Driving classic cars not fun anymore?

garellikatia

+1 for state of roads and other drivers. 

I drive my Carlton to work most days. It’s a 4 mile chicane of bad road repairs, potholes, broken manhole covers and sometimes broken speed bumps. Then there’s the average builder or office worker that didn’t bother leaving 10 minutes earlier and is now sat your bumper while you’re 5 over the limit because it’s quiet and your speedo it reading high anyway….. last week I had an argument with a branded property maintenance van because he was trying to force me out of a merge lane. The prick had no care that he was CMs away from taking my rear quarter out. Makes me want to get rid and buy a cheap banger. But why should I? 

In my Scirocco, I tend to use the headlights much more than is actually required,  just to ensure that other folk can see a grey/silver car that's just 1, 300cm tall. On the other hand. I love parking it at Sainsbury where I can tuck it right back into a space between two monster suvs where it becomes totally invisible to people looking for a parking spot.

Last year I couldn't wait to get the Saab convertible out and about (not just in good weather). This year I'm a bit "meh" about it. It creaks and rattles, scuttle shake is starting to annoy me and it's shit on a B road although fast out of roundabouts on dual carriageways.

Maybe a change of car might inspire you. That's what I hope happens with me anyway. 

I love classics for the exact reason they're rattly and buzzy and bouncy. You feel connected to the road and what's happening. Admittedly the roads are crap but it's all very mechanical. You're so disconnected from driving in modern cars. I wouldn't even be able to tell you what gear I'm in in the Porsche because a computer handles it for me. In my Minis I know because the valves are tapping there way through the bonnet like a angry hornet in a can.

It also helps that one of my Minis is way more than capable of keeping up with modern sports cars 😅

On 27/04/2024 at 20:25, Dyslexic Viking said:

Maybe it's time to try other classic cars and maybe switch to another one?

This might be a thing to try. I was mini through and through, thought I’d always have one in my life but truthfully I’m not sure if I’ll ever have another. 
I'm not sure if it’s the car or perhaps I’m just at a better age/place to appreciate the overall experience now.

i do know that at this age if I did have another mini I’d have to do something about the suspension, I was never a fan of it in normal driving. 

I follow a chap on instagram who runs a bagged mini, no idea if this improves ride quality but I’d love to try one out. 😄

I think the problem is the attitude of other drivers. There is always someone up your arse willing you to get that old banger out of the way, regardless of your speed. I would love to live in a part of the country that has open traffic free roads, instead of the manic south east. I agree there is also the sense of vulnerability. Both my Wolseley and my Eunos feel tiny against modern traffic.

It's an absolute highlight for me. To the point where I'm on a downer at the moment ad I'm half way through work on it so can't drive it. Mine drives really well to be fair almost modern in the way it goes about its job. Lovely gearbox, pulls well, rides and handles well.

Maybe it's just a case of wrong car @garellikatia? Just lost the love for minis?

20230804_194257.jpg.46ffd358d2c503047e4ca44f129f2907.jpg

One of the rationales behind the purchase of my new* Astra is that it is one of the first 'modern' cars ever sold in the UK. It doesn't have a wheezy engine that sounds shit and won't rev past 5000rpm, it has coil spring suspension (from memory very soft and floaty, but probably ideal for potholes), it has proper heating and doesn't leak. They weren't dreadfully thirsty by 80s carbed petrol engine standards either (40-42 mpg).

On the other hand it lacks ABS, airbags, side protection bars, rear seatbelts and the string on the furry dice has snapped.  

On 27/04/2024 at 09:54, garellikatia said:

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this? 

I took the mini out for a drive last night, and the last few times if driven it  its been a massive anticlimax.

not sure whether this is an age related thing as ive become less patient as time goes on, but I used to love driving the mini as a teenager! But i fail to get anywhere near the same satisfaction these days

The querks that I used to find endearing about driving a classic I find quite irritating now. 

My indicator flasher stopped,   no big deal, but the constant bumps, rattles and people up my arse while I'm going obviously slower over speed bumps etc... really got my back up. It used to smell quite bad of fumes which I've sorted now, but the stench of the un- catalytic fumes of the old thing while idling  also started to get on my nerves.

The car is in great condition and well looked after, its just the character of driving an older car really. I'm now so used to driving a modern classic such as the SLK that I don't know whether I'll ever get the same level of enjoyment out of driving a proper old classic anymore. 

It's almost like been over stimulated with everything going on at once In the car, wondering whether these days I prefer a level of refinement. 

I know what you mean.

Yesterday I took the Maestro on a ~25 mile drive, it was OK but noisy and bumpy. Both of these things are my fault really, I fitted a (loud) stainless exhaust and 'rally' adjustable shocks. But I agree about the fumes while idling.

