Fun in the bath.

red5

On 12/03/2022 at 09:44, chaseracer said:

Lightweight alloy 2CV engine has been used also, with fabricated crossmembers.

image.png

Oh cool! I had read about that being done, (I think @dollywobbler mentioned it at some point)

never seen a picture of it tho so thats neat to see! looks like its quite low down in there, stay away from speed bumps I would!

on a similar note I have wondered if you could stick a Steyr puch engine into a 2CV or the Fiat 126 powered, Panda 30, I dont think the Steyr puch engine has ever been used in a front engine application before?

(although I do seem to recall there was a bus that used a Steyr puch Flat twin as an auxiliary power unit for something)

on the carb front, I have chased up a leads, but still waiting to see if they are able to bear fruit

funnily enough one of the leads is someone with a Model 70 who came to me a couple years ago needing a carburettor, so I found them one :) 

(see if someone else in my hobbies needs something, be it a rare lightbulb, a computer/computer part or something Invacar related, I can find it no problem, but should I need something for myself, can I fuck LOL)

but as they got that carb, they where able to fix what was wrong with their existing carb, so the one I found has been sitting around since then, so I have done the cheeky thing and asked about it! LOL

tho again apart from "it works" I have no idea what shape its in, I also dont currently know if its a Weber 32ICS3 or a Weber 32ICS10T

the 32ICS3, was used on all later 493cc Steyr puch vehicles and early Model 70's, but Later Model 70's (like REV) got the bespoke for Model 70, Weber 32ICS10T

and id like to stick with that if I can, I mean TWC has a later engine from 1976, but with a 32ICS3 carb from an earlier engine, and it clearly is down on power, and while I dont know for sure if for sure the carb miss-match is to blame

id like to avoid the same with REV if I can! (as I still have not found out what the difference is between the 32ICS3 and 32ICS10T, one of these days ill pony up £5 for the jetting PDF and see if any difference lies there or not)

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/weber-32ics10t-carburettor-factory-jetting-for-steyr-daimler-puch-invacar-493-cc-mod-1976

I do at least have an exploded digram for the 32IC10T!

32ICS10T.pdf

On 12/03/2022 at 12:58, LightBulbFun said:

on the carb front, I have chased up a leads, but still waiting to see if they are able to bear fruit

funnily enough one of the leads is someone with a Model 70 who came to me a couple years ago needing a carburettor, so I found them one :) 

(see if someone else in my hobbies needs something, be it a rare lightbulb, a computer/computer part or something Invacar related, I can find it no problem, but should I need something for myself, can I fuck LOL)

but as they got that carb, they where able to fix what was wrong with their existing carb, so the one I found has been sitting around since then, so I have done the cheeky thing and asked about it! LOL

tho again apart from "it works" I have no idea what shape its in, I also dont currently know if its a Weber 32ICS3 or a Weber 32ICS10T

chased this up and the guy wants an exhaust in exchange for said carburettor , so im SOL there

I mean I could MAYBE pull a few strings and get an exhaust from somewhere, probably at the cost of a significant amount of beer tokens, so if I was to go down such that route (assuming the person with the exhaust would want to part with it) id want to make sure the carb i would be getting in exchange was similarly in good condition and I just dont know on the carb this guy has (I dont even know if its a 32ICS3 or 32ICS10T)

but going back the issue of the 

On 10/03/2022 at 21:22, red5 said:

Spindle bush has a gap you can get a rat through, acc pump doesn't and hasn't for a long time...need a new one pref, or one that doesn't have those two things. 

I did some digging and found this,, is this the item thats worn? I noticed that this one in particular is listed as an over-sized 8.5Mm (standard they are 8Mm I think)

https://prokschi.at/puch-500/carburetors/throttle-valve-8-5mm-for-weber-carburetor-32-ics-504-1-08-415-6.html

ok its not in stock so its not much use but im wondering along the similar lines of an over-sized part, can the gap be bushed out or filled out somehow?

