures door... 😂

Anyway definitely will be back to explore more. 

Rufford Ford

IMG_20240225_130548060.thumb.jpg.3229b93f913caced589f15f0e20a3cc5.jpg

Shame really. As a local kid I'd always want my dad to drive through as fast as possible. Then when you were in Rufford Park you'd always cheer when a vehicle went through at speed or stand on the bridge and play chicken to avoid a soaking.

• Sad 1

The shad would actually like to drink 100 octane fuel. Best i can do in town is 95 but this nearby station does 97 E5, so stopped whilst i was passing earlier…

IMG_5500.thumb.jpeg.5e8e0e1c04a350dc57ab55bfe1b2e8e2.jpeg

GLUG GLUG BURP!

I used the sedan about ten times last year, if that. Couple of shows and runs on nice days. 

Coming out the house to it every day, I felt bad looking at it. It wanted for nothing, but left me lacking enthusiasm, and I've been taking my hatch Civic out over it every time. Drove it around Christmas and it felt weird. Not right, I'd fallen out of love with it. I drove it again on Valentine's day and I just knew it wasn't right any more. The Yaris has taken up its practical side, and the hatch Civic my passion and the fun side. What use was it to me?

My friend needed to borrow a car. I lent it out, 'cause I trust her with it. 

And well, she's ended up keeping it, cause she loves it. I've got my money back on it and it's gone on to a great home where I'll still see it about. Driving around with it there with me is surreal, but it's the right thing. I'm glad it's being used and that I get to vicariously enjoy it. 

It's in good hands, it's with a certain Favorit owner who doesn't do things by halves...

It's been a sweet two and a half years. But sometimes, if you love things, you need to set them free. 

PXL_20240223_193524394.jpg

• Like 8

19 hours ago, omegod said:

This lives half a mile from me, gets lovingly covered with a tarp every night by an old bloke , I've tried and failed to buy it 

I did have a word with the owner and later thought I should have asked him if he might want to sell it to me now or in the future, now I feel better for not having done so

4 hours ago, SiC said:

Just come back from a few days in Amsterdam. Never been and it's only a short flight, so thought why not. Very interesting place and I think we'll go back sometime to explore more. Mostly did the main shopping area and a gander through De Wallen. I think my wife was more intrigued than I was - even if there was some ... beautiful architecture there. 🤔 🤣

PXL_20240223_202704045.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.8df33d1c2dad4060d5b45ebe7b3b496a.jpg

PXL_20240223_222231291.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.d4e5f9799e8c2aa76a84e7f1a6513cd1.jpg

Went to a few museums. Some good, most not brilliant. Highlight was the very interesting Red Light Secrets museum. Disappointment was the Anne Frank museum. 

Not a huge amount of interesting automotive stuff out there unsurprisingly. Did see a few 80s Saabs and Volvos parked up, but their location wasn't somewhere I could get away with taking a picture - I don't think taking old cars as an excuse would have worked. 

Anyway there was quite a few of these tiny quadracycles buzzing around on the cycle lanes. Tbh less dangerous than the many high powered e-bikes carving up the lanes. 

PXL_20240223_144027187.thumb.jpg.a37b39941bc71f66131c95dde7b1921b.jpg

PXL_20240223_1355458382.thumb.jpg.7e97c7bd98760354d656fce8590f86a9.jpg

Also quite a few electric car brands about that I've never heard of. Presumably the Chinese automotive invasion in action?

PXL_20240223_202526510.thumb.jpg.261d57fc8438b543d6fa3eef4e0c311f.jpg

This is a terrible picture as it's just a reflection of me but can Google the brand. These shops are on the main high streets and take up a lot of retail space. So these brand must be going all in.

PXL_20240222_110231048.thumb.jpg.866f278b1c169b26979a52648665a67c.jpg

Presumably this beetle hit a tin can in the road, crumpled and became an art installation?

PXL_20240222_104416151.thumb.jpg.248f82fb860ae01b9427df415c53b45d.jpg

PXL_20240222_104410489.thumb.jpg.93e6f307eb2ef5bd4fa8d05daac25e60.jpg

Old tram appeared on Saturday in the square. Didn't see this around until yesterday so I guess only comes out for weekends.

PXL_20240224_105720382.thumb.jpg.958ed681b003fef723c90e53433eade4.jpg

PXL_20240224_105733992.thumb.jpg.179409b1c0b811be74f6af3165dcfc87.jpg

Quite a lot of the city stank of weed. Reminds me of University and doesn't bother me. However my wife hates it - not helped by the smell being ingrained into her mind that it's a welfare issue at work and something she needs to note down. So not the best smell brain contentions.

PXL_20240222_105614709.thumb.jpg.cc2be994fa72d66bc7fe84c4da4af6c0.jpg

Bunch of 20-somethings Welsh lads in the queue to board the plane stank of weed and looked still stoned as they boarded. Naturally as they walked through the customs nothing to declare, they were picked out and went very wide eyed quite quickly. Rather silly considering customs will know exactly when a flight comes in from Amsterdam and will be like shooting fish in a barrel. We had to wait an hour for the bus, so hung around the airport. Didn't see them coming back out of departures door... 😂

Anyway definitely will be back to explore more. 

Ah yes, Amsterdam. Home to some of the best museums in the world (Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, Van Gough museum), and some of the worst (The Sex museum). The Heineken experience is good though, and The Louwman museum is a great car museum in the hauge, not too far away.

I used to travel to Amsterdam semi regularly with work, and getting off the first flight of the day with a load of lads and ladettes wondering where to get high, have a steak and giggle at wimmin in a window was always something.

With all of the activities, I would recommend a visit to all, just visit some of the former museums. Amsterdam is trying to clean up its act, and seems to be semi working. Either or, good city break.