It was spitting with rain yesterday as well, so I got to experience the Lucas wipers in all their glory*. It reminded me of an old school bus I used to ride in that had (I think) vacuum operated wipers that were completely shit.

Think share your sentiments OP. 

Here in Rome I have use of a 02 Berlingo HDI as well as my own 2023 Lancia Ypsilon. In the first six months of ownership of the Lancia I had only put about 600 km on it (by comparison, in the last 6 months I've put about 7k km on it). Given the choice I always took the keys to the Bingo, but eventually got sick of its quirks. There is a lot to be said for a decent heater, decent brakes, nice tight gear change etc. 

One of the beauties of older cars is that the tyres actually had sidewalls. With the state of the roads at the moment, they at least, have some chance of surviving the potholed mess that we are forced to drive on at the moment. My personal favorite era is either turn of the century, late 90's/early 2000's or late 50's/early 60's. The later cars have most of the safety features of moderns, ABS, airbags, side impact bars and crumple zones as well as the comfort features such as aircon, power steering, electric windows and central locking. For some reason I just cannot find much enthusiasm for 80's/90's stuff. [Unless of course, it is a Lotus Carlton]. 

I’m fully subscribed to the classic car experience I’m afraid! No matter what they are far superior to modern crap.

Sure, you get some days where the weather doesn’t play ball and ruins things, other people on the road can be absolute cunts too, but my overwhelming experience of driving classics is a good one. 
In my last job I had a company Sprinter van and that attracted far worse driver attitudes than my classics hands down!

I love the way old stuff drives, feels and looks and tbh, once I’ve got the problems they inevitably have in old age sorted they’ve been perfectly reliable and no trouble. Maybe, as others have said, it’s the choice of classic that’s your issue? 
A Mini is something I’d love to have personally but generally I go for bigger cars just because it’s what I like, but you don’t get that intimidation when in something bigger, and generally they’re much more comfortable and better equipped.

My ‘go to’ car for anything is an 88 Volvo 740. It’s definitely a classic now imho but it’s also capable of being used for anything a modern car can do - commuting/domestic duty’s/tip runs/long distance runs, it never misses a beat but it’s also fun to drive! It’s got old car seats so they’re actually comfortable to sit in (unlike modern cars rock hard church pews!) a big engine that’s mounted the right way round, rear drive, big and square… it’s great! 
IMG_1239.jpeg.2e6a241e1bf15c49181b0557950da3ef.jpeg

The Capri is a bit different, granted I’ve not used it much since doing a bare metal resto but I’ve had that car since 2001 when I passed my test. It was my dream car as a kid and once I got it, it fits me like a glove! I’d never want to be without that car! It’s hard to describe but it just ‘works’ for me without fail. Every time I get in it or use it I enjoy it, even looking at it I still don’t get tired of it. Somehow it always seems to bring out the best in other people too, on the road it always gets looked at or you get thumbs up. People talk to you about it. 
IMG_2173.jpeg.0186f432150e6cea8f5e9efb7e71deb4.jpeg

The Mercury… well… you can’t miss that coming can you!? It’s old sure, but it’s still bigger than most other cars (and vans!) on the road! This never fails to deliver either. Being the type of car it is from the US it’s enormous and superbly comfortable to drive. Almost as if it was designed to be driven all day long across a big country! 
But, it’s easily quick enough to drive in modern traffic, comfortable, you can baby it along and have a quiet relaxed Rolls Royce style waft or you can open it up and turn it into a roaring animal if you want to (and can afford the fuel!), there’s nothing like the driving experience these things offer tbh. Everyone on the road or out and about loves it too… like I said, you can’t miss a rig like this! In fact I can’t honestly remember ever having anyone tailgate me or behave like a twat while I was in it?!

IMG_1105.jpeg.b5f40ac8ab11c384627426739379b6d3.jpeg

Anyway, my advice is to try different things. Not all classics are the same - a long way from it. I don’t know where you are but there’s bound to be other people from on here near you. Maybe go try out their cars (if that’s ok!) or go to a few shiters meet ups and see if you can blag a ride or drive? 
It could just be that with age your tastes have changed a bit?

I only enjoy driving old shite in appropriate circumstances.

Took the Dolly to a meet in rural Fife yesterday. Running on a mix of A and B Roads, once I was off the busier roads where people sit right up my arse despite me doing over the speed limit and also having a line of cars in front it was good fun. Didn't have to be at the destination for any real time so pressure was off and could just enjoy the drive. Ride and handling is pretty poor by modern standards but then I wasn't expecting a sports car from a 50 year old economy saloon and I can still leave the usual weekend drivers in the dust on twisty bits...

