JMotor's project car thread. Corsa B progress!

JMotor

Mechanical pump is the way to go.  Might take a little bit longer to prime than an electric but at least they don't tend to just randomly fail for no reason and can be removed for replacement if they do fail without getting petrol absolutely everywhere and then refuse to seal when you install the new one.  Also don't have to put up with the duggadugga vibrating through everything that you get with most electric in line pumps.

Good point. 

Plus I don't want to guddle about with wiring ATM. 

So this evening's farting about. With vidjas!! 

The fuel pipes were bone dry. Yep buggered pump. 

Not a terrible job to replace. Just awkward in a mildly annoying way. Once fitted, I just sent it with winding it over on the starter with a jump from a friend's Volvo. 

Not even 30 seconds later we had this!

Was happy to hear the A-Series thrumming away again.

12 minutes ago, JMotor said:

Good point. 

Plus I don't want to guddle about with wiring ATM. 

So this evening's farting about. With vidjas!! 

The fuel pipes were bone dry. Yep buggered pump. 

Not a terrible job to replace. Just awkward in a mildly annoying way. Once fitted, I just sent it with winding it over on the starter with a jump from a friend's Volvo. 

Not even 30 seconds later we had this!

Was happy to hear the A-Series thrumming away again.

YESSS! Moar Maestro power putting the world back on its axis. Good work. 

That's another good point.

I did check the rubber pipes to the pump and saw no cracks or weird flaking. However it could of played a part? As the diaphragm would be made from a different type of rubber

I have been running this car on E10 fuel. 

That said, I do think it's more age and mileage being the cause of this failure. The one I took off look like the original pump and the car has done over 190K KM's in 24 years. 

Not dismissing the fuel though. As the MK2 Polo I owned did two pumps. The original and then the new replacement didn't last. Potentially that was down to me not using the car much and newer fuel.

On 22/02/2024 at 14:37, grogee said:

I hope it's reasonably waterproof inside - it's pissing down today. 

So far, no rainwater has gotten in. 

Does leak in a different way. Those fucking metal heater matrix pipes have another pin hole in them. It's enough to dampen the pipes and no more. 

More epoxy required before it becomes a proper issue.

• JMotor changed the title to JMotor's project car thread.

Did a little more last night. 

Tidied out the Corsa ready for moving. This weekend should see the car going to the spray shop.

Here is a video of this Corsa running. 

Do like the fact it starts and runs. I will look at reusing a standard Corsa air box to keep it looking factory done. Slight howl coming from the charging whirler, think the bearings are suspect.

Body shop time!!

DSC_0493.thumb.JPG.97c2d80012586b24e9dd0597d0d38498.JPG

This turned out to be a harder job than I thought.

Transport had to bail on me today due to unexpected issues with the tow vehicle. 

I tried everyone I knew with a trailer. Couldn't help, which is fair dos far too short notice. Then wondered up to a neighbouring shed on the off chance someone could help me.

They could! Car loaded. Panels loaded in a another vehicle and delivered. I knocked the exhaust off with the edge of the trailer! But quickly tied up and we're done.

Couldn't believe my luck today. Could of easily been a shit show. However thanks to the helpfulness of others it's made it. 

Sadly there was a high price pay for the gentleman's help....

4 bottles of pinot grigio 😆😆.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of an update.

However I've still work ahead to complete.

Door cards. The front card backings aren't great. Drivers is in the worst state. I'll get creative with some glues, meshes and fibreglass. DSC_0528.JPG.3154256af78fb334b72b7e87c6ac64da.JPG

Repairing them might not make sense. But I can't get replacements easily and I want to keep as much of the stock LS trim as possible. As it'll fit in with my choice of front seats. 

The LS fabric came up nice with a spell in the washing machine. Hand washed first to remove the buggered foam.

DSC_0527.JPG.afce381ead8113540e04264fe75dc637.JPG

Bumpers are rashed and in need of a revamp. Waiting on the products for that, I've bought the texture paint like what PeterC used on his Sierra. With cans of Buzzweld PIO to redye all the rest of the plastics.

DSC_0529.JPG.d022e8bc3cee488dbea61d1af63cc575.JPG

None of the above work will restore these parts back to as new. I just want presentable for this car. Repair is going to save me time and hassle in the long run. 

14 hours ago, JMotor said:

Not much of an update.

However I've still work ahead to complete.