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

but going back the issue of the 

Spindle bush has a gap you can get a rat through, acc pump doesn't and hasn't for a long time...need a new one pref, or one that doesn't have those two things. 

I did some digging and found this,, is this the item thats worn? I noticed that this one in particular is listed as an over-sized 8.5Mm (standard they are 8Mm I think)

https://prokschi.at/puch-500/carburetors/throttle-valve-8-5mm-for-weber-carburetor-32-ics-504-1-08-415-6.html

ok its not in stock so its not much use but im wondering along the similar lines of an over-sized part, can the gap be bushed out or filled out somehow?

@red5 is it the brass shaft thats worn or is it the casting it goes into?

because I Have managed to find Half of a weber 32ICS, not sure if its the right half but heres a link anyway LOL

https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/haflinger-carburettor-top-504-108-4011.html

18 hours ago, red5 said:

Nice. It's the body that's needed really chief. Found something that might be suitable. Need mount dimension though. 

Just thinking about it

@dollywobbler do you still have the remains of TPA's original carb?

since I know TPA (His spares car for TWC, and Zels Model 70) came with the bottom half of a carb still attached to its manifold

that Model 70 had a later 1976 Engine fitted which should in theory in turn have been fitted with a Weber 32iCS10T

so I wonder if that bottom half would be any good? granted it spent something like 18 years out in the wether so probably not, but figured its worth mentioning just incase

2 hours ago, red5 said:

Well, we have reached a point where a carb is needed to progress. Esp as ones in bits...😁

I have sent some more messages out, I know someone with a table full of carbs!

image.thumb.png.3e17504440839dc7428a5a558e8c8f3c.png

so have obviously dropped that person a message!

1 hour ago, red5 said:

Had crossed my mind. Also any number of generic bike type carbs etc. However...

in the meantime here is a rough list of all the general types of carbs found on Steyr puch Flat twins

https://prokschi.at/puch-500-500-s-from-1968-1973/carburetors.html

59 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I have sent some more messages out, I know someone with a table full of carbs!

image.thumb.png.3e17504440839dc7428a5a558e8c8f3c.png

so have obviously dropped that person a message!

in the meantime here is a rough list of all the general types of carbs found on Steyr puch Flat twins

https://prokschi.at/puch-500-500-s-from-1968-1973/carburetors.html

I'm afraid thats a 404

31 minutes ago, red5 said:

I'm afraid thats a 404

ahh that will be the Shitty website that company uses, it Randomly 404's from time to time for no good reason

https://prokschi.at/

if you go to puch 500 1968-1973 and go to the carburettor selection in the drop down menu it will take ya to the same page

heres a screenshot of the web page if it still refuses to play ball

image.thumb.png.2d6622dab44652b452230bce44b52620.png

but I may have found a lead on a carb, so I have sent you a PM if you have an address I can get it posted too?

(no point getting it sent to me LOL)

1 minute ago, chaseracer said:

2CV twin-choke Solex?

funnily I was thinking about that, as one Solex, the 40PID was a offical Steyr puch carb so to speak and even listed in the Workshop manual for the Model 70 (but I have never seen a Model 70 with a solex carb so go figure!)

I was looking a 32 ICH or similar, using a very rough CFM similarity. Ish. 

Very rough.

However, carb asap. Then I can sort throttle cable and chock and set it up so it can move with no faff. 

Then sort pump and wiring (cable runs where I want to secure it to currently).

Brakes still work just fine. 

Kingpin grease possibly. Front brake strip (again after running sorted).

If you have belts send them as well. 

18 minutes ago, red5 said:

I was looking a 32 ICH or similar, using a very rough CFM similarity. Ish. 

Very rough.

However, carb asap. Then I can sort throttle cable and chock and set it up so it can move with no faff. 

Then sort pump and wiring (cable runs where I want to secure it to currently).

Brakes still work just fine. 

Kingpin grease possibly. Front brake strip (again after running sorted).