Plodding along the motorway on the other hand is shit. If you're doing 60mph people fly by like you're stationary and it's quite disconcerting that they could wipe you out in a second if on the phone or faffing with the infotainment. If you're doing 75mph it's extra loud and you'll still have Range Rover Sports trying to kamikaze you as you try to pass lorries anyway. It can do it, it's perfectly capable, it's just not fun.

My Volvo 740 is my go-to car for motorway work. Lazy auto, high gearing, soft suspension, strikes a certain level of fear into other motorists. Not as connected to the road as an older car but a good vehicle for arriving at destinations without any drama while still being old enough to DIY.

I'm not sure if I could hack a Mini, they weren't exactly comfortable or refined even by the standards of 1959 and while I reckon I'd enjoy throwing one around some country lanes actually going places could be a chore. Perhaps something like a Cortina or Rover P6 would be worth a try?

Old Minis are one of the best and worst things to drive.

They are great for whizzing through town, getting loads of waves and smiles as you blat about. They are fun across the moors on the little narrow roads were the tourist fear to go.

They are utter shite when it's pissing with rain as they steam up and fill up with water. And if you are not feeling 100% or are in a slightly bad mood, you can guarantee that you will wish you took the bus and put up with all the old grannies paying with a back a 2 pence coins.

A good thing about Minis is you can buy just about any part for them to fix them. Another bad thing is, fitting those parts can be bloody awkward in teh engine bay, and a lot of the cheap Chinesium stuff needs a bit of fettling to fit right.

If you are feed up with the Mini, then try something a bit bigger or newer, but finding something that you can get the parts for if it needs fixing is always the major problem.

PS I'm guessing some readers are in their thirties and having to be a bit more responsible with young families and stuff. Just wait until you get into your forties and the mid-life crisis hits, you'll be looking at classic auctions and dreaming about old cars more than you dream about that yummie mummie you spotted at the school gates the other day.

Used to love fettling and driving the old stuff but after several hundreds of cars over the years it all became a bit of a chore tbh. 
Do have thoughts about a simple classic but going to shows and stuff no longer appeals. 
No garage and a knackered back doesn’t really help. 
Struggling to get the oomph even to fiddle with the Lupo without having to get someone in.

21 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

a knackered back doesn’t really help. 

Must admit, that is a bigger deal than many people think. If you don’t have the problem it’s probably not something you think about but when you do, it doesn’t half make things difficult! 
I can’t spend long at all bent over an engine bay now before it starts to hurt and I have to stop. I try to almost squat or lay on top of the engine etc now when I can. It must look hilarious! Failing that, I go as long as I can then stop and take a break but it’s still a real pain and it makes jobs take longer.

Look after your backs folks!

I still enjoy driving my classics, but I do have to be in the right mood.  To be fair the Volvo 164 doesn't really need much extra consideration (it has plenty of power, PAS, four disc brakes and decent crash protection) but in the Visa, Innocenti or Renault 6 I am always aware of what I am driving, how much it would hurt if I crashed and (in the case of the first two at least) how much slower they are than pretty much everything else on the road.

I used to happily jump into anything of any age without a second thought, but I'm definitely a bit less enthusiastic these days.  But then I'm generally a lot more "meh" about life in general than I used to be.

I still get great enjoyment from driving my 60 year old classic even though it has no power steering and struggles to do 20mpg, it’s still a pleasure to drive and keeps up with modern traffic though I tend to use it for local journeys.

I have a ‘modern’ classic Mercedes which is a mere 23 years old which I’ve done long journeys in, I’d drive it anywhere and it feels much more modern than it is.

On 27/04/2024 at 10:30, UltraWomble said:

All the fun* of owning a classic machine, oily weekends spannering, greasing, chasing rust.

If that isn't the first line of a Lambretta brochure, it bloody well should be.

My Beetle is great fun driving around town or on country lanes but it's no fun on dual carriageways so it hasn't really been any great distance.  It's not that  comfortable over 60 as it's bloody loud! I'm even considering selling it as it doesn't really get used enough. If I am going any distance for a show I would be in the camper. For anything else my Octavia is such a good daily. 

22 minutes ago, dave j said:

My Beetle is great fun driving around town or on country lanes but it's no fun on dual carriageways so it hasn't really been any great distance.  It's not that  comfortable over 60 as it's bloody loud! I'm even considering selling it as it doesn't really get used enough. If I am going any distance for a show I would be in the camper. For anything else my Octavia is such a good daily. 

