Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

End of the Westway with traffic from the Harrow Road pushing in so as to use the Marylebone Flyover - early 1980s. Paddington Basin is over to the left and that was a total dump back then. Wharf Road was cut in two by the Westway - here's a picture from the old GWR stables in what is now South Wharf Road - I was told that is was once the biggest urban stables in Europe - no idea if that's true.
Stables got disinfected and turned into part of the adjacent St Mary's Hospital

[edit] - my memory needs a rebore. Nth and Sth Wharf road have the canal running between them - they've always been seperate.
r/london - a person standing next to horses

13 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

End of the Westway with traffic from the Harrow Road pushing in so as to use the Marylebone Flyover - early 1980s. Paddington Basin is over to the left and that was a total dump back then. Wharf Road was cut in two by the Westway - here's a picture from the old GWR stables in what is now South Wharf Road - I was told that is was once the biggest urban stables in Europe - no idea if that's true.
Stables got disinfected and turned into part of the adjacent St Mary's Hospital
r/london - a person standing next to horses

Horse ramp for getting the horses off.  The one in Deptford still survives and is Grade II Listed. You, or indeed your horse, can still use it.

2 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Horse ramp for getting the horses off.  The one in Deptford still survives and is Grade II Listed. You, or indeed your horse, can still use it.

That one is also still there (handy for wheelchairs - maybe a bit steep)?)
The police stables in Great Scotland Yard have their ramp internal to the building - I saw it when it was being renovated around 1994 - all the stables there are on the first floor- (allegedly) in case of flooding.

I worked around Central London 1981 - 1997 and, now, regret the fact that I didn't give a tinker's cuss for any of the history of where I was working - that era seems to have slipped from history - too young to have been properly curated and too old to have hit the internet/digital camera age.  A lot of the buildings have been demolished, often re-demolished in the property treadmill that we seem to have as an economy these days.