5 hours ago, SiC said:

Presumably the Chinese automotive invasion in action?

Vietnamese. VinGroup is a big deal in Asia Pacific. I have done a bit of work for them but it's very boring. 

Well jell of your Amsterdam mission. What a great city. 

• Like 2

Agreed on the Heineken Experience being worth a visit, NEMO science museum in the Oosterdok is good too, and the Kattenkabinet is great for cat lovers. 

I'm over that way a few times a year with work and its a good place to visit, once you've been a few times the young Americans (though fewer in number since weed was decriminalised in many states) and twat head brits abroad are easily spotted and avoided. Speaking a smattering of Dutch seems to get you a lot of credit with locals and shopkeepers too.

IIRC 'Vinfast' are actually a Vietnamese electric car startup/company?

The Canta microcars are spectacularly shite and I think they're great! 

41 minutes ago, JakeT said:

Ah yes, Amsterdam. Home to some of the best museums in the world (Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House, Van Gough museum), and some of the worst (The Sex museum). The Heineken experience is good though, and The Louwman museum is a great car museum in the hauge, not too far away.

I used to travel to Amsterdam semi regularly with work, and getting off the first flight of the day with a load of lads and ladettes wondering where to get high, have a steak and giggle at wimmin in a window was always something.

With all of the activities, I would recommend a visit to all, just visit some of the former museums. Amsterdam is trying to clean up its act, and seems to be semi working. Either or, good city break.

Only over there for two full days, so limited on what we could pack in.

We went to the following museums/attractions:

- Red Light Secrets: excellent and very interesting

- Erotic museum: crap

- Sex museum: was recommended here but it was crap. Out dated and not very interesting

- Royal Palace Amsterdam: okay and a few spectacular sights. Tbh I've been to a few national trust properties in the UK that are just as impressive too. 

- Dungeon Amsterdam: not a museum and more of a tourist attraction (it's a Merlin attraction after all). Good fun and enjoyed it

- Anne Frank museum: had high expectations for this and it thoroughly disappointed. Probably a controversial opinion. However it felt like it's basically "Here is her house. Have a wander through the empty rooms (but don't stop too long as many people flow through) and make sure you buy a copy at the end". You look around and its a facsimile of the original property. Fresh paint, panelling and even wallpaper makes it feel a reproduction rather than a historic property. It was a horrific and tragic event that's in a historically significant building, but it just doesn't do it justice. Not even as a memorial. It was probably a good 25yrs ago since I read her diary (at school) so I don't remember much but . Only the bare basics were covered (including the pre tour presentation we paid extra for) and nothing covered her/their experience or time when there. A very impersonal experience that I feel younger generations won't click with if they just went around it.

Honestly I'm not an art museum type. Much more for my older ("professional" artist) sister on the other hand loves to stare at art pieces. 😅

Science and technical museums much more my thing. Probably go round them if we go back. Cheap flights and now we know the city better means we might go a bit further out where it's cheaper and different places to explore. 

We flew back yesterday evening and didn't bother stopping the Saturday. It was a lot more expensive to stop another day with flights+hotel and I reckoned it would feel very different being there at the weekend. Wandering around the city on the Friday night confirmed that. My wife felt uncomfortable with the crowds but tbh it just felt like a night in any UK city. (Tbh she's not really gone out in a city in an evening for years). Just with the ladies in the window and weed being openly sold in a shop. 

• Like 2

Looks like the latest Bini is a keeper - had an interesting day tinkering and fettling various body parts (fnar! fnar!). 
Paperwork shows a new short engine fitted in 2018 @ 88K miles with some interesting previous history that suggests maybe a DPF gutting that failed and killed a turbo/engine. It has EOLYS in the tank and reader shows a recent regen so I'm guessing no remap was done back then. 

Swapped the 205/45/17s  for the much tamer 175/65/15s that were in the shed. The weight difference is very, very noticeable when fitting/removing them and the ride quality is much less harsh.  It's not going to be as stickable to the corners but it's a commuting hack - cheap tax and circa 60 mpg wins the day there.

Whilst looking for my drill I remembered I had this buried somewhere, freebie from my old job, hopefully this will resolve the issue with the galaxy

20240225_215625.jpg

This bush in the front garden apparently decided yesterday that it was spring and therefore time to burst into flower.

20240224_142510.thumb.jpg.d196714bafb463d1f16ab528f8f7f0ae.jpg

It may have regretted that decision this morning.

20240225_080716.thumb.jpg.81379cabee68b429f1fd0d3d757435f4.jpg

Went to see a mate on Friday night and he gave me a present.

20240224_141918.thumb.jpg.a6bc33e9d2f5e169da5abfedd4f42881.jpg

A 3D jigsaw puzzle in the shape of an essentially complete but broken (snapped crank - TADTS apparently) Vespa GT125.  I really didn't need another two-wheeled project, but it was free so I couldn't really say no!  I've not done anything with it yet though, I've not even got it out of the back of the Zafira yet.  I did have a bit of a tinker with the Lexmoto today (one of the other two-wheeled projects) and got the headlight working - not got the tail light working yet as I ran out of daylight but that should just be a question of finding the correct wire from the back of the bike and joining it up.

The 75 is in for its MOT tomorrow morning so I gave it a quick look over - couldn't see any obvious fails but was a little surprised at how bad the front tyres have got - one is at around 2.5mm and the other still has loads of tread but is starting to crack.  So I'm going to have to fork out for another pair of tyres for it fairly soon - it had a great pair of nearly new tyres on the front but they both got nommed when the springs snapped.  Handbrake is still shite but it always has been and always seems to pass so fingers crossed it will again.  I even gave it a quick hoover out as it was pretty grim inside.