Madman Of The People

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

17 April 2015 update.

1959 Edsel Ranger.

QNzatB3l.jpg

D64wQTLl.jpg

VHjg4uVl.jpg

Unmolested Mk II Golf GTI.  A rarity these days.

FPLJO3jl.jpg

t0hp28tl.jpg

Land Rover Defender 110.  It doesn't have the exoskeleton-style roll cage, which means its not one of the 500 US-spec examples sold by Land Rover for the 1993 model year.

L7u0wrrl.jpg

It doesn't have the cage because it's not a 110.

It's a leaf sprung 109 that dates from between 1958 and 1985. The front wings don't have the air intake so likely a Series 2 or 2a (1958-1971) but do have lower indicators and recessed headlights making me think 69-71.

The doors are 110 two-piece items from 84-88 and I think that's a Defender bulkhead.

There's lots of dodginess involving Defenders imported to America. Since they became fashionable and worth shitloads, people have been ringing late 110's onto over 25 year old identities.

In some states the authorities are getting pissed off with the blatant selling of brand new Defenders as 25 years old ones for over $100,000.

This one could be someone that's put a bit more effort into his ringing so as to avoid thispost-17414-0-75813100-1429350474_thumb.jpgpost-17414-0-96756300-1429350486_thumb.jpg

The white one is definitely an old one, its on leaf springs so the chassis is at least 25 years old.

But I have two questions for the US authorities:

Is a newish 110 really so different from a 25 year old one?

To the point where this is such a huge problem?

1984_land_rover_defender_110_county_stat land-rover-defender-110-2-2d-xs-89333617

In comparison...

7946083320_de2324d30a_z.jpgFord-Focus-2015-hd.jpg

And secondly, have you really got nothing better to do?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to usurp Mr. MOTP's but here are a few pics from a recent visit to a local junkyard here on the left coast.

I wanted to get a set of the SD1 wheels but would have needed to get the two off the white one to make up a set but the fucktards wouldn't sell them to me.

post-19583-0-28583300-1431838332_thumb.jpg

post-19583-0-60139900-1431838343_thumb.jpg

I think it's that cars over 25 years old don't have to have airbags, and the Federal and State governments seem to have so many employees I bet a lot of them really haven't got anything to do let alone anything better. Nice to see fat VOSA equivalent types get a gun too.

Not quite... if the car was imported to the US in the same model year that you are trying to import it would have to meet all of the  regulations then in place.  Once it's over a certain age it's exempt from DOT (25 years) and EPA requirements (21 years), but it must then pass scrutiny in the state you want to register it - there are no Defenders or 110s that will meet the smog requirements in California because the 110 wasn't introduced until 1983 and to make it compliant with the California 1983 standard would be financially ruinous.  Wanna know how I know?  Answers on a postcard to "why the fuck did you only read the federal regs and not state regs?", C/O the Beeb, London W12

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

14 May 2016 Update!

Wow, has it really been seven months since I last updated this thread?

Okay, let's make up for lost time!

Volkswagen T3, called the Vanagon over here.  Driving on a dealer plate.

6g1WHLOl.jpg

Dodge Dart.

gtdLudIl.jpg

UMIG8RNl.jpg

Ogy5vCIl.jpg

xISJclRl.jpg

Canadian-spec Chevrolet Orlando.  These were never sold in the USA.

uEJinvIl.jpg

Gorgeous E-Type.  Not shite at all but too beautiful not to share!

EaOxQCyl.jpg

95S5OkGl.jpg

iXyl5kTl.jpg

D8Fiquwl.jpg

FbE0O3Gl.jpg

pR1wLdal.jpg

Porker Panamera.

GKc0FJJl.jpg

tpWfqiEl.jpg

Beetle.

afGesNCl.jpg

Rollin' in his Eldorado ragtop!

UFymAQel.jpg

MGB.

e9NyTw4l.jpg

2NMY6aNl.jpg

Buick Electra.

RInowwgl.jpg

Rare vintage Nissan,  I never thought I would ever say those words!  But seriously, when was the last time you've seen one of these?

oI6hntfl.jpg

MhREuSyl.jpg

Old and new 'Stangs.

JecoDP9l.jpg

e72VJxxl.jpg

I was a bit surprised to see this, considering the whole VW diesel scandal being in the news.

cLSXgJ5l.jpg

C7T6OPul.jpg

Just another grocery-getter type car parked in front of the supermarket......

qHXFfQOl.jpg

CblTqBjl.jpg

RELBqLal.jpg

T9gDA5Ol.jpg

CbjB1Ehl.jpg

1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman with the optional four-headlight system.  This option was only available in states where separate low and high beam headlights were legal.  By 1958, four-headlight set-ups were legal in all of the (then) 48 states.

au0srF7l.jpg

QCMKd2Jl.jpg

32LzM10l.jpg

X48ZuMVl.jpg

BibcQJol.jpg

j0pRfe1l.jpg

5qumw0nl.jpg

Very nice!

May I ask if there are any Buick Park Avenues like the one I own still on the road in the US? Or have they all gone the way mine will go because of rust and electronical failures?

I dont think that it´s a car with a following, or is it? 

Park Avenues like yours really don't have anything resembling a "following" in the US, although the 3800 V6 is renowned for it's durability.  Keep in mind, these cars are getting old now and they weren't that particularly well made in the first place.  The engine may have been a simple design dating back to the early 1960s but the rest of the car was built to shoddy 1990s GM standards.

Also consider cars like your Park Avenue we marketed to, and bought almost exclusively by old people.  And relatively well-off grey-hairs across America loved them!  As a result, they were never seen as being "cool" by the enthusiast community.  As these cars got older and the grandparents became too old and feeble to drive, they were often passed down to the teen-aged grandchildren so they could learn to drive.  Of course, the last thing any teenager wanted was to be seen in Grandma and Grandpa's old Geezermobile and treated the cars like the unwanted relics they were, hence the low survival rate today.

I still see a few of the later-style early 2000s Park Avenue and the closely related LeSable.  In fact, I know a guy in his '60s who bought an early 2000s LeSabre from a used car beater merchant because cars like these are dirt-cheap these days.

Checking my local Autotrader and I see there are no Park Avenues for sale with a 50 mile radius of the beautiful and majestic Casa del Madman, but I did find a 2008 Buick Lucerne (successor to the Park Avenue) going for $7,900.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=37221&endYear=2017&modelCode1=LUCERNE&showcaseOwnerId=68726799&makeCode1=BUICK&startYear=1981&listingType=used&firstRecord=0&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=50&showcaseListingId=423935800&mmt=%5BBUICK%5BLUCERNE%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=428292302&Log=0

I checked the private listings on Craigslist and found a 1996 Park Avenue with 183K miles, peeling clearcoat and trashed interior for $1,100.  The 1990s-era Park Avenues that still remain will typically look like this.

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/5578353246.html

Yours may be an exotic unicorn in Europe but they were disposable, throw-away appliances over here.  American cars from the '90 were pretty awful and even most Americans don't want them anymore.  As ever, the few that survive will someday become collectible.

they were never seen as being "cool" by the enthusiast community.  As these cars got older and the grandparents became too old and feeble to drive, they were often passed down to the teen-aged grandchildren so they could learn to drive.  Of course, the last thing any teenager wanted was to be seen in Grandma and Grandpa's old Geezermobile and treated the cars like the unwanted relics they were, hence the low survival rate today.

Yours may be an exotic unicorn in Europe but they were disposable, throw-away appliances over here.  American cars from the '90 were pretty awful and even most Americans don't want them anymore.  As ever, the few that survive will someday become collectible.

...which all suggests you're doing the right thing Lukas - good work!

(of course, if you get so sick of its foibles that you decide to let it go, then...meh)