I have to use carriageway and motorway to get to work when I use it for the commute and a lot of it is uphill. I’m always going faster than the R drivers which is too slow imo but I’ll admit the noise can be a bit wearing. No heat isn’t great either tbh. 😄

Neat coincidence seeing this thread after I used the Laurel for work today. First thing I've driven after not going anywhere whatsoever over the weekend. As proof, here it is outside the office:

image.jpeg.0b715d128de5f6bb02a26f9df64b5b6d.jpeg

It was admittedly a bit of a faff, getting it out of the garage and then going back in and finding a can of petrol when I realised it didn't have much fuel in it - I'd have been much better off using the RX or Carina E. But it was worth it, especially as I went the back way and drove it on roads where you can't sensibly go that fast (although the sporty Peugeot 309 driver I saw last week obviously didn't think the same way, given how fast he was going). Without getting all Troy Queef it was nice to be able to go up and down the gears, as it's the only one of my fleet with a manual 'box.

As seems to be the general consensus I wouldn't want to use it on dual carriageways, the motorway or in busy city traffic too often for similar reasons given above. But it has enough go not to embarrass itself, which is probably the difference compared to a Mini or the like (I found this when I had the cute little Datsun 1200, which I just didn't use enough).

The '90s LS400 and Carina E are in a different world of useability and I'll much more readily take them as an alternative to the RX.

To agree with what a few people have said here - old cars are rubbish. Whenever someone talks to me about the Sierra, I genuinely say (almost without taking breath) “Thanks - it’s shit”.

Because it is.

The endless cranking once the fuel has crept back into the tank, the fogging up, the rattles, the furious tickover when on choke, chasing rust, securing it blah blah - it’s endless. 

Also, I don’t find the car scene particularly enjoyable. Let’s face it, classic car meets are full of absolute bungle cunts and also kids being YouTubers. There are nice folk about but I find it a 50/50 mix these days. Once you’ve set aside the willy wavers, the autistics, the “can I make you famous” brigade and 5,428 Triumph Stags, there are about 6 people left who I’d like to talk to. 

Ultimately, I keep the old cars much for the same reason I maintain an old house - because it’s nice to preserve things and renovate them. Fixing stuff and making things better is therapy. It’s also my closest and most intimate connection to a time in life that is lost and gone forever. 

I’d echo the motorbike thing though. I rode for the first time a few weeks ago, and grinned from ear to ear like NO motor car has EVER made me do. Ever. I now hanker for a big tourer. 

I can understand the sentiments of the OP.  I've driven minis for commuting but it usually took at least an hour to get my internal organs back in their correct positions.  I was much younger then.  

I enjoyed driving my Hyundai Stellar as an everyday car and only parted with it in 2017 because my condition was preventing me from dealing with the inevitable issues of an older car.  My '94 Tipo FTP'd in mid 2023 and has not turned a wheel since.  Again, my inability to do much on cars has dampened my enthusiasm for it. It will probably be gone in the next few weeks.  That leaves me with a modern vehicle and a '61 Reliant Regal MKVI (owned since 1992).  During the period 2005 to 2010  I drove it quite often, sometimes doing more than 100 miles in a day.  It has a surprisingly comfortable driving position and the very basic seat is also fine for 3-4 hours.  It is also very noisy, has a very fierce clutch, numerous rattles and demands great care to keep it out of the way of other road users (tractors, cyclists, mobility scooters). 17bhp takes a while to drag it up to 50mph.  I still like it (why??) but hardly ever drive it despite it being road worthy and road legal.  It will have to be sold this year to a younger masochist.          

For me, it's fun and something I look forward to. My classic is very nice to drive and comfortable despite the fact that it is quite worn out.

Negative things are that it is a bit underpowered with a 40kw diesel engine and is low geared so at higher speeds there is a lot of engine noise and it does not like speeds over 80km/h. And this limits its use a bit. But these things can be fixed with a more powerful engine and higher gearing.

20230723_094818.jpg.bb182b8ad0d67769d39feeb01c3086dc.jpg

The talk on here about motorbikes/scooters/mopeds makes me think… 

Ive never actually ridden or even been a passenger on any form of 2 wheeled motorcycle! In over 20 years of having my license.    
I’m not sure I’d trust myself with one tbh, let alone all the other idiots people on the roads.

10 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

The talk on here about motorbikes/scooters/mopeds makes me think… 

Ive never actually ridden or even been a passenger on any form of 2 wheeled motorcycle! In over 20 years of having my license.    
I’m not sure I’d trust myself with one tbh, let alone all the other idiots people on the roads.

Anyone worried about the safety of their Classic has no business on a bike. 
Most of my circle who rode regularly have packed it in because of their perception of other road users. 
I’d love a Cub but it would only get used for shuffling me around my own relatively safe neighbourhood tbh.