Stripped Fred - fleet news - S type fixed itself

stripped fred

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing too exciting to report apart from the Astra is doing it's thing and I love driving it. It gets so many things right. I don't actually find it slow anymore as I'm now dialled into it. It keeps up with traffic fine and the engine feels strong and pulls well with no lag, as you'd expect. It's more comfortable and spacious than my Alfa too so I'm using it as a daily at the moment. The headlining is getting lower by the day so need to buy some drawing pins as that seems the accepted cure. It's booked in for it's MOT next week so just waiting to see if this is a brief romance or a lasting relationship. It's quite crusty at it's arse end.

The temp guage on the Astra has never really moved in the few weeks I've been driving it. Then, yesterday, after a few miles on the motorway and then crawling in traffic I looked and it was just above 90. A few mins later after resuming normal progress it was below 45. It then went back to barely above the blue a little while later. Does this point to a knackered thermostat?

I'm currently camping for a night with my son and the Astra is proving an excellent support vehicle easily swallowing all the camping gear and bikes. It's really comfy and enjoyable to drive too. I've not bonded with a car as much as this in a while.

post-19517-0-20966200-1441480115_thumb.jpg

The temp guage on the Astra has never really moved in the few weeks I've been driving it. Then, yesterday, after a few miles on the motorway and then crawling in traffic I looked and it was just above 90. A few mins later after resuming normal progress it was below 45. It then went back to barely above the blue a little while later. Does this point to a knackered thermostat?

I'm currently camping for a night with my son and the Astra is proving an excellent support vehicle easily swallowing all the camping gear and bikes. It's really comfy and enjoyable to drive too. I've not bonded with a car as much as this in a while.

no it sounds like the fan switch is sticking on- my vecturd used to do it, fan kicks in and dont go off temp goes down and the feckin fan still runs with key out! i used to have to open and drop the bonnet to break switch contact until it got changed

alll voxhells r shite etc...

Went to start the beast this morning to leave the campsite and it just kept turning over with no ignition. After a few minutes with the starter barely turning over it finally chugged into life. I think I need to look into changing the glow plugs and/or glow plug relay before winter. The previous owner told me to turn the ignition on and off a few times as the light only stays on for a second each time but it's still not the quickest to start.

First brim to brim fuel calc indicates just shy of 47mpg which is mainly short journeys and me pressing on a bit so I'm very pleased with that!

The Astra is still providing reliable and enjoyable service. I've been using it daily as I prefer it to my Alfa. Been using it for work and tip runs. It's a great workhorse. It failed its mot this week on a couple of bulbs and some welding to the front n/s which wasn't too bad. I've already been in touch with Al Bundy off here and he's going to sort it for me. There's a lot of rust at the back which got an advisory and she (yes, not seen a woman mot tester before) said it would probably fail on this next year. To sort this would cost several hundred £'s so not sure if it's worth doing. I might just try and rustproof it for the moment. Also the brake pipes and power steering pipes are corroded so i'll rub them down and grease them.

I had a gander under the bonnet today and it's nice to be to able to see everything as there's plenty of space in the engine bay. I've located the glow plugs so I'll get some on order and set about changing them which I think is within my capabilities. I'm assuming spray them with wd40 and leave overnight? I'll also give it an oil change and also swap the thermostat when I can find out where it is!

post-19517-0-85568300-1441918068_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

My latest smallish fleet update:

MR2

Spending winter in my parents garage. I did less than 500 miles in it last year and it cost me about the same in pounds to get it through the MOT and tax, insure etc.  My sensible self says to sell it as i really don't get the benefit out of it.  However, i have owned this car for 11 years and we've been through a lot together.  It has been well looked after and every one of those 500 miles brought a smile to my face.  Also, i would only waste the money raised.  Every year i go through this same thought process....

Astra estate

This car feels so right!  On the face of it it's a pretty worthless, underpowered mainstream car from the 90's but i love driving it.  The engine may not have a lot of power but it is eager and has enough torque to keep up with (most) traffic. It is geared so right too.  It's proving an excellent workhorse carting building products and doing tip runs.  I would gladly drive this car from lands end to john o'groats.  I have to flick the glow plug light on about 5 times to get it to start cleanly but it never fails me.  I will treat it to some new ones soon along with a service.  This one's a keeper! (at least until i change my mind)

Alfa 156

I've had this nearly 2 years and it is a marmite car.  On the right day and road it feels wonderful. Beautiful to look at. The fastest car i have ever owned and a responsive chassis.  Lovely interior and bursting with character.  After a long day at work though it can become tiring due to firm leather seats and stiff ride. Maybe i'm getting old. It's also a bit small inside for my needs and i find it hard to work on being a bit too modern and has a cramped engine bay.  Although i hate selling cars that is what i intend to do with this in the next few weeks.  Well, that's the plan.

Peugeot 406

Bought this from fellow autoshiter Mike D last weekend.  I plan to use it as my daily car once i've addressed a few issues which i knew about such as new tyres, airbag light and brake pad light.  I've only driven it back from Grimsby but in that time it had a similar feeling of rightness as my Astra just on a bigger scale and it really is big!  Too big to fit in my council garage so it is now parked up outside the front of it.  I keep walking the dog that way to check it's ok which my girlfriend thinks is daft as 'it's only a £200 car'.  Not the point!  In my brief drive i felt at home with it.  Just enough power and being a GLX it has electric seats (a first for me) and decent stereo and is so comfy!  Looking forward to getting it on the road.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on the 406 which I've been using for a couple of weeks now. Time enough to work out what's OK about it and what I need to look at. I'll start with the good bits.

It's big! So much space in there. The kids have loads more leg room and it will swallow any amount of stuff in the back. Takes extra care parking on the street though. Have already given one car a friendly nudge...

It drives well. Enough torque around town, hapy at legal limit and only lacks power for overtaking so I don't bother. Smooth engine too although there is a very slight whine when revved. Alternator? Water pump? Requires further investigation.

Managed to get rid of the airbag light by turning on the airbag for the passenger side with the key. Easy fix that one.

Horn doesn't work. Managed to eventually find the horn itself under the o/s headlight but was unable to reach it. Had to leave that due to promise of trip to Ikea. It's in for it's mot on Friday so they will have to sort it.

Spent half a day stripping brakes to try and get rid of warning light for low pads and shite handbrake. Failed on both counts but did establish that all discs and pads are OK.

I've done a few other minor jobs on it and will change oil etc soon. I will have to ask the garage to sort anything else required for mot due to lack of time and horrible weather/lack of daylight/novelty of lying on drive wearing off now.

I'm trying to run this on bangernomic principles. However, it will get 4 new tyres soon as existing ones a bit shite/bald and they are cheap enough on tyreleader with Uniroyal's at £33 a corner. The other question is timing belt roulette. Current thinking is to leave it as it's a cheap, disposable car and maybe have a go in the spring myself as changing a cambelt is on my bucket list.

For now I will enjoy smoking about in this very cheap car and stick two fingers up at every PCP and financed car I pass. PS. Does anyone have a Hayne's manual they can sell me? ;)

If you're going to do it yourself I'd say a cambelt kit is a worthwhile investment.

I did my Berlingo this summer, same engine.

It's pretty simple as cambelts go, no special tools required just a couple of 8mm bolts or similar to lock the engine.

Access isn't amazing but you can get to everything my raising and lowering the engine.

I think I paid about £65 for the cambelt kit with water pump so worth it compared to the potential cost if it goes.

For a Haynes manual, as long as you're not averse to a bit of piracy I'd expect there to be a pdf version online somewhere. :)