If you have belts send them as well. 

yeah a friend of mine was sending me links to various Weber 32ICE's that seem to be on ebay, but I have no idea how to figure out what would or would not work!

when you say belts, are you referring to the dyanstart belt or the main CVT Drive belt?

I dont have any Dynastart belts spare, but they are off the shelf belt thankfully, Gates 6262MC so should not be too hard to find hopefully :) 

and for the main CVT drive, I included a few good NOS main CVT drive-belts in the bags of spare parts I put in REV's footwell :) 

so one of those should do the trick hopefully :) 

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

yeah a friend of mine was sending me links to various Weber 32ICE's that seem to be on ebay, but I have no idea how to figure out what would or would not work!

when you say belts, are you referring to the dyanstart belt or the main CVT Drive belt?

I dont have any Dynastart belts spare, but they are off the shelf belt thankfully, Gates 6262MC so should not be too hard to find hopefully :) 

and for the main CVT drive, I included a few good NOS main CVT drive-belts in the bags of spare parts I put in REV's footwell :) 

so one of those should do the trick hopefully :) 

Ah. I'll have a look Friday. 👍

1 minute ago, red5 said:

Ah. I'll have a look Friday. 👍

yeah Im hoping that her CVT pulleys themselves are ok! they sadly dont take kindly to sitting around getting damp for long periods of time! so im a bit nervous about them, last i saw of them the pulley faces looked OK, but I have never been able to take her on a high speed run to see how they behaved

but the only way to test that is to take her on a good high speed run (a good running Model 70 should easily hit 60-70Mph, but one with say poorly pulleys will struggle to hit 50) and obviously for that we need to find a good carb!

I do have a set of NOS pulleys but they are in in a parts stash elsewhere, so I was not able to include them with the car, sadly

but if a pulley need replacing, then I can get those sent down (although I was very kindly given 1 good NOS pulley when I was given the belts and the door seals, so I have included that in the footwell parts stash with REV just incase!) 

I was wondering If I should just have the NOS set sent down and have the pulleys preemptively changed, but I dont know if thats too much work or not!

Anyways, carb fun.

Hmm. 

On 15/03/2022 at 20:01, LightBulbFun said:

@red5 is it the brass shaft thats worn or is it the casting it goes into?

because I Have managed to find Half of a weber 32ICS, not sure if its the right half but heres a link anyway LOL

https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/haflinger-carburettor-top-504-108-4011.html

On 15/03/2022 at 20:14, red5 said:

Nice. It's the body that's needed really chief. Found something that might be suitable. Need mount dimension though. 

where is this spindle bush in question? im just trying to figure out exactly what is worn and needs replacing/fixing

is it this spindle the big brass butterfly valve in this photo attaches too? 

IMG_20220314_120459.jpg

if thats the case, in the photo above it looks like it does attatch to the upper housing of the carburettor

so I am just wondering, why its a main body that is needed and why the upper half I found is not suitable? as it looks like the spindle does attach to the upper half of the carb, so I was thinking that getting a replacement top half would solve the issue?

image.png.65601c35c473fa67001ec17d3a4e3e95.png

but I really cant claim to know stuff about carburettors so im just asking, incase your on about something entirely different that is in the main body? Im just trying to figure out and better understand whats going on :) 

and obviously try and help solve the problems at hand if I can! :) 

(like is a main body needed because of issues with the accelerator pump as well?)

30 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

It's the throttle spindle I think was being referred to, which is right down at the base of the carb.  The butterfly at the top is the choke.

15 minutes ago, red5 said:

Yup, the base. And the acc pump/mech is , well, not.

A carb or base would be preferable. 

2 minutes ago, red5 said:

16481278373238149029216690044845.jpg

16481278527159158245766600865438.jpg

1648127896731271364141695478589.jpg

ahhh my apologies! that makes sense now! :) 

I did not realise there was a 2nd butterfly valve like that

thank you for the visual pictures helps me much better understand whats wrong :)