Door cards. The front card backings aren't great. Drivers is in the worst state. I'll get creative with some glues, meshes and fibreglass. DSC_0528.JPG.3154256af78fb334b72b7e87c6ac64da.JPG

Repairing them might not make sense. But I can't get replacements easily and I want to keep as much of the stock LS trim as possible. As it'll fit in with my choice of front seats. 

The LS fabric came up nice with a spell in the washing machine. Hand washed first to remove the buggered foam.

DSC_0527.JPG.afce381ead8113540e04264fe75dc637.JPG

Bumpers are rashed and in need of a revamp. Waiting on the products for that, I've bought the texture paint like what PeterC used on his Sierra. With cans of Buzzweld PIO to redye all the rest of the plastics.

DSC_0529.JPG.d022e8bc3cee488dbea61d1af63cc575.JPG

None of the above work will restore these parts back to as new. I just want presentable for this car. Repair is going to save me time and hassle in the long run. 

On the road for summer easy!!

Got high as ole Sass mate on some P40 today.

Because I used a fair bit of a tub on the door cards. Not sure what these are made from, do know it does degrade badly. It turns to powder if it suffers any damage. Happy I've managed to something to stabilise these. Again saves me more effort to find replacements.

DSC_0536.JPG.ed725c246653131334eb835a2f3b0964.JPG

I'll scuff this mess down another day.

On to the bumpers. A good clean with some G101 and a green scratchy pad first.

DSC_0538.JPG.be7c01895206e492d5f5486e5d1b5781.JPG

Then force dried with a space heater. Knocked down any scuffed bits with 140 and wiped with panel prep. Filled anything I considered deep with flexible plastic filler. Left this to cure for now.

DSC_0539.JPG.e9776b907689d6181e11a3cdf791d67b.JPG

The last picture is of me doing a test section with the texture paint. My phone couldn't pick up the finish I got. Which I'm actually happy about! It blends in nice! Once I've spot sprayed the repaired areas and coated it all in the plastic dye I have, I'd dare say it'll give me the 10 footer look I wanted.

DSC_0540.JPG.1874e05fc043db791bac7ee300ef98d7.JPG

• JMotor changed the title to JMotor's project car thread. Corsa B progress!

Bit of a milestone here.

Bodyshop has cracked on. I don't have many in progress photos yet. A pal took these of them colour sanding the car.

Messenger_creation_b663acc0-5962-4310-9bed-9cb39b39ad8c.jpeg.6b9d8757682974b4dd3d58a141e8e4ab.jpeg

Messenger_creation_a4d5729a-3cbf-4b9f-997f-bfc795292d2c.jpeg.849c1082a962990e4a9104471a9f1dfa.jpeg

Then, I got the message to say it's ready to pick up. That happened today.

DSC_0553.JPG.caf4c8c91971ee4464c3a722a402d8ad.JPG

I'm really happy with the car. Such a boost to see this now in a single colour!

Can't be having everything one way though!

DSC_0551.JPG.6444bc0c35911f298baf3df5fe7168cb.JPG

I love the misery! 😆

Little more done today.

Plan was to get the locks and handles to work as they should.

DSC_0562.JPG.22461b257158a78734f52ba31d526fa3.JPG

Knocked the pivot pin for the handle out on both handles to replace the return springs on them. They now work as intended. With a couple of coats with that plastic dye to finish the job.

Washed all parts I reused with G101. Quite a bit of muck came off every thing. Fitting the windows was a little annoying. 

The final result looks quite good (to me) though.

DSC_0563.JPG.189af0edda29c5ead396032230dc6bd9.JPG

Used a razor blade to scrape the shit off the windows with glass cleaner to finish. Amazing how well they came out.

Tomorrow will be spent on the car. Might jump to a different part. 

It'll have gone the same way as the Nova scene.

People go daft for a Miami blue Novas for the same reason. The funky colours work so well on these little superminis.

Your old Satin Red B looked the part too. That colour also suits the shape.

Think I'm gonna enjoy putting this little shitbox back together. Then kick it's head in when I get it on the road.

Don't tell me if you don't want, but how much? My brush paint job is killing me now and I'm seeing old English white or farina grey with a black roof. Obvs you did the prep yourself mind

36 minutes ago, Matty said:

Don't tell me if you don't want, but how much? My brush paint job is killing me now and I'm seeing old English white or farina grey with a black roof. Obvs you did the prep yourself mind

I'll pm M9.