Long in the tooth learner shite!

SunnySouth

Local driving school here runs a 2006 Chevy Impala that's been resprayed in a really nice electric blue, and repaired* expertly* with purple here and there.

They also run a giffer-spec 2005 Ford Crown Victoria, in metallic cream. 

Amusing because the instructor is so short she can barely see over the dash.

Phil

23 hours ago, PhilA said:

Local driving school here runs a 2006 Chevy Impala that's been resprayed in a really nice electric blue, and repaired* expertly* with purple here and there.

They also run a giffer-spec 2005 Ford Crown Victoria, in metallic cream. 

Amusing because the instructor is so short she can barely see over the dash.

Phil

Mmmmmm metallic cream! 😂

It is probably the other end of the spectrum, but one of these drove past on my way home in full learner livery.

Hyundai i30 2.0T GDI N Performance

image.png.ca1f290f48d4b07eccccd81975176ae2.png

• Performance6

• 0-62mph6.10 seconds
    • Top Speed155 mph
    • Cylinders4
    • Valves16
    • Engine power271 bhp
    • Engine torque279.00 lbs/ft

For just a minor thread divert, I recall when one of my driving instructor friends got a new car, I think it was a 1.9 diesel Clio.  The Driving Test Centre (Paisley) were furious as they believed it was unstallable and gave her clients an unfair advantage.  Probably true but it was only quirky because it was so unusual with most driving schools having 1.1 Fiestas or Metros at the time.

I learned in a purple Rover 100, mainly because my mum also had a 100 (in metallic turquoise) at the time and I could practice in a familiar car outside my lessons.  Bought my mum's 100 off her when I passed my test (20 years ago this year, that's a bit scary!)

Here in Norway you have to take the driving test in the driving school's car. And no driving schools here have older cars. So I tok the driving test in Norway's number 1 car in the 1990s and 2000s, a diesel Passat estate, which was a little different to the tired old Volvo I learned to drive in and was used to.

53 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Here in Norway you have to take the driving test in the driving school's car. 

Same!

And no driving schools here have older cars.

Most of our driving schools use mundane modern cars, but there are a few oddities around. It has probably been retired now, but up until at least 2012 a driving school in Amsterdam had a Volvo 340 as a back